T Nation

Warning: Cheat Meals Question

Hi there,

I am wondering since a while which in your own opinion in worse, either one large cheat meal, or two smaller ones (on the same day).

To put the situation, its in a 7meals a day plan:
Solution 1: 4pm snack, add a pastry to regular snack
dinner, switch regular healthy dinner with a pizza
Solution 2: dinner, pizza + pastry.

I know it might seem I am overdoing (please no slap, I bet I am not the only one here who thinks about these kind of stuff too much) it by wondering about such things but still, in regards of body comps what would you do?

I am kind of giving myself good conscience by usually taking those on workout days (its mysteriously the best workouts I ever to btw ^^’).

[quote]AlexD wrote:
Hi there,

I am wondering since a while which in your own opinion in worse, either one large cheat meal, or two smaller ones (on the same day).

To put the situation, its in a 7meals a day plan:
Solution 1: 4pm snack, add a pastry to regular snack
dinner, switch regular healthy dinner with a pizza
Solution 2: dinner, pizza + pastry.

I know it might seem I am overdoing (please no slap, I bet I am not the only one here who thinks about these kind of stuff too much) it by wondering about such things but still, in regards of body comps what would you do?

I am kind of giving myself good conscience by usually taking those on workout days (its mysteriously the best workouts I ever to btw ^^’).

[/quote]

I think if you have one or two cheat meals every day they are no longer considered cheat meals.

I assume that since you’re having pizza and pastries on a regular basis that your objective is to gain weight/muscle. If this is the case, just go with whichever works best for your schedule.

Its a once in a week thing ^^ Sorry for the confusion.I stick to my healthy diet the remaining time.

One meal, within an hour or two of a workout, might as well get some use out of the insulin spike.

I agree with the Zagman; try to get the cheat in around the post-workout window, whether bulking, maintaining, or cutting.

I would also say cheat meal sometime post workout.

but instead of pasteries and pizza,try pasta,something else.

My cheat day looks like this.
I low carb all week I have carbs in the am and the rest is in the form of vegies and thats it.
cheat day

meal 1: eggs,wheat toast,milk,Oj
meal2 carne asada burrito with and all the sides and a diet coke. just because I dont like regular soda anymore.
meal 3 MRP
meal 4 salad bar with whatever I want usually I go to like Sweet Tomatoes or Super Salad.
Meal 5 steak and brocolii
Meal 6 cottage cheese

6 meals 5 solid it sounds like a lot but the amounts are small,cept for sald bar I will spend an hour or 2 in there loading up its insane.

and as you can see its still pretty clean theres no donuts or pizza or any “junk” food but its got alot of carbs and stuff

its back to eggs,chicken and spinich all week after that.

obviously he’s gonna get better results from a totally clean cheat meal/ carb up day, but I feel like the point of a cheat is to just let go of the craziness for a meal or two.

Eat some pizza totally guilt free without so much as a thought about the g of protein it contains or how bad all that fatty cheese is with the white flour dough.

Its a chance to have some light at the end of the tunnel- after a week of strict eating kick back and just eat what you want for a bit.

Of course, if your diet has you craving and/or relying on cheat meals just to make it through the week, you gotta question how sustainable your diet is in the long run- could you make a lifestyle out of that kind of eating? doubtful.

@ the OP- I second the idea of a cheat pwo. This works great for me- friday/ sat evening I can hit the gym around 5 then go have dinner with some friends and know its doing my body some good anyways.

Thanks everyone for the opinion on the subject. It’s indeed a full free meal (I am not just switching fruit carbs for starch for instance, screw that :p).

I stick to healthy food the whole week and need to get accustomed to cheat once in a while without feeling guilty (which I used to). I actually used to cheat like once a month when I was really craving for something and that one ‘meal’ I would be able to drink 2 bottle of wine with a regular menu and 2 whole 4-5 ppl cakes (until getting sick yeah :c). The thing is that I thought, well I screwed so lets do it properly~ (and well that’s not the right philosophy to have) ^^"

I feel it’s safer to force myself to cheat once every week with a planned cheat. One meal and get back on track (and everyone agrees that its better peri-workout so its cool).

Well, thanks to you all.

I don’t want to turn this into a cheat meal debate thread, but I think “planned cheat meals” are stupid.

If you put yourself on a good diet and are getting results I’d stick with it. Something in life is bound to happen where you will cheat, there is no doubt about it imo. I would call these occasions cheat meals, a planned cheat meal is just going to be added on top of that.

PWO is a great time for a cheat meal imo as others have said. If your friends are going to dinner and invite you, EAT, don’t make excuses for the diet.

When I diet for my shows, I personally don’t believe in planning them, just becuase they are bound to happen. I think it’s good to have cheat meals, but don’t plan them. Let them happen on their own. If you make it several months on your diet without one then maybe I see the need, but I don’t think that will happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I don’t want to turn this into a cheat meal debate thread, but I think “planned cheat meals” are stupid.

If you put yourself on a good diet and are getting results I’d stick with it. Something in life is bound to happen where you will cheat, there is no doubt about it imo. I would call these occasions cheat meals, a planned cheat meal is just going to be added on top of that.

PWO is a great time for a cheat meal imo as others have said. If your friends are going to dinner and invite you, EAT, don’t make excuses for the diet.

When I diet for my shows, I personally don’t believe in planning them, just becuase they are bound to happen. I think it’s good to have cheat meals, but don’t plan them. Let them happen on their own. If you make it several months on your diet without one then maybe I see the need, but I don’t think that will happen :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DG[/quote]

It’s personally easier for me to do the opposite. I have almost no trouble planning out everything I eat; the planned cheat gives me something to look forward to.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:

DG[/quote]

Good point, I agree and disagree. Yes, if the control and discipline is present to be able to handle spontaneous cheat meals, then yeah it is a good philosophy. But, you undoubedly can run into the problem when cheat meals start to become far more frequent than you would like. Control and self responsibility start to waver and your “diet” begins to fail or yield far from optimum results.

For the longest time I would not have been able to have unplanned cheats. Hell, it took me 6 months of almost zero cheats to get my compulsive binge eating under control. Now, yeah, I can opperate in a more loose manner and be ok, but there was a time when I had to schedule a cheat, if any.

For me I’d rather not plan a cheat and just cheat when the opportunity arises (weekends when the buddy’s go to yard house or something) know what I mean? But yes, this is assuming that you have the rest of your diet under a discipline already…

DG

[quote]Vash wrote:
I agree with the Zagman; try to get the cheat in around the post-workout window, whether bulking, maintaining, or cutting. [/quote]

or cheat in the morning, morning calorie loading has been working wonders for me.

Cheers guys (no worries I at least don’t see this as a troll and am gratefull for your replies and opinions on the matter). I tend to think like Peot, it gives me something to look forward to.

And in case a spontaneous situations rises at another time where I need for social reasons to do a cheat (it happens that’s true but not every week in my case), I just cut off the planned one.

Actually, I would like to disagree with the person who stated that a clean cheat/carb up day will produce better results.

First, a “clean cheat” is oxymoronic. You are either “carbing up” or cheating. If you followed any of Joel Marion’s stuff (or read his book) it’s pretty much all about Leptin. This is why single carb meals don’t have the same effect; they just aren’t enough to promote the changes in the hormones and metabolism you are looking for in a “carb up.”

What I don’t agree with is his idea that you need a whole day… hell, I have clients that could undo a whole week in a day just because their appetites and taste buds are so screwed from years of transfat and HFCS consumption that they could literally consume 30,000 calories in a day. I know that personally, when on strict low carb, one cheat meal where I eat whatever I want usually produces great sleep and a rise in all things good hormonally.

It is an individual thing, of course…

I agree with DG, mainly because I do the same thing myself. I don’t have any junk at home so all forms of cheat meals just happen when people are over and we go out to eat or if I’m not home.

Sometimes I might go weeks without a cheat meal, sometimes i might have a shitload on a weekend. I stopped letting it get in the way of my life, and I’m all for eating as clean as possible but sometimes it just cannot be helped.

also keep in mind what your dieting for.

If its a change in physique for one weekend (bodybuilding comp, want to look good on the beach, etc) then u can diet for that.

If it’s overall body change, then it’s a lifestyle change as well. Thats why I like the spontaneous cheat, better than a planned one.

Either way it takes discipline. Also the cheats are only good with a lifestyle change of eating. When I’m dieting for a show, I don’t cheat.

DG