Was Given Advice in the Gym

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:

I don’t know how you gestured or what your tone of voice was like but the way it was written makes it sound like you could have had a sarcastic tone.

[/quote]

I can see how that would be misleading. Thats the problem with the interwebz, you cant see someone’s tone. But, I dont think he took it that way. He was just extremely honest with his answer. My overall point was that it was a refreshing change of pace from the everyday bullshit you get from the folks who do curls in the power-rack, or God-forbid dont even lift…

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
^^^ HEY FLIPCOLLAR member when your avi was house!!

AHhhHh I miss that show.
[/quote]

We all do… I sort of miss that avi as well, it made me giggle.

[quote]Holdthepickle wrote:

I don’t know how you gestured or what your tone of voice was like but the way it was written makes it sound like you could have had a sarcastic tone.

[/quote]

I can see how that would be misleading. Thats the problem with the interwebz, you cant see someone’s tone. But, I dont think he took it that way. He was just extremely honest with his answer. My overall point was that it was a refreshing change of pace from the everyday bullshit you get from the folks who do curls in the power-rack, or God-forbid dont even lift…[/quote]

I gotcha.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
5’7 and 215 isn’t small. [/quote]
this, and 6" taller with 30# heavier is essentially a wash LOL[/quote]
I heard it is approximately 10 pounds per inch…

So if this guy is 6 inches taller he would be “Approximately” the same size at 275.

[/quote]

pretty sure it’s 5#s, but it’s been years since I’ve read it. I’m sure it could range as well.

[/quote]

I can see how that would be misleading. Thats the problem with the interwebz, you cant see someone’s tone. But, I dont think he took it that way. He was just extremely honest with his answer. My overall point was that it was a refreshing change of pace from the everyday bullshit you get from the folks who do curls in the power-rack, or God-forbid dont even lift…[/quote]

I gotcha. [/quote]

I do curls in the power rack. But I own the rack :smiley:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[/quote]

I gotcha. [/quote]

I do curls in the power rack. But I own the rack :smiley:
[/quote]

Do you mean you literally own the rack, as in its in your garage? Or you own like you can squat a small house? Either way, if I have to wait to do squats because youre doing a triple drop set of biceps curls, then youre just a bad person.

One time Jokingly I said to a friend while he was on the ab machine I can do more weight. He didn’t notice what I was joking and stated firmly it’s not about weight.

Same guy

I hurt my knee, I couldn’t squat. He didn’t know that I hurt it but I told him I can’t squat he again stated the body does whatever you train it to do. (actually used a better word then train, something like --get it accustomed to)

This guy is about 6’1-2 205 when competing but looks nearly as cut and big at 235. Year around appears to be under 10% body fat, vertical at least 32+, and fast.

Both things he said I know, but they were both eye openers in the same way as I stopped and thought about how I let myself get wrapped up in training and while either chasing poundages, or upset for lack of performance I forgot some basic principals.

I’d love to go to a gym where I could look up to the other guys there. I’m not a kid so I won’t get jealous…it would be great.

haha apparently gyms in Taiwan are pretty well known for their character type members…

On a sidenote checking your ego at the door is pretty damn important for progress.

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
haha apparently gyms in Taiwan are pretty well known for their character type members…

On a sidenote checking your ego at the door is pretty damn important for progress. [/quote]

Yeah, the gyms here (I can go to any one of World Gym’s 6 or 7 branches in the city) are filled with preening douche bags.
I mean every gym has its guys that wear all the gear, like straps and wraps and sleeves and wear the belt all the time and have tight Nike compression T shirts and only do lateral raises, shrugs and curls because it’s the easiest thing to do in the gym…I mean get some dumbbells from waist height and you only move your arms for all those exercises…I mean if there are more than 2 guys in the gym here at least one is doing lateral raises.
So as I was saying, every gym has those kind of guys but my gym really is mostly those types of guys.

This next story i tell while knowing that it’ll sound like complete bullshit:

There’s a personal trainer at one branch that wears all the stuff (even 5 Fingers) and starts his incline DB bench with the 5lb dumbbells!
I saw that and was startled…but I said to myself, just wait…his top DBs will be what decides it…so he went on to do the 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s and topped out at the 35s. And this has happened three times that I’ve seen over a few months, so there’s none of that “He was likely working around an injury” stuff…just trust me on this.

Aw man I’m getting depressed now.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

On a sidenote checking your ego at the door is pretty damn important for progress. [/quote]

Yeah, the gyms here (I can go to any one of World Gym’s 6 or 7 branches in the city) are filled with preening douche bags.
I mean every gym has its guys that wear all the gear, like straps and wraps and sleeves and wear the belt all the time and have tight Nike compression T shirts and only do lateral raises, shrugs and curls because it’s the easiest thing to do in the gym…I mean get some dumbbells from waist height and you only move your arms for all those exercises…I mean if there are more than 2 guys in the gym here at least one is doing lateral raises.
So as I was saying, every gym has those kind of guys but my gym really is mostly those types of guys.

There’s a personal trainer at one branch that wears all the stuff (even 5 Fingers) and starts his incline DB bench with the 5lb dumbbells!
I saw that and was startled…but I said to myself, just wait…his top DBs will be what decides it…so he went on to do the 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s and topped out at the 35s. And this has happened three times that I’ve seen over a few months, so there’s none of that “He was likely working around an injury” stuff…just trust me on this.

Aw man I’m getting depressed now.[/quote]

I’ve read these scenes of yours previously, Nards, and each time I get that weird internal feeling (not sure if it’s nausea or vertigo), like “This cannot be true”.

But I know it is. And it makes me HATE those stupid fuckers with a white-hot passion!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

I’ve read these scenes of yours previously, Nards, and each time I get that weird internal feeling (not sure if it’s nausea or vertigo), like “This cannot be true”.

But I know it is. And it makes me HATE those stupid fuckers with a white-hot passion!
[/quote]

Thanks for understanding…and I know what you mean about it sounding unreal, that’s why i know to preface with that thing where I say it sounds like I’m making this up.

There’s a story I actually stopped telling from about 15 years ago, because it sounded like it could have been true but wasn’t good enough and I embellished it…here goes (remember, this IS true)
Me and a buddy were at a bar, drinking on the patio and Dan Aykroyd was on the street, only about 15 feet away sitting on his parked motorcycle chatting with another couple of people on motorcycles. He was in Winnipeg filming a movie.
I’d had a beer or two and decided to say something, I even waited till he wasn’t talking to the other people on the motorcycles.I figure he’d heard the usual stuff so I said “Mr. Aykroyd, I really liked you in Driving Miss Daisy
He didn’t turn his head but said “Thanks”

My buddy, who’d had a beer or two more than me instantly said “I liked in Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day!”
Dan Aykroyd finally looked at us and said “Uh, that was Bill Murray.”
My buddy said “Ah whatever, same thing!”

As I said I stopped telling that story with people I’ve met since (when my buddy Tim who said that isn’t around) because it just sounds made up. I saw it in people’s faces as I told it. Like they thought I was bullshitting.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for understanding…and I know what you mean about it sounding unreal, that’s why i know to preface with that thing where I say it sounds like I’m making this up.

There’s a story I actually stopped telling from about 15 years ago, because it sounded like it could have been true but wasn’t good enough and I embellished it…here goes (remember, this IS true)
Me and a buddy were at a bar, drinking on the patio and Dan Aykroyd was on the street, only about 15 feet away sitting on his parked motorcycle chatting with another couple of people on motorcycles. He was in Winnipeg filming a movie.
I’d had a beer or two and decided to say something, I even waited till he wasn’t talking to the other people on the motorcycles.I figure he’d heard the usual stuff so I said “Mr. Aykroyd, I really liked you in Driving Miss Daisy

My buddy, who’d had a beer or two more than me instantly said “I liked in Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day!”

As I said I stopped telling that story with people I’ve met since (when my buddy Tim who said that isn’t around) because it just sounds made up. I saw it in people’s faces as I told it. Like they thought I was bullshitting.[/quote]

this is the BEST STORY I’VE EVER HEARD!!!

OP, I will echo what others have said. It’s good that you didn’t react to this negatively, and actually took it as good and necessary critical advice. It’s this kind of shit that will help you out in the long run.

Hell, if more people were able to take criticism well, the world in itself would be much better off. The same goes double for gym rats and gym-ology. Some people get lucky and have others around them who can be supportive as well as offer good and legitimate advice. You don’t have to be this guys’ best friend, but remember it, and take it to heart.

As a personal experience, I spent the last year or so of my life training in an extremely high-level gym with names upon names of those in the bodybuilding/PL/fitness industry working out as well. I always kept my ego at the door, and got on a personal basis with some of them as well. There would routinely, more per my request for honesty and critique, offer advice while helping me through new things and ideas. These guys I looked up to, both with their physiques as well as their personality and willingness to “pay it forward” so to speak.

You’d be surprised at how many great people there are out there, and setting a good example will only beget the process to continue. In light of those who do relatively little to help others, whether they’re accepting of advice or not, it’s a breath of fresh air. There are always people less knowledgable than you looking for help, and more knowledgable willing to offer help, and it’s good to keep that perspective.

Long story short, I see him in the locker room later-keep in mind that we are not friends, I do not eve know his name-I jokingly say something along the lines of “Hey man, what do I need to do to be beast like you?”
[/quote]

I was pretty sure the rest of your story would involve gay sex after I read that line.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:

[/quote]

As I said I stopped telling that story with people I’ve met since (when my buddy Tim who said that isn’t around) because it just sounds made up. I saw it in people’s faces as I told it. Like they thought I was bullshitting.[/quote]

this is the BEST STORY I’VE EVER HEARD!!!
[/quote]

Ha ha…y’see, if you’re not joking, then you can see why I stopped telling when people looked at me like I was lying.
If I were lying I’d have had me say it.

The neat thing was a few months later the movie Space Jam came out and me and that same buddy went to see it…in that movie Bill Murray walks in and Danny DeVito’s character sees him and says “Well well, it’s Dan Aykroyd!”
My buddy and I looked at each other like fish floundering on shore when that happened.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’d love to go to a gym where I could look up to the other guys there. I’m not a kid so I won’t get jealous…it would be great.[/quote]

The gym I had been going to has more huge people than I’ve ever seen before. I wouldn’t think to ask anyone for advice, however. For one thing, I hate being bothered when I’m at the gym and I assume other people feel the same way. Besides, my French is not that great and the gym is in a very French part of town, so I’m even more apt to keep my mouth shut.

My gym has big, large and huge guys.

Most cannot even touch their toes or stretch and then complain about mobility issues.

Why would I even think about asking for their advice?

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
My gym has big, large and huge guys.

Most cannot even touch their toes or stretch and then complain about mobility issues.

Why would I even think about asking for their advice?[/quote]

Find one who can touch his toes. Several Olympia competitors could do the splits.

Even Tom Platz could do the splits I think…or at least touch his toes quite easily.