Was the Moon Landing a Hoax?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
A hoax? No. A complete scam and waste of taxpayer money? Most definitely.[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
orion wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
A hoax? No. A complete scam and waste of taxpayer money? Most definitely.

Spare us your bullshit. The space program is one of the greatest achievements in this country’s history.

Cool.

What has it achieved?

And why were people made to pay for it who had more pressing problems?

For the higher glory of the empire?

There you go again.

It has achieved the exquisite pleasure of inducing envy and begrudging respect from citizens of second rate countries who spend their time on internet forums displaying their obsessive preoccupation with belittling the accomplishments of the United States. That alone would have been worth the resources spent on the space program. However, as a bonus, numerous now mundane civilian technologies, including some in the machine you’re staring at right now were born or greatly enhanced in our glorious space program.

This is the part where you snap your fingers angrily and grit your teeth glaring at the floor mumbling obscenities about being spanked by the evil Americans again.[/quote]

God, its so easy, is it not.

A bridge to nowhere is bad, but A GIANT BRIDGE TO NOWHERE is awesome.

Well, I guess that answers a few questions I had in another thread, so thank you.

I for one do not feel like financing such adventures and I hope that the glory of empire will feed and clothe your family.

Do you think there is a place for government funding of, let’s say…art? Why or why not?

[quote]forlife wrote:
Do you think there is a place for government funding of, let’s say…art? Why or why not?[/quote]

Well, forcing someone to pay for something to which they object seems immoral to me. All relationships between human beings should be voluntary.

[quote]forlife wrote:
Do you think there is a place for government funding of, let’s say…art? Why or why not?[/quote]

No-

Because a brick layer in Wyoming needs to feed his family and not pay for abstract modernism at gunpoint.

I’m not so extreme as that. Obviously, bread is more important than art. However, both have a place, in my opinion. Even if you channelled every tax dollar to feeding the poor, you would come up short. Once you accept that, it is easier to see the value of social programs that meet higher human needs.

Think of it in terms of Maslow’s hierarchy. You could channel 100% of taxes into the bottom of the pyramid, or you could provide funding at all levels, emphasizing the bottom, but still addressing the higher level needs.

Not a hoax, and along with interstate highways space exploration is one of the few things I don’t mind paying for with my taxes.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I’m not so extreme as that. Obviously, bread is more important than art. However, both have a place, in my opinion. Even if you channelled every tax dollar to feeding the poor, you would come up short. Once you accept that, it is easier to see the value of social programs that meet higher human needs.

Think of it in terms of Maslow’s hierarchy. You could channel 100% of taxes into the bottom of the pyramid, or you could provide funding at all levels, emphasizing the bottom, but still addressing the higher level needs.[/quote]

You are forgetting that I am also against tax monies to feed to poor.

[quote]orion wrote:
You are forgetting that I am also against tax monies to feed to poor.
[/quote]

I was just expressing my own opinion, not trying to discredit yours :slight_smile:

For the record: I support my taxes being used to fund Moon/Mars missions. What Trekkie wouldn’t?

Didn’t the space program give us cool things like Satellite TV, GPS, improved weather forcasting etc. I’m sure there are many other less obvious benefits as well.

FightinIrish26 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Spare us your bullshit. The space program is one of the greatest achievements in this country’s history.

It wasn’t your achievement – and neither was it an achievement of “this country” but rather those people more intelligent than you and everyone else. Just like taking glory in all those sporting events that you did not participate in but rather watched on TV. It makes you feel good but at the end of the day you’re still a loser.

But by all means believe what ever helps you feel good, simpleton.[/quote]

What in the fuck are you talking about?

It was American tax money that funded putting a man on the moon, sending the Voyager spacecraft out of the solar system, and all of the other incredible achievements we’ve had in the name of science. And it was “this country” that did it, so fuck yourself with that one.

You are such a whining fool it’s unbelievable that anyone except Adolf from Austria ever agrees with you.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
Didn’t the space program give us cool things like Satellite TV, GPS, improved weather forcasting etc. I’m sure there are many other less obvious benefits as well.[/quote]

Nobody claims that governments are not able to achieve anything.

They just take twice as long and cost thrice as much.

[quote]orion wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Cool.

What has it achieved?

For the higher glory of the empire?[/quote]

For the glory of mankind, more like it. For Science and Knowledge and Humanity, to understand the fundamental questions that have haunted humanity since it first looked at the stars?

I know that the only thing that matters to you is tax money and belittling Jews, but even you fascist types have to have some appreciation for that kind of incredible project.

Or not.

Mythbusters did this and decided it was real.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
orion wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Cool.

What has it achieved?

For the glory of mankind, more like it. For Science and Knowledge and Humanity, to understand the fundamental questions that have haunted humanity since it first looked at the stars?

I know that the only thing that matters to you is tax money and belittling Jews, but even you fascist types have to have some appreciation for that kind of incredible project.

Or not. [/quote]

Not only am I not a fascist, I also have not belittled one single Jew while on this board you lying piece of shit.

And thank you, you too have helped me out incredibly with a few questions I raised in another thread.

edited

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
And it was “this country” that did it, so fuck yourself with that one.
[/quote]

You are wrong. It was a certain few individuals who collected tax monies that had the ability to do the work. “This country” does not actually exist other than as some abstract collective idea. “This country” cannot act. The individuals in “this country” act.

That is the way it is.

[quote]orion wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
orion wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Cool.

What has it achieved?

Or not.

Not only am I not a fascist, I also have not belittled one single Jew while on this board you lying piece of shit.

And thank you, you too have helped me out incredibly with a few questions I raised in another thread.

edited
[/quote]

Irish, he never comes to the Storm Trooper meetings, so I’ll vouch for him. :wink:

Orion, I’ve never read anything by you belittling Jews and you’re a free market capitalist. I don’t know how that becomes ‘fascism’.

Irish, put down the brewskies, man.

[quote]OBoile wrote:
Didn’t the space program give us cool things like Satellite TV, GPS, improved weather forcasting etc. I’m sure there are many other less obvious benefits as well.[/quote]

The products that came out of the space program are countless and I am sure everyone’s life has been improved in some way through these products. I’m surprised to see such dislike.

Baby food, portable/cordless tools, athletic shoes, fire resistant material, smoke detectors, velcro, CAT scans, engine lubes, radiation insulation, kidney dialysis machine, plant research, etc, etc

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Irish, he never comes to the Storm Trooper meetings, so I’ll vouch for him. :wink:

Orion, I’ve never read anything by you belittling Jews and you’re a free market capitalist. I don’t know how that becomes ‘fascism’.

Irish, put down the brewskies, man.

[/quote]

I’ve seen him be a cheerleader for the Nazi armies whenever we talk about WWII. It’s hard to pull for that side but Orion has done it.

FightinIrish26 wrote:
And it was “this country” that did it, so fuck yourself with that one.

You are wrong. It was a certain few individuals who collected tax monies that had the ability to do the work. “This country” does not actually exist other than as some abstract collective idea. “This country” cannot act. The individuals in “this country” act.

That is the way it is.
[/quote]

Not to diminish your point Lifticus, but “this country” (which is your country by the way, like it or not) do exist in the head of millions of americans and there is nothing abstract in it. It’s you who has the abstract interpretation. It’s totally valid, but it does not erase the common conception. Just like you can look at swarms of insects as a unity you can look at human collectives as a unity <:)