T Nation

Warming Up

What’s the best way to warm up for a workout when trying to gain mass? Before, I used to walk 5 min, then jog 5 min, but I don’t know if I should do this now that I’m aiming for size gains which are limited by cardio. I went into my past two workouts cold, and I don’t know if that’s such a good thing. So, what should I do to warm up for a workout?

Oh, another question is when to do my ab routine. I’m currently doing the Waterbury Method. Should I put them before the workout, after the workout, or on off days?

Thanks!

[quote]The Rover wrote:
What’s the best way to warm up for a workout when trying to gain mass? Before, I used to walk 5 min, then jog 5 min, but I don’t know if I should do this now that I’m aiming for size gains which are limited by cardio. I went into my past two workouts cold, and I don’t know if that’s such a good thing. So, what should I do to warm up for a workout?

Oh, another question is when to do my ab routine. I’m currently doing the Waterbury Method. Should I put them before the workout, after the workout, or on off days?

Thanks![/quote]

5 min of walking and 5 min of jogging will have no affect on mass gains. This would hardly be considered ‘cardio.’ This would be much better than going in cold.

For lower body the warm up above is good. Some will argue it does little for upper body. I like to do specific muscle warmups after 5-10 min of getting my heart rate up and my core warm. Light benches and brief light weight shoulder warmups are a prerequisite for bench days. Similar for back.

As for abs–what are your priorities. Any or all of your suggestions are workable- though I would do them after and on ‘off’ days after my cardio.

Ok, that makes sense. So, I should walk/jog, then do muslce warm-ups. Now, I’m assuming the warm-up would be different for each day, since I’m doing different exercises, correct? And for the muslce-warm-ups, I should just do the exercises I’m going to perform, but with lightw eights? How many reps/sets should I do of these warm-ups?

I’m sorry for all the questions, but I’m just starting to work-out seriously and want to do it right.

[quote]The Rover wrote:
Ok, that makes sense. So, I should walk/jog, then do muslce warm-ups. Now, I’m assuming the warm-up would be different for each day, since I’m doing different exercises, correct? And for the muslce-warm-ups, I should just do the exercises I’m going to perform, but with lightw eights? How many reps/sets should I do of these warm-ups?

I’m sorry for all the questions, but I’m just starting to work-out seriously and want to do it right.[/quote]

No problem

Yes your warm-up would differ from workout to workout. A ?few? minutes of walking or light jogging to get the blood pumping and core warm is a good idea.

Then workout specific, low weight, low intensity lifting to allow blood flow to those areas is a good idea.

DON’T overdo this. 2-3 sets max. And again, on chest day I might do a mini superset of 50% benches with 10 lb rear, side, front lateral raise to get the shoulders good and greased. This may be more important to me than the benching. Find what works for you, but never lift cold. That is a certain recipe for disaster.

These are great sets to get your mindset right and your form in your head for that day. Even though they are light–don’t just go thru the motions. Get the mind-muscle thing going. For benching–take your real position, feet planted shoulders pinched and feel the movement. Don’t use these as throw aways. You will be doing yourself a great disservice.

Don’t do so much you induce fatigue. YOu’ll figure it ou after a couple of times, but these are valuable tools–always warm up.

[quote]The Rover wrote:
Now, I’m assuming the warm-up would be different for each day, since I’m doing different exercises, correct? And for the muslce-warm-ups, I should just do the exercises I’m going to perform, but with lightw eights? How many reps/sets should I do of these warm-ups? [/quote]

Depending on how you set up your program, you usually only need to do warm-up sets with the first exercise for a particular bodypart.

If you’re working out with 65-75% of your 1RM for higher reps (8-12), then you can do warmups as follows:

1@50% of 1RM for 8-10 reps
Rest
1@60% of 1RM for 8-10 reps
Rest
Begin work sets with working weight.

If you’re working out with 80-100% of your 1RM with lower reps (1-6), then it’s best to do multiple sets of low-rep warmups. Let’s say you’re going to do 10x3 or 5x5 with 225lbs. You would do warmups similar to this:

Bar x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 2
215 x 1
WORKOUT SETS (10x3 or 5x5 with 225lbs)

warming-up is nothing more than “warming-up”. What this means is that you should warm-up the muscle group you are training in a fashion that will allow you to infuse the right amount of blood into the muscle and connective tissue and progressively introduce the increasing overload to this muscle group.

For a general warm-up, nothing tops dynamic mobility work. The subsequent work should be specific to the task that follows (e.g. lighter bench pressing).

sauna or hot tub.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
For a general warm-up, nothing tops dynamic mobility work. The subsequent work should be specific to the task that follows (e.g. lighter bench pressing).[/quote]

Dynamic mobility work? Please expound

Alright… I think I have a good idea of how to warm-up, but I’m still a little confused about one thing. Should I warm-up just for the first exercise in my routine? For example, yesterday I started with benching, then went on to romanian deadllifts and military presses. This was folowed standing calf raises, upright rows, and french presses. Would I warm-up for the bench, then continue my work-out? Or is there another way I should do it?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

[quote]The Rover wrote:
Alright… I think I have a good idea of how to warm-up, but I’m still a little confused about one thing. Should I warm-up just for the first exercise in my routine? For example, yesterday I started with benching, then went on to romanian deadllifts and military presses. This was folowed standing calf raises, upright rows, and french presses. Would I warm-up for the bench, then continue my work-out? Or is there another way I should do it?

Thanks for the help so far guys! [/quote]

If your workout goes from upper to lower body you probably should do a little warm up for each. I mean you get little hamstring warmup by doing benches.

Warm up as you see fit. What is it one extra set! In your above workout I probably would not go immediately to max military presses from romanians without at least one ‘ease-in’ set.

It doesn’t even have to be a full set, just do the movement with some weight to loosen or juice that area. 1 ease-in set with 2 or 3 working sets is a great way to go. Especially for a beginner–get your groove and your mindset on that bodypart.

If you feel anything amiss as you do your ease in set, do another or something else until you feel comfortable with appropriate poundages.

Now, get to work!

[quote]If you’re working out with 80-100% of your 1RM with lower reps (1-6), then it’s best to do multiple sets of low-rep warmups. Let’s say you’re going to do 10x3 or 5x5 with 225lbs. You would do warmups similar to this:

Bar x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 2
215 x 1
WORKOUT SETS (10x3 or 5x5 with 225lbs)[/quote]

so your supposed to do 6 sets of warmups till you get to your real bench workout? does this apply with all weight?

[quote]neptune wrote:
If you’re working out with 80-100% of your 1RM with lower reps (1-6), then it’s best to do multiple sets of low-rep warmups. Let’s say you’re going to do 10x3 or 5x5 with 225lbs. You would do warmups similar to this:

Bar x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 2
215 x 1

so your supposed to do 6 sets of warmups till you get to your real bench workout? does this apply with all weight?[/quote]

I would say that is excessive. But you have to do what works for you.

If my workout sets were to be 10x3@225
135 x 5
175 x 4
200 x 3

You do not want to induce any type of fatigue with these sets. Get to your workout as quickly as you feel comfortable and go.

I also feel that too light of sets are time wasting. I see no need to bench the bar. If you are capable of 10 x 3 @225 you don’t need to bench 45 lbs to get loose. Get your blood flowing with 10-15 min. of something and then go get 'em.

[quote]neptune wrote:

Bar x 5
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 2
215 x 1

so your supposed to do 6 sets of warmups till you get to your real bench workout? does this apply with all weight?[/quote]

It’s a freakin’ example. Others might do 135x5, 185x3, 205x1 and then work sets with 225! You could do anywhere from 3-7 warmups!!! It’s not set in stone that you have to use [b]6[/b] warm-up sets.

You have to find how many warm-up sets you need for certain weights and lifts. I, personally, need more warm-up sets on squats, deads and benches. On other lifts, I may only need 1-3 warm-up sets.

When training with heavy weights, you typically want to use several warm-up sets to get your body ready (CNS) for the workout.