T Nation

Warrior Athlete


#1

So on the other website that i write for http://www.5100block.com/ i started at feature that I have titled "Warrior Athlete" where I am posting workouts everyday if people want to follow them...

They are definitely more focused toward Military/Law Enforcement/Counter Terror field, or even MMA and other fighting stuff.

Anyway i just thought some of you might be interested in grabbing some of them for your GPP/conditioning days...

Here's the link for any of you interested. http://www.5100block.com/Warrior-Athlete

It is also the workouts that i am currently doing while I am waiting for my injuries to heal...

Thanks


Busted Knuckle Garage Workouts
Busted Knuckle Garage Workouts
#2

Awesome stuff on that log, I’ve been using it and its a great kick in the ass.


#3

So… basically crossfit? Am I missing something? What’s the difference?

It looked like these workouts are a little longer [than average crossfit] and they actually look just like what I did for a month where I went from upping my lifts to decreasing my mile time.

Oh, and one last thing (I actually wrote crossfit asking them about this and I’m guessing you’ll have a better answer than they did), i noticed that you have about 4 workouts in a row that consists of TONS of volume on the lats. (pullups, overhead work, handstand pushups, many many sets per workout). I noticed that it doesn’t seem like you’re working any other part quite as hard for 4 days in a row. Is there a reason for that? What does that do for you?


#4

[quote]Oleena wrote:
So… basically crossfit? Am I missing something? What’s the difference?

It looked like these workouts are a little longer [than average crossfit] and they actually look just like what I did for a month where I went from upping my lifts to decreasing my mile time.

Oh, and one last thing (I actually wrote crossfit asking them about this and I’m guessing you’ll have a better answer than they did), i noticed that you have about 4 workouts in a row that consists of TONS of volume on the lats. (pullups, overhead work, handstand pushups, many many sets per workout). I noticed that it doesn’t seem like you’re working any other part quite as hard for 4 days in a row. Is there a reason for that? What does that do for you?[/quote]

??


#5

[quote]Oleena wrote:
So… basically crossfit? Am I missing something? What’s the difference?

It looked like these workouts are a little longer [than average crossfit] and they actually look just like what I did for a month where I went from upping my lifts to decreasing my mile time.

Oh, and one last thing (I actually wrote crossfit asking them about this and I’m guessing you’ll have a better answer than they did), i noticed that you have about 4 workouts in a row that consists of TONS of volume on the lats. (pullups, overhead work, handstand pushups, many many sets per workout). I noticed that it doesn’t seem like you’re working any other part quite as hard for 4 days in a row. Is there a reason for that? What does that do for you?[/quote]

the workouts are created by T-Nation’s own resident bad mf’er? idk.


#6

[quote]Oleena wrote:
So… basically crossfit? Am I missing something? What’s the difference?
[/quote]

The difference is that there’s some seriously heavy strength work in there as well.

Not sure how many Crossfitters can bench 500, squat and dead 600+.

Alpha is a bad ass.


#7

Great stuff Alpha.


#8

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:
So… basically crossfit? Am I missing something? What’s the difference?

It looked like these workouts are a little longer [than average crossfit] and they actually look just like what I did for a month where I went from upping my lifts to decreasing my mile time.

Oh, and one last thing (I actually wrote crossfit asking them about this and I’m guessing you’ll have a better answer than they did), i noticed that you have about 4 workouts in a row that consists of TONS of volume on the lats. (pullups, overhead work, handstand pushups, many many sets per workout). I noticed that it doesn’t seem like you’re working any other part quite as hard for 4 days in a row. Is there a reason for that? What does that do for you?[/quote]

??[/quote]

I’m not hating. Why does everyone think that if you question someone you think they’re wrong or dislike what you’re questioning? Alpha has a lot more experience than I do and I don’t have the answer to this so I’m asking him. I’m not trying to make fun of him or disrespect him.

I’d never bother to ask someone with less experience what I just asked him because their answer probably wouldn’t teach me anything.


#9

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Oleena wrote:
So… basically crossfit? Am I missing something? What’s the difference?

It looked like these workouts are a little longer [than average crossfit] and they actually look just like what I did for a month where I went from upping my lifts to decreasing my mile time.

Oh, and one last thing (I actually wrote crossfit asking them about this and I’m guessing you’ll have a better answer than they did), i noticed that you have about 4 workouts in a row that consists of TONS of volume on the lats. (pullups, overhead work, handstand pushups, many many sets per workout). I noticed that it doesn’t seem like you’re working any other part quite as hard for 4 days in a row. Is there a reason for that? What does that do for you?[/quote]

??[/quote]

I’m not hating. Why does everyone think that if you question someone you think they’re wrong or dislike what you’re questioning? Alpha has a lot more experience than I do and I don’t have the answer to this so I’m asking him. I’m not trying to make fun of him or disrespect him.

I’d never bother to ask someone with less experience what I just asked him because their answer probably wouldn’t teach me anything.[/quote]


#10

nice one Alpha.I have just started up boxing so some of this stuff is just the ticket.


#11

That’s great, thanks for that.

That’s another bad thing about CrossFit…if someone says they’re going to do a bunch of push ups and db cleans and then run that gets called CrossFit now!!! GGGRrr!!!


#12

[quote]Nards wrote:
That’s great, thanks for that.

That’s another bad thing about CrossFit…if someone says they’re going to do a bunch of push ups and db cleans and then run that gets called CrossFit now!!! GGGRrr!!![/quote]

Its understandable though. The crossfitters at my university gym are so gay and skinny and full of themselves I don’t want anyone confusing me with them ever.


#13

Yeah, but that’s what I mean.

I used to do complexes and do 100m sprints with 20 push ups and then run another 100m and do 20 sit ups for 10 sets.

That shit’s been around for centuries now if you do it people say you’re “copying” CrossFit.


#14

[quote]Nards wrote:
Yeah, but that’s what I mean.

I used to do complexes and do 100m sprints with 20 push ups and then run another 100m and do 20 sit ups for 10 sets.

That shit’s been around for centuries now if you do it people say you’re “copying” CrossFit.[/quote]

That’s a fair point which I assumed someone would bring up.

Tons of people on this site put together complexes that don’t remind me of crossfit because they use a much wider variety of movements. Here’s what I mean:

complex written by average TMuscle site user:
deadlift
powerclean
overhead press
good morning
squat

kettle bell swing
box jumps
ring dips
lunges

throw in running, whatever cardio the person will actually make themselves do (admittedly most people on here seem to have several forms of cardio they turn their noses up at, whereas crossift is like “suck it bitch. You’re going to do this.”)

Then there’s crossfit:
21-15-9 reps of:
225 pound Deadlift
Handstand push-ups

Three rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
15 Pull-ups
50 Squats
15 Pull-ups

Three rounds for time of:
10 Muscle-ups
10 Forward rolls
20 One legged squats, alternating
Handstand walk 20 yards

five rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
135 pound Thruster, 7 reps

(basically every day or every other day has some major lat volume in the form of a type of squat, handstand push-ups or pullups. Having done this myself, I can tell you that your back immediately starts to pop. It’s sore for a month straight. Nothing else is really hit as hard though. It looks like your legs would get sore, but they’re a larger muscle group and the weight is limited by what your core and back can handle)

And here’s Alpha’s (he also uses the 21-15-9 rep scheme you see on crossfit all the time):
Run 400 Meters
21 Chin-ups
21 Handstand Push-ups
Run 400 Meters
15 Chin-ups
15 Handstand Push-ups
Run 400 Meters
09 Chin-ups
09 Handstand Push-ups
Run 400 Meters
Then…
deadlifts…any styles, any sets, just make sure your total adds up to 6,000lbs by the end of it…
after you are done that, do:
Sumo deads: 7 Sets of 3
Stiff legged deads: 3 sets of 8
ab roll outs
Then…
Run 400 Meters

21 Chin-ups
21 Handstand Push-ups
Run 1 mile
25 Burpees
20 Pull-ups
15 (75% of your Bodyweight) Front Squats
10 (75% of your Bodyweight) Power Cleans
Run ¾ mile
20 Burpees
15 Pull-ups
10 (75% of your Bodyweight) Front Squats
08 (75% of your Bodyweight) Power Cleans
Run ½ mile
15 Burpees
10 Pull-ups
08 (75% of your Bodyweight) Front Squats
06 (75% of your Bodyweight) Power Cleans
Run ¼ mile
10 Burpees
08 Pull-ups
06 (75% of your Bodyweight) Front Squats
04 (75% of your Bodyweight) Power Cleans
Run 1 mile

(those were two out of the four workouts I was referring to)

Alpha’s a big, awesome guy, and the rule in the field is that you don’t question people like that. But why Wwhy? lol. I’ve done workouts like this for months on end so you can’t say “shut up and try it”. I have and I’m still confused about the concentration on the lats.


#15

Well, I put a lot of concentration on the lats because back strength is a huge part of my targeted trainees’ PT tests and fighting in general. But the 2 workouts you chose to pull out do look rather crossfitish, but there are plenty others that have more “T-Nation” like complexes and strength concentrations…But i do see your point.

i would say it is more of like a crossfit on steroids along with a lot of strength training…again, i just wanted to share this as an option for those who do jobs like mine or other T-Nationers who need ideas for GPP.

I have trained similar to this “inserts” “extracts” and strength stuff for a while. and it is one of the ways in which i have been able to gain strength and size while dropping bodyfat.

just wanted to help who wanted the help. i take what i like from everywhere (yes even crossfit) and strip the rest. i think that is one of the ways we progress.

But as usual, I will continue to do what i do while some choose to hate…I am ok with that…


#16

Alpha…

i’ve missed you like the sun misses the flower on a winter morning.

for real though, good shit. will def check it out


#17

I’m curious as to how squats, handstand push-ups and “overhead work” (not sure what that is, exactly) are considered lat exercises.


#18

Should you do that workout posted above, I don’t care what you eat, stir-friend shit, you would have to be ripped.


#19

That is indeed a hardcore workout. And Alpha is indeed a bad ass. But the amount of Alpha ball-licking going on in this thread is making me sick.


#20

[quote]Alpha wrote:
Well, I put a lot of concentration on the lats because back strength is a huge part of my targeted trainees’ PT tests and fighting in general. But the 2 workouts you chose to pull out do look rather crossfitish, but there are plenty others that have more “T-Nation” like complexes and strength concentrations…But i do see your point.

i would say it is more of like a crossfit on steroids along with a lot of strength training…again, i just wanted to share this as an option for those who do jobs like mine or other T-Nationers who need ideas for GPP.

I have trained similar to this “inserts” “extracts” and strength stuff for a while. and it is one of the ways in which i have been able to gain strength and size while dropping bodyfat.

just wanted to help who wanted the help. i take what i like from everywhere (yes even crossfit) and strip the rest. i think that is one of the ways we progress.

But as usual, I will continue to do what i do while some choose to hate…I am ok with that…[/quote]

I don’t think anyone on here is choosing to hate you or even suggesting you deserve hating. You clearly answered my question better than the respresentatives of crossfit did right here: “Well, I put a lot of concentration on the lats because back strength is a huge part of my targeted trainees’ PT tests and fighting in general.” . Crossfit denied that they were putting an emphasis on anything and thereby didn’t even address the answer of why.

I would definitely describe your workout as crossfit on steriods. Of course there’s nothing wrong with using anything that works; I just just curious what the reason for using that was.

When looking at this, even if I ate all day long, I’m not sure as a woman that I’d be able to recover from that massive amount of volume. Would you write this any differently for a woman?