T Nation

Was I Wrong?

Here’s the story: It was Friday night and I was training a couple of College athletes. We generally use the University facility but it was closed for reno’s so we went to one of the local gyms. I have trained several HS groups there and have a good relationship with them. Tonight, however, they charged me triple for the drop in because there were only 3 of us. No problem, but I was a little choked since I have personally brought them over $2000 this past year.

Anyway, I go to the back to set up in the Aerobic room. It is huge, around 2000 sq. ft. I notice that the place is a disaster. Swiss balls, bosu, balance boards, and weights have not been put away. Even the platform where the instructor leads from is a mess. OK, I clean most of it up and set up my stuff. I also use the risers and platforms to do some plyo work.

We complete our workout in there with the plyo work and while the girls are getting some water and preparing to go to the weight room, I gather my stuff and put it neatly to the side. Remember, it’s Friday night, no one is there and no one scheduled to be there. I leave the risers while I get the girls set up with deads and squats. En route to the squat rack, a guy about my age and size walks by. I notice him not because he is older and well built, but because of the black spandex. (still causes gag reflex)

The next thing to get me going is the guy doing his curls in the squat rack. I maintain my composure in front of my athletes but am ticked.

After they are finished with this section, they move to do upper body work and I go to put away the risers/platforms. When I get there, I see that spandex guy as picked up the equipment, THROWN it randomly on the platform and is now doing crunches in front of the mirror with his wife/girlfriend. I am now officially pissed. I put the stuff away and come back to make some strong, yet non vulgar, comments, hoping for a confrontation, to aforementioned spandex dweeb, who says nothing (girl says she didn’t do it).

How would you have handled this?

Seen a shrink for anger management.

Accept the fact that there will be idiots in the world. The sooner you do this the sooner you’ll realize that time and energy is wasted when you react to this.

Have an open mind and don’t promote the stereotypical aggressive meat head figure.

Be kind and helpful, don’t lower yourself to “their” level.

Yeah swiss says it best.

Would I be rich If I invented a curl rack? that is basically a squat rack with “curls only” written on it? Are people really mentally limited to think just because its called a squat that thats all you can do in it? or that your legs are worth more than his bi’s?

People should learn to put their equipment back where they found it, but make sure that where they found it was the right place in the first place.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Would I be rich If I invented a curl rack? that is basically a squat rack with “curls only” written on it? Are people really mentally limited to think just because its called a squat that thats all you can do in it? or that your legs are worth more than his bi’s?

People should learn to put their equipment back where they found it, but make sure that where they found it was the right place in the first place. [/quote]

You mean doing something insane like say…using the rack from the preacher curl to hold your bar? Or finding a bench not in use and placing the bar on it between sets?

The reason people get so frustrated by curls in the squat rack is because a squat rack is pretty necessary for a squat, whereas there are a ton of possible ways you can do barbell curls without it. That doesn’t even bring into play the lack of power racks at most gyms(1-2 on average).

Are you seriously defending curling in a squat rack, Airtruth?

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
Are you seriously defending curling in a squat rack, Airtruth?[/quote]

It’s really not that big of a deal, as long as no one is waiting to use the rack.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
Are you seriously defending curling in a squat rack, Airtruth?

It’s really not that big of a deal, as long as no one is waiting to use the rack.[/quote]

Not to sound like a parent but isn’t that just setting an awful example to the newbie lifters around? They see someone curling in the squat rack that looks to be in decent shape and now it seems like a great idea. That’s pretty much how we got to where we’re at now right?

Your life would be much simpler and easy if you dont stress the little things.
See Ya

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

  1. Curling is the squat rack is fine unless someone needs it to squat.

  2. “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke.

To paraphrase the end of a Zen illustration, ‘I set her down at the side of the river. Are you still carrying her?’

Not at all brother man. If there were lots of people, yeah sure, it would have been rude, but on a Friday night, you had the right of way, IMO. The spandex guy could have easily used other equip. to do barbell curls. He probably wanted the mirror.

Thanx for the responses.

Just to clarify, I didn’t yell or call names. I guess the issue for me, also the parent to grown children, is that if my kids pulled a move like that (messing the place up and having total disregard, in public, of those who have to clean the place), I would have let them know the facts of life in no uncertain terms.

My other concern was that I get the message across so he wouldn’t do that again. I contemplated saying nothing as I cleaned up but figured he was too dense and wouldn’t get it.

[quote]TWalton wrote:
Thanx for the responses.

Just to clarify, I didn’t yell or call names. I guess the issue for me, also the parent to grown children, is that if my kids pulled a move like that (messing the place up and having total disregard, in public, of those who have to clean the place), I would have let them know the facts of life in no uncertain terms.

My other concern was that I get the message across so he wouldn’t do that again. I contemplated saying nothing as I cleaned up but figured he was too dense and wouldn’t get it. [/quote]

I hear ya on the clean up. If it’s one thing I absolutely LOATHE when I come to the gym (for example) it’s seeing a bench laden with 5 and 10 pound plates that somebody decided not to pick up. Or seeing plates all placed on one side of the gym. People need to respect gym etiquette, period.


You did it proper.
Since he stayed silent, I’m guessing he relieved he was “in the wrong” and wont do it again.
If he does do it again, approch him with some vulger language and if his wife/girlfriend steps up for him tell her, “Shut the Fuck Up; I’m talking to your man, not you.”

:slight_smile:

[quote]boatguy wrote:
To paraphrase the end of a Zen illustration, ‘I set her down at the side of the river. Are you still carrying her?’[/quote]

Are you saying TWalton has some deep seeded homosexual thoughts involving the man in black spandex??

:slight_smile:

[quote]red04 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
Would I be rich If I invented a curl rack? that is basically a squat rack with “curls only” written on it? Are people really mentally limited to think just because its called a squat that thats all you can do in it? or that your legs are worth more than his bi’s?

People should learn to put their equipment back where they found it, but make sure that where they found it was the right place in the first place.

You mean doing something insane like say…using the rack from the preacher curl to hold your bar? Or finding a bench not in use and placing the bar on it between sets?

The reason people get so frustrated by curls in the squat rack is because a squat rack is pretty necessary for a squat, whereas there are a ton of possible ways you can do barbell curls without it. That doesn’t even bring into play the lack of power racks at most gyms(1-2 on average).[/quote]

A preacher curl rack is um… half the width of a squat rack if i’m correct? what olympic barbell does your preacher curl rack hold? Oh let me straddle one of the benches EVERYBODY in the sports club is using, woke up with an itch to tea bag somebody. Better yet let me start doing my curls in this apparatus that is building up dust.

But soon as a guy comes over to squat I will suppress all my T, bitch up and give him the machine because by golly gee wow he’s squatting 405 (even though he pulls a back muscle squatting to move a box for his girlfriend, tears a hamstring going upstairs, and pulls an achilles slap boxing with his best friend “Thats not funny Brad”) Honestly the ways i’ve seen the power rack used in the gym.

  1. Holding wrist straps, towels, and old shirts
  2. That rotator cuff thing where you swing a 5lbser up and down to warm up for the bench.
  3. Stretching.(Evidently standing in the box and looking at mirrors is a great way to start your workout)
  4. Stiff legged/rdl/squat combo that High school kids do.
  5. Squats
  6. Curls

I am simply asking if I invented an apparatus that was wide enough to hold an olympic barbell at hip height for CURLING USE ONLY. That most fitness gyms would probably replace a rack for, would you guys be happier?