Warmest Winter on Record

More bullshit about how fake global warming is…

Global temps set record for warmest winter
NASA also reports that Earth has lost some aerosol ‘sunscreen’

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - This winter was the warmest on record worldwide, the U.S. government said Thursday in the latest worrisome report focusing on changing climate.

The report comes just over a month after the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said global warming is very likely caused by human actions and is so severe it will continue for centuries.

And a NASA study reported Thursday in the journal Science found that an important counter-balance to warming ? sunlight blocked by volcanic gases, dust, pollution and other aerosol particles ? appears to have weakened.

As for this winter, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the combined land and ocean temperatures for December through February were 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit above average for the period since record keeping began in 1880.

The report said that during the past century, global temperatures have increased at about 0.11 degrees per decade. But that increase has been three times larger since 1976, NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center reported.

Greenhouse gases and El Nino
Most scientists attribute the rising temperatures to so-called greenhouse gases produced by industrial activities, automobiles and other processes. These gases build up in the atmosphere and trap heat from the sun somewhat like a greenhouse.

Also contributing to this winter’s record warmth was an El Nino, a periodic warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean. It was particularly strong in January ? the warmest January ever ? but the ocean surface has since begun to cool.

The report noted that in the Northern Hemisphere the combined land and water temperature was the warmest ever at 1.64 degrees above average. In the Southern Hemisphere, where it was summer, the temperature was 0.88 degree above average and the fourth warmest.

Click for related content
Interactive look at the greenhouse effect
Climate change factors
Primer on Kyoto climate pact

The late March date of the vernal equinox noted on most calendars notwithstanding, for weather and climate purposes northern winter is December, January and February.

For the United States, meanwhile, the winter temperature was near average. The season got off to a late start and spring-like temperatures covered most of the eastern half of the country in January, but cold conditions set in in February, which was the third coldest on record.

Less ‘sunscreen’ for Earth
In its study, NASA described the aerosol effect as a “sunscreen” for Earth.

“When more sunlight can get through the atmosphere and warm Earth’s surface, you’re going to have an effect on climate and temperature,” lead author Michael Mishchenko of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies said in a statement. “Knowing what aerosols are doing globally gives us an important missing piece of the big picture of the forces at work on climate.”

Scientists extracted an aerosol signal from satellite measurements originally designed to observe clouds and weather systems that date back to 1978. “The resulting data show large, short-lived spikes in global aerosols caused by major volcanic eruptions in 1982 and 1991, but a gradual decline since about 1990,” NASA said in a statement. “By 2005, global aerosols had dropped as much as 20 percent from the relatively stable level between 1986 and 1991.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report

That’s strange - I thought it was the “human caused” part of anthropogenic global warming that was debated?

Here’s the report, BTW:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2007/feb/feb07.html

I don’t know where FI has been hanging out but this has been the coldest winter in NJ since I moved here in 1998.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
I don’t know where FI has been hanging out but this has been the coldest winter in NJ since I moved here in 1998.[/quote]

Congratulations.

But we’re talking about global warming. Little blips and local fluctuations aren’t relevant.

It’s also kind of like the stock market. You shouldn’t freak out (or celebrate wildly) after one good or bad day (or week, or month) Or in the case of the weather, one season. What you look at are the long term trends.

The long term trend is that the planet is getting warmer.

They must not have been around the mid west either it was one of the coldest.

YOu don’t think some would manipulate the statistics to further the GW agenda do you?

Source: University of Copenhagen
Date: March 18, 2007
More on: Climate, Global Warming, Environmental Issues, Geography, Math Puzzles, Computer Modeling

Researchers Question Validity Of A ‘Global Temperature’
Science Daily ? Discussions on global warming often refer to ‘global temperature.’ Yet the concept is thermodynamically as well as mathematically an impossibility, says Bjarne Andresen, a professor at The Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, who has analyzed this topic in collaboration with professors Christopher Essex from University of Western Ontario and Ross McKitrick from University of Guelph, Canada.

It is generally assumed that the atmosphere and the oceans have grown warmer during the recent 50 years. The reason for this point of view is an upward trend in the curve of measurements of the so-called ‘global temperature’. This is the temperature obtained by collecting measurements of air temperatures at a large number of measuring stations around the Globe, weighing them according to the area they represent, and then calculating the yearly average according to the usual method of adding all values and dividing by the number of points.

Average without meaning

“It is impossible to talk about a single temperature for something as complicated as the climate of Earth”, Bjarne Andresen says, an an expert of thermodynamics. “A temperature can be defined only for a homogeneous system. Furthermore, the climate is not governed by a single temperature. Rather, differences of temperatures drive the processes and create the storms, sea currents, thunder, etc. which make up the climate”.

He explains that while it is possible to treat temperature statistically locally, it is meaningless to talk about a a global temperature for Earth. The Globe consists of a huge number of components which one cannot just add up and average. That would correspond to calculating the average phone number in the phone book. That is meaningless. Or talking about economics, it does make sense to compare the currency exchange rate of two countries, whereas there is no point in talking about an average ‘global exchange rate’.

If temperature decreases at one point and it increases at another, the average will remain the same as before, but it will give rise to an entirely different thermodynamics and thus a different climate. If, for example, it is 10 degrees at one point and 40 degrees at another, the average is 25 degrees. But if instead there is 25 degrees both places, the average is still 25 degrees. These two cases would give rise to two entirely different types of climate, because in the former case one would have pressure differences and strong winds, while in the latter there would be no wind.

Many averages

A further problem with the extensive use of ‘the global temperature’ is that there are many ways of calculating average temperatures.

Example 1: Take two equally large glasses of water. The water in one glass is 0 degrees, in the other it is 100 degrees. Adding these two numbers and dividing by two yields an average temperature of 50 degrees. That is called the arithmetic average.

Example 2: Take the same two glasses of water at 0 degrees and 100 degrees, respectively. Now multiply those two numbers and take the square root, and you will arrive at an average temperature of 46 degrees. This is called the geometric average. (The calculation is done in degrees Kelvin which are then converted back to degrees Celsius.)

The difference of 4 degrees is the energy which drives all the thermodynamic processes which create storms, thunder, sea currents, etc.

Claims of disaster?

These are but two examples of ways to calculate averages. They are all equally correct, but one needs a solid physical reason to choose one above another. Depending on the averaging method used, the same set of measured data can simultaneously show an upward trend and a downward trend in average temperature. Thus claims of disaster may be a consequence of which averaging method has been used, the researchers point out.

What Bjarne Andresen and his coworkers emphasize is that physical arguments are needed to decide whether one averaging method or another is needed to calculate an average which is relevant to describe the state of Earth.

Reference: C. Essex, R. McKitrick, B. Andresen: Does a Global Temperature Exist?; J. Non-Equil. Thermod. vol. 32, p. 1-27 (2007).

Global Warming = Communism Reborn

"Czech President: “Religion” of Environmentalism a way of “masterminding human society from above”
A “New World Order” With Warming “Deniers” Threatened

By John-Henry Westen

LONDON, March 12, 2007 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The general appreciation for taking care of the earth’s resources, of being stewards of creation is being exploited to drive a political and even mythological system of environmentalism. The President of the Czech Republic spoke at the Cato Institute Friday calling “environmentalism” a “religion”, and warning against the hysteria being generated by ‘global warming’ enthusiasts.

“All of us are very much in favour of maximum environmental protection and protection of nature,” said President Vaclav Klaus during a follow-up interview for a Cato podcast. “But it has nothing in common with environmentalism, which is ideological and practically attacking our freedom.”

Environmentalism is, he said “a way of introducing new forms of statism, new forms of masterminding human society from above.” The Czech President noted that the citizens of his nation experienced communism first hand giving them awareness of agendas of domination. It is, he said, “something we feel very strongly about because our experience with communism gives us very special sensitivity in this respect.”

Almost as if on queue, Gordon Brown, likely to replace Tony Blair as the next British prime minister, delivered a speech today calling for a “new world order” to combat global warming. He called on the United Nations to make the fight against global warming a core “pillar” of its international mission."

Protecting the environment as an excuse for enslaving humanity…what a brilliant plan!!!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Global Warming = Communism Reborn

"Czech President: “Religion” of Environmentalism a way of “masterminding human society from above”
A “New World Order” With Warming “Deniers” Threatened

[/quote]

Interestingly, Margaret Thatcher had some very similar thoughts. From a review of her book, Statecraft

http://www.perc.org/perc.php?id=506

Excerpt:

[quote] First, she stresses that she was initially skeptical of the arguments about global warming, although she thought they deserved to be treated seriously. She points out that there was "rather little scientific advice available to political leaders from those experts who were doubtful of the global warming thesis" (451). However, by 1990, she had begun to recognize that the issue was being used as a Trojan horse by anti-capitalist forces. That is why she took pains in her Royal Society speech in 1990 to state: "Whatever international action we agree upon to deal with environmental problems, we must enable our economies to grow and develop, because without growth you cannot generate the wealth required to pay for the protection of the environment" (452). In fact, Thatcher makes it clear that she regards global warming less as an "environmental" threat and more as a challenge to human ingenuity that should be grouped with challenges such as AIDS, animal health, and genetically modified foods. In her estimation,

[i] All require first-rate research, mature evaluation and then the appropriate response. But no more than these does climate change mean the end of the world; and it must not either mean the end of free-enterprise capitalism. (457)[/i][/quote]

Yea, global warming is just a massive plot by liberals…

The damn ice caps are melting, the Greenland ice sheet is metling, and yet you fellas will deny it to the bitter end.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
I don’t know where FI has been hanging out but this has been the coldest winter in NJ since I moved here in 1998.[/quote]

First of all, in December there were days where it was in the 50s and 60s.

We got one storm all year that was bad, and that was last week- all winter.

Now besides that, New Jersey is not the world… just because local temperatures are not rising doesn’t mean that the world’s temperature is not rising… you know this, don’t be an ass.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

The damn ice caps are melting, the Greenland ice sheet is metling, and yet you fellas will deny it to the bitter end.[/quote]

Why is Antartica’s ice sheet increasing?

GW is simply a new way to throttle the productive people of the world.

BTW, studies are now showing that industrializing countries (India and China) are re-foresting blighted areas. Starving people despoil their land in their efforts to survive. Wealthy countries can afford to worry about pollution.

Of course, starving people are easier to control and dominate, which is actually the goal of the GW crowd (as the President of the Czech Republic points out above).

The damn ice caps are melting, the Greenland ice sheet is metling, and yet you fellas will deny it to the bitter end.[/quote]

I hope you don’t think you got that from my post…

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

The damn ice caps are melting, the Greenland ice sheet is metling, and yet you fellas will deny it to the bitter end.

I hope you don’t think you got that from my post…[/quote]

No, not your post. It was a response to Headhunter’s thoughts that everything is a liberal plot.

Your posts are… well, better thought out.

BostonBarrister wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

No, not your post. It was a response to Headhunter’s thoughts that everything is a liberal plot.

Your posts are… well, better thought out.[/quote]

I simply agree with the president of Czech Republic. Guess we’re both nuts.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

what, the president of the Cheque republic, the well known climatologist…

You can agree with ann lowry (my next door neighbour) for all i care.

[quote]miniross wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

what, the president of the Cheque republic, the well known climatologist…

You can agree with ann lowry (my next door neighbour) for all i care.[/quote]

The man lived under Communism. He recognizes an elite when he sees one. He’s warning all of us about the GW-Communist agenda.

Your neighbor is probably an idiot too.

awsome! i hate cold weather.

I love pollution!!!

I’m glad to see so many of you guys do, too.

Clean air is a communist plot!

You know who likes clean air?

JANE FONDA.

'Nuff said!!!