Watch This Squat

Sounds like you had a very bad experience …

Maybe some things are more important than how you look.

There’s no doubt that Big Rob has a shit ton of muscle under that fat.

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
I never said I didn’t think his feat of strength it a great one, you guys are putting words in my mouth. Most will never accomplish that in their life even if they tried but did I really need to post that because everyone here already knows that fact? You asked me what I thought… BTW, I bet that guy would look awful in posing trunks. He may be big but his physique is not impressive at all to me

What I see when I look at powerlifters like this is large jug butts and massive guts… Have you guys ever actually been to a powerlifting meet? I actually competed in one and it turned me off completely. Every guy there talked about all these injuries they constantly suffer from. strained this… torn ligament that… fucked up my knee/back… Everyone was so bandaged up you could smell the liniment anywhere in the building. It may be impressive to lift all that weight but the human body wasn’t made to lift these tremendous poundages and pretty much anyone that continues this style for long enough time ends up having all sorts of scar tissue, joint and ligament damage. Its not if, its when… All i could think once I left is I don’t want to be like that. That’s what turned me off of powerlifting and onto natural bodybuilding (the IFBB olympia stuff isn’t much better than the gorillas seen here).[/quote]

First, I’d point out that there are guys who stay healthy and are in the game for a long time. Second, generally, guys talking about injuries are bragging to make themselves look tough, you have to take war stories with a grain of salt. Third, except for maybe the heavies and superheavies, powerlifters tend to be reasonably lean and well muscled. Fourth, powerlifting is a sport where you try to lift the most weight having nothing to do with how you look, would you go on a tennis forum and make comments about how tennis doesn’t lead to the ideal bodybuilding physique?

So, the main question is, why the hell are you even on a powerlifting forum?

Ironically, the guys squatting in this thread are probably closer to a great bobybuilding physique than you are.

[quote]GhostOD wrote:
Maybe some things are more important than how you look. [/quote]
No way

[quote]GhostOD wrote:
Maybe some things are more important than how you look. [/quote]

That’s just something ugly people say.

Typical fat powerlifter.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Ironically, the guys squatting in this thread are probably closer to a great bobybuilding physique than you are.

[/quote]

You posted on this before it was moved to the powerlifting forum so don’t pretend like it was here all along… I wouldn’t have posted my first comment if that was the case. It was in the bodybuilding forum, and to be honest that guy doesn’t have anywhere close to a bodybuilding physique as far as shape definition and aesthetics are concerned. Hence my comment about having a huge gut and massive rear end.

In bodybuilding, if you merely build muscle size for the sake of stretching the tape measure, you are doomed to develop a so-so physique, without personality and impact. Size without shape looks grotesque and people that don’t heed this concept have the impact of an unmade bed when they take the stage.

The goal in both sports is similar though. To continually to improve upon what you have already accomplished. Either you can impress people with how much you have improved by the numbers you lift or by how great you look.

While some war stories may be hyperbole, I could see the damage this lifting style inflicted upon their joints tendons and ligaments. You don’t have bandaged wrists shoulders or knees if they aren’t hurting or previously injured. You may be healthy when you 20 and full of steam but down the road those weights the human body was never meant to lift will do irreversible damage. I want a lifelong hobby that is also healthy for me. Outcomes like almost guaranteed injuries and carrying large excesses fat in order to lift more don’t appeal to me in the same way looking good doesn’t appeal to some of the powerlifters posting here.

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

You posted on this before it was moved to the powerlifting forum so don’t pretend like it was here all along… I wouldn’t have posted my first comment if that was the case. It was in the bodybuilding forum, and to be honest that guy doesn’t have anywhere close to a bodybuilding physique as far as shape definition and aesthetics are concerned. Hence my comment about having a huge gut and massive rear end.

In bodybuilding, if you merely build muscle size for the sake of stretching the tape measure, you are doomed to develop a so-so physique, without personality and impact. Size without shape looks grotesque and people that don’t heed this concept have the impact of an unmade bed when they take the stage.

The goal in both sports is similar though. To continually to improve upon what you have already accomplished. Either you can impress people with how much you have improved by the numbers you lift or by how great you look.

While some war stories may be hyperbole, I could see the damage this lifting style inflicted upon their joints tendons and ligaments. You don’t have bandaged wrists shoulders or knees if they aren’t hurting or previously injured. You may be healthy when you 20 and full of steam but down the road those weights the human body was never meant to lift will do irreversible damage. I want a lifelong hobby that is also healthy for me. Outcomes like almost guaranteed injuries and carrying large excesses fat in order to lift more don’t appeal to me in the same way looking good doesn’t appeal to some of the powerlifters posting here.[/quote]

So dismal. No one said looking good was a bad thing. Just a difference in goals.

[quote]mbbmrb wrote:
Typical fat powerlifter.[/quote]
Typical internet dumbass.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

[quote]mbbmrb wrote:
Typical fat powerlifter.[/quote]
Typical internet dumbass.[/quote]
Atypical PR bro.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

So dismal. No one said looking good was a bad thing. Just a difference in goals.

[/quote]

If the majority of those posts meant that powerlifting and bodybuilding are two different goals then my reading comprehension sucks. I saw it as being berated for being so vain, which is the point of bodybuilding. That any developing the strength of your vitality through nutrition

You can always tell when wanna-be-BBers come over to the PL forum because we all get stupider.

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
I never said I didn’t think his feat of strength it a great one, you guys are putting words in my mouth. Most will never accomplish that in their life even if they tried but did I really need to post that because everyone here already knows that fact? You asked me what I thought… BTW, I bet that guy would look awful in posing trunks. He may be big but his physique is not impressive at all to me

What I see when I look at powerlifters like this is large jug butts and massive guts… Have you guys ever actually been to a powerlifting meet? I actually competed in one and it turned me off completely. Every guy there talked about all these injuries they constantly suffer from. strained this… torn ligament that… fucked up my knee/back… Everyone was so bandaged up you could smell the liniment anywhere in the building. It may be impressive to lift all that weight but the human body wasn’t made to lift these tremendous poundages and pretty much anyone that continues this style for long enough time ends up having all sorts of scar tissue, joint and ligament damage. Its not if, its when… All i could think once I left is I don’t want to be like that. That’s what turned me off of powerlifting and onto natural bodybuilding (the IFBB olympia stuff isn’t much better than the gorillas seen here).[/quote]

There is literally two stellar logs over in the Training Log section of this site, that follow 2 top level PL’ers whose physiques are lean and muscular (Ben Rice and Kameron Ross). I understand you had a bad experience, but I feel maybe you should dig a little deeper before writing it off all together. Just food for thought…

Hungry4More

/thread

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

While some war stories may be hyperbole, I could see the damage this lifting style inflicted upon their joints tendons and ligaments. You don’t have bandaged wrists shoulders or knees if they aren’t hurting or previously injured. You may be healthy when you 20 and full of steam but down the road those weights the human body was never meant to lift will do irreversible damage. I want a lifelong hobby that is also healthy for me. Outcomes like almost guaranteed injuries and carrying large excesses fat in order to lift more don’t appeal to me in the same way looking good doesn’t appeal to some of the powerlifters posting here.[/quote]

There’s something to be said for one who realizes the risks in something, but pursues it anyway because that is their calling.

ah shit now I gotta quit powerlifting…anyone have posing trunks and protan I can borrow

[quote]EndersDrift2 wrote:
Hungry4More

/thread[/quote]

Agreed

So I wonder when I should quit before I hurt myself? Did a bodybuilding show in June, became a lard ass by Nov, and did 2 powerlifting meets that month. Maybe a better question is…what is old? I sure don’t want to do any permanent damage, and not enjoy the golden years.

[quote]greystoke wrote:
So I wonder when I should quit before I hurt myself? Did a bodybuilding show in June, became a lard ass by Nov, and did 2 powerlifting meets that month. Maybe a better question is…what is old? I sure don’t want to do any permanent damage, and not enjoy the golden years.[/quote]

To late. I give maybe 2 or 3 months left of walking, then a wheelchair for 6 to 8 months, after that it’s hospice…