Warmup Sets - Is this a Good Guideline?

Warm-up set 1: Perform 2 times the number of work reps using ½ the load of your first work set. This set is only necessary when performing work reps of 8 or fewer â?? so at most, youâ??ll be performing 16 reps at ½ of what you would for the first 8-rep work set.

Warm-up set 2: Perform the same number of reps as given for the first work set using approx 75% of the load youâ??ll use for said work set.

Good guideline for bodybuilder workout?

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/JFG#myForums/thread/5001410/

You are just not getting it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]fqqs wrote:
I wonder if doing sth like 6-8 reps of 50% working weight and 4-5 reps of 75% working weight is a good thing before doing 5x5 (straight sets)[/quote]
This is the fourth time in in four months that you’ve asked this exact question, or one very similar to it:

Just last month you weren’t doing a 5x5 program:

And you had several different programs in the months before that.

Simply put, dude, you’re wasting your time and you’re wasting our time by overthinking yourself into a state of never-ending non-progress.

Like I told you in a previous thread, you need to stop looking for “the best” plan and focus on doing “good enough” for 12 months straight.[/quote]

Why did you not listen to this? You were given some good advice in that thread. Warming up doesn’t have to be difficult, just start off with the bar and add weight in steady increments until you get to your working weight.

If you’re using 4 plates per side, a warm up could look like this:
bar x some
one plate per side x 5
two plates per side x 5
three plates per side x 5
working sets

[quote]fqqs wrote:
Warm-up set 1: Perform 2 times the number of work reps using �½ the load of your first work set. This set is only necessary when performing work reps of 8 or fewer â?? so at most, youâ??ll be performing 16 reps at �½ of what you would for the first 8-rep work set.

Warm-up set 2: Perform the same number of reps as given for the first work set using approx 75% of the load youâ??ll use for said work set.

Good guideline for bodybuilder workout?[/quote]

You’re over-thinking it, dude.

Just grab a light weight and bang out a few sets focusing on stretching and contracting the muscle(s) you are trying to target and/or working the groove of the movement you plan to execute. The exact form that this takes is going to vary from day to day and from movement to movement. If I’m working biceps, I’ll often jump into my first working set after two warm-ups. If I’m benching or squatting and my stroke/groove feels off, I’ll often do three sets with just the bar and then bang out five or six sets before I work my way up to what I would consider a working set.

The important thing to keep in mind during your warm-ups is that when you are done you should feel ready to move on to your first working set.

Good luck.

[quote]fqqs wrote:
Good guideline for bodybuilder workout?[/quote]
Are you mentally handicapped?

I think he has anterograde amnesia like the guy from Memento

Brah don’t stress the training, just drink your weight in protein every day and you’re golden…

The best warm-up strategy is to use the fibonacci suquence to determine the weights, so for set 1, you lift 1 pound. Set 2, you lift 1 pound again. Set 3, you lift 3 pounds, and so on. The progession looks like this:

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987

So, you’re done warming up whenever you reach whatever fibonacci number is lower than your working weight. To calculate the number of reps, you figure out which fibonacci number you’re going to stop at, and start at that prime number and work backwards through the prime numbers.

For example, suppose your work set of zercher squats is at 455, then your warm-up will look like this:

1x43
1x41
2x37
3x31
5x29
8x23
13x19
21x17
34x13
55x11
89x7
144x5
233x3
377x2

I realize that the first few sets seem like very high repetitions of very low weights, but these numbers are found in many facets of nature, and will prime your CNS for maximum output.

Now, if you’re lifting in kg, you’ll have to divide the whole thing by the golden ratio ~1.61803399

I hope this helps! Let me know how it works for you.

i come into the beginners forums for the first time in a year and this shit is what i find?

[quote]Chilliwack wrote:
The best warm-up strategy is to use the fibonacci suquence to determine the weights, so for set 1, you lift 1 pound. Set 2, you lift 1 pound again. Set 3, you lift 3 pounds, and so on. The progession looks like this:

So, you’re done warming up whenever you reach whatever fibonacci number is lower than your working weight. To calculate the number of reps, you figure out which fibonacci number you’re going to stop at, and start at that prime number and work backwards through the prime numbers.

For example, suppose your work set of zercher squats is at 455, then your warm-up will look like this:

1x43
1x41
2x37
3x31
5x29
8x23
13x19
21x17
34x13
55x11
89x7
144x5
233x3
377x2

I realize that the first few sets seem like very high repetitions of very low weights, but these numbers are found in many facets of nature, and will prime your CNS for maximum output.

Now, if you’re lifting in kg, you’ll have to divide the whole thing by the golden ratio ~1.61803399

I hope this helps! Let me know how it works for you.[/quote]

If you actually make it a little bit for careful (89x7 LOL), you can sell this in beginners saying the Russians did it in mid 60’s and make a shitload of money.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]Chilliwack wrote:

1x43
1x41
2x37
3x31
5x29
8x23
13x19
21x17
34x13
55x11
89x7
144x5
233x3
377x2

If you actually make it a little bit for careful (89x7 LOL), you can sell this in beginners saying the Russians did it in mid 60’s and make a shitload of money.
[/quote]

The last 3 sets actually look like a solid warmup

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]Chilliwack wrote:

144x5
233x3
377x2
[/quote]

[/quote]

The last 3 sets actually look like a solid warmup[/quote]

I agree. As I was typing this out, I was wondering “Am I fucking onto something here?”

[quote]Chilliwack wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]Chilliwack wrote:

144x5
233x3
377x2
[/quote]

[/quote]

The last 3 sets actually look like a solid warmup[/quote]

I agree. As I was typing this out, I was wondering “Am I fucking onto something here?”
[/quote]

throw some stuff in there about how it beneficially affects the myofibrillar shortening sequence and optimizes mitochondrial output in a study on maximal force generation conducted by Marles Boliquin and you’re set

[quote]Chilliwack wrote:

1x43
1x41
2x37
3x31
5x29
8x23
13x19
21x17
34x13
55x11
89x7
144x5
233x3
377x2

This made me laugh. Sadly, I don’t think it’s in-depth enough for the OP.