T Nation

War Room for Weight Loss

Hi all,

After spending a significant amount of time on T-Nation the past few weeks I've come to the conclusion to orientate myself on CT's "How to Design a Damn Good Program" (because I always feel the need to adjust programs to my preferences) and " War Room Strategies to Maximize Fat Loss" (because I still have some excess body fat).

Since both articles are a few years old, I wanted to ask if there are newer resources I should consider or if the principles still stand?

I've read newer stuff like "6 weeks to Superhero" but I don't feel comfortable with snatches and Olympic lifts (I consider hiring a trainer in the future to teach me, but not in the near term).

bit about me: I'm 31 years old and was always sporty and fat. I've done some weightlifting when I was younger but in hindsight it was very unstructured. I've recently lost quite a bit of weight by fixing my nutrition and focusing on bodyweight exercises, some dumbbell work and running. Signed up for a proper gym now and want to focus on weight loss for another 2-3 months until my abs become visible before shifting to gaining size.

As such the "war room" article appealed to me strongly but I want to make sure I'm not missing on latest research when embarking on it.

Many thanks in advance!
Alessandro

Drink,
CT has written a bunch of times that he doesn't like answering questions about old programs. I lost 35lbs using the War-room program, so I thought I might jump in.

Most of the folks here will likely tell you fat loss is not achieved with your workouts - its a nutrition issue. They will say - Train for strength to preserve muscle while you put the body into a calorie deficit, ideally with low enough carbs to improve your insulin sensitivity. Pick any of the strength-focused program here, and cut all the carbs out of your diet, except for your peri-workout nutrition. Wash, rinse, repeat.

However, I have found that in addition to strength preservation with low-rep heavy lifting, I got a lot of benefit of High-intensity Interval training. Complexes with multiple Olympic variations, especially. The war-room schedule is a nice way to structure a week of training for two strength sessions, two HIIT sessions, and some Steady-state cardio. I think it might work for you, based on what you wrote about your training experience.

I actually got leaner faster doing the Super Hero program, but honestly, if you don't have a year or more of serious training with heavy barbell exercises, you are going to get really frustrated trying to put things together. It took me a hell of a time to make it work, and I had 15 years of time under the bar, 5+ of them under great coaching.