Warm Up for Max Effort

I am looking to test my 1 rep bench max. What are some set/rep progressions to use to warm up thoroughly but not tax myself to the point that I hinder my 1 rep max? If it makes a difference I am going for 300 pound bench.

Also there was an article on supplemental exercises to do to help increase the bench press. I have tried searching in archives but did not find what I was looking for. Anyone remember this article?

Thanks for any input.

The Poliquin progression mentioned in this article:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1431471

has been working well for me recently.

This article also has a large variety of different progressions you might try:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/max_effort_waves.htm

As for supplemental exercises, the following are useful:

Board Presses
JM Presses
Close Grip Presses
Incline Presses
DB Bench variations
Bent/ Chest SupportedRows
Chins

Assistance Exercises:

Skullcrushers
Tate Presses
DB Cleans
Face Pulls
1 Arm DB Row

The lists aren’t exhaustive but are enough to set you on your way.

[quote]husker29 wrote:
I am looking to test my 1 rep bench max. What are some set/rep progressions to use to warm up thoroughly but not tax myself to the point that I hinder my 1 rep max? If it makes a difference I am going for 300 pound bench. [/quote]

Use low-rep warmups, something like this:

45 x 5
135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
285 x 1
290 x 1

Rest 2-3 minutes, then go for your new 1RM.

The idea is to prepare the body by following perfect movement pattern. All the warm-ups also help you focus on the task ahead and prepare the muscles for the task at hand.

[quote]Also there was an article on supplemental exercises to do to help increase the bench press. I have tried searching in archives but did not find what I was looking for. Anyone remember this article?

Thanks for any input. [/quote]

Search under “Dave Tate” and check out some of his articles and “Tate’s Toolbox” series.

Most likely, you’re going to be using floor presses, board presses, rack lockouts, dumbbell presses and a few other exercises to help strengthen the chest, shoulders and triceps. And don’t forget to do your rows! You need a strong upper back.

This is exactly the information i was looking for. Thanks to both of you.