T Nation

Was Adam a Plant?

Could Adam (of Adam and Eve) actually have been a form of plant life? Then the Garden of Eden would have been a place of total peace, with no predators or prey, just peaceful plants. God turns Adam into a human and then sex (Original Sin) comes about as soon as Eve (or Lilith) is created, thus creating competition.

Discuss? (No, this is not a troll thread.)

In for the win!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Could Adam (of Adam and Eve) actually have been a form of plant life? Then the Garden of Eden would have been a place of total peace, with no predators or prey, just peaceful plants. God turns Adam into a human and then sex (Original Sin) comes about as soon as Eve (or Lilith) is created, thus creating competition.

Discuss? (No, this is not a troll thread.)[/quote]

Sex would have come about earlier, since many plants reproduce sexually. sorry lol

Well, the adam was made from dirt. There’s a lot of wordplay in the Hebrew bible; in this case, the word for earth/dirt is adama; I can sort of see how one could go in this direction. Buuut, even though my interpretation is not that the adam was a plant (this because the text implies that the adam was a specific, intentional, and unique part of creation in its own right), I still think there was no competition at first. This is because the animals were assigned certain plants to eat, and humans were assigned certain plants to eat, and these were distinct sets of plants and everything was vegetarian. I think it was that animals had green things and herbiage, and humans had fruit trees and grains. I could be wrong, it’s been awhile since I read this work. The competition begins when bloodlust appears, not when sex is introduced. It’s a very specific thing, because the adam is granted the animals to eat without their blood (the blood belongs to the god). In fact, if memory serves, the right to kill animals to eat came after the expulsion (this because the punishment of the adam states that now he has to farm, not farm and hunt … I think … it has been a LONG while since I read this, and anything I recall is likely from the Hebrew bible and not the Christian old testament, which aren’t precisely the same thing, anyway). Was it after Cain murdered Abel? I’d have to review the text …

4/20 was a couple days ago, bro!

[quote]challer1 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Sex would have come about earlier, since many plants reproduce sexually. sorry lol[/quote]

yea OP just types without thinking.

I think you’ve been smoking plants today, HH.

[quote]challer1 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Sex would have come about earlier, since many plants reproduce sexually. sorry lol[/quote]

You KNOW what I mean. Don’t be deliberately dense. Why would Original Sin be sex then? Plants don’t have desire in the sense that a human does – plants are on auto-pilot.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
I think you’ve been smoking plants today, HH.[/quote]

Nah, the Missus made me clean out the greenhouse.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Then the Garden of Eden would have been a place of total peace, with no predators or prey, just peaceful plants. God [/quote]

Life would be impossible without the predator/prey relationships. Life is a series of mutual dependencies inextricably interrelated. You can’t have plants without herbivore animals, and vice versa.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[quote]challer1 wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

You KNOW what I mean. Don’t be deliberately dense. Why would Original Sin be sex then? Plants don’t have desire in the sense that a human does – plants are on auto-pilot.
[/quote]

I only gave you a smart-ass answer because original sin isn’t sex. From a biblical perspective (not that the phrase “original sin” even appears in the bible), “the” original sin was when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge, and that the idea of original sin is that people are born into sin due to the curse Adam and Eve placed on humanity.

[quote]Berserkergang wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Then the Garden of Eden would have been a place of total peace, with no predators or prey, just peaceful plants. God [/quote]

Life would be impossible without the predator/prey relationships. Life is a series of mutual dependencies inextricably interrelated. You can’t have plants without herbivore animals, and vice versa.

[/quote]

also, that’s ridiculous. why couldn’t plants exist on their own? they use sunlight for energy… they don’t require something to run around eating them. some plants use this as a competitive advantage and would certainly suffer if all the animals suddenly vanished on the planet. But, with that said, I’m sure many plants would do just fine.

HH, it looks like you accidentally stumbled into the GAL forum! No worries, we’ll see if we can get it moved to PWI where it belongs.

The original idea of sex did not have lust associated with it. It was not until Eve convinced Adam to eat the forbidden fruit that he actually “saw” Eve in a way that man would look at a beautiful woman today. Vision went from spirit based to flesh based once this happened.

Wait…so Adam and Eve ate an apple from the tree of knowledge…so eating the apple would make them smarter?

And if so…then that means God didn’t want humans to evolve?

Maybe so they didnt find out that religion was fake?

Wait…so Adam and Eve ate an apple from the tree of knowledge…so eating the apple would make them smarter?

And if so…then that means God didn’t want humans to evolve?

Maybe so they didnt find out that religion was fake?

[quote]challer1 wrote:

[quote]Berserkergang wrote:

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[/quote]

also, that’s ridiculous. why couldn’t plants exist on their own? they use sunlight for energy… they don’t require something to run around eating them. some plants use this as a competitive advantage and would certainly suffer if all the animals suddenly vanished on the planet. But, with that said, I’m sure many plants would do just fine. [/quote]

Plants use sunlight for energy but they need much than that! Can you thrive on sugar only? Some plants without herbivore animals will overrun the ecosystem leading to soil depletion (lack of nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus). Other plants will die out due to lack of dispersal (a bunch of species have symbiotic relationships with animals that eat their seeds and fruits.) Some plants will overgrown, die and ultimately dead plants matter will pile up…a huge mess!

By the way, all living things are destined to be eaten (decomposed) at some point of their life cycle. Death and decomposition releases the mineral nutrients necessary for life bound up in dead organic matter, plant eaters at all level of the evolutionary scale (from microbes, fungi, to ruminants) play a crucial role in this process.

There is no specification about an apple, only of a fruit. God did not want man to think that he was smarter than himself.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.