T Nation

War on Test: Dispatches From Front

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
The sense of perspective is just so wrong, that it beggars belief.

You can all come and stay here in the UK with me, lol.

Hey I could invite trusted friends over from the US/Canada, to my house, for a ‘steroid bootcamp’.

All inclusive price would include as many different anabolics as you want, PCT, GH, IGF1, 'slin, whatever you fancy, plus a deal with the local gym (lots of barbells, lifting platform, etc) for your membership.

I could get an extra fridge in for all the extra food too.

TV and DVD player in your room, to work out all the extra libido issues. Actually, the local girls would be more than happy to bed some muscley yank studs, I’m sure. Just keep your paws off my missus, or feel the edge of my katana.

So come and stay here for your steroid holiday :wink:

Bookings being taken now!

Bushy[/quote]

I’ve been over the pond twice, and I have to say from my own experiences I could very much settle in to living over there, except for the fact that I couldn’t live without mexican food. Bushy, if you can make salsa and are willing to serve me wearing a sumbrero from time to time then you have yourself a faithfu customer.

WTF? Tested positive for a blood transfusion? I’d imagine they could only do this by checking blood antibodies and antigens, but say he was smart enough to get his own blood type transfered. Seriously though, that’s just fucked up.

Round trip ticket to Wales: $2000

Cab from airport to Bushy’s Flat: 50 Sterling

Look on Bushy’s face when half of T-Nation’s members actually show up at his doorstep: PRICELESS

fiveoh01 wrote:
Round trip ticket to Wales: $2000

Cab from airport to Bushy’s Flat: 50 Sterling

Look on Bushy’s face when half of T-Nation’s members actually show up at his doorstep: PRICELESS

LOL, you’re not kidding!!![/quote]

I will have to remember to pack a camera and take a pic when I get there :wink:

It’s be funny because he’d have no idea who we were initially, so we could fuck with him. Maybe get a fake badge and start asking question.

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:
It’s be funny because he’d have no idea who we were initially, so we could fuck with him. Maybe get a fake badge and start asking question.[/quote]

Oh Hell No, Schwartzy’! I can see the headline already: “Group of muscular tourists arrested for impersonating Police Constables”/;-D…

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:
It’s be funny because he’d have no idea who we were initially, so we could fuck with him. Maybe get a fake badge and start asking question.[/quote]

" Hello Mr. Bad Boy, were agents of the american DEA, we have reason to believe you ha… wait… is that mexican food I smell?"

Champion bodybuilder and Alabama student found dead
Written by The Tuscaloosa News
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. A national bodybuilding champion who was a student at the University of Alabama was found dead Wednesday morning by his roommate.

Dan Puckett, 22, was a senior at Alabama and would have graduated in December. Capt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit, said Puckett’s roommate found him dead in the bathroom of their apartment.

Puckett’s roommate last saw him about 1 p.m. Tuesday. He had complained of a possible muscle injury after returning home from the gym.

“The roommate left and returned at 7 a.m. He couldn’t get an answer at the door and got a call that no one had heard from him since Tuesday afternoon,” Baker told The Tuscaloosa News. “When he got no response, he forced his way in and found him on the bathroom floor.”

Baker said there were no visible signs of trauma or any suggestion of foul play. An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday. But it could take weeks for toxicology results to be returned for a final determination.

Puckett was from Muscle Shoals. He was studying marketing at Alabama’s School of Commerce and Business Administration. He was the heavyweight winner of the 2006 NPC Teenage/Collegiate National Bodybuilding contest held in Pittsburgh.

Joyner-Kersee says nothing replaces hard work - even steroids
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Retired track and field star Jackie Joyner-Kersee said she never considered using steroids despite several last-place finishes early in her career.

‘‘I finished last, and I didn’t think about trying to take a pill or anything that could enhance my performance,’’ Joyner-Kersee said Thursday during a Peak Vista Community Health Centers breakfast at The Broadmoor hotel.

‘‘I stayed the course. I believed in myself. I believed in my coaches. And eventually, I started getting the results from my hard work.’’

Joyner-Kersee, 45, a three-time Olympic gold medalist and a proponent in Chicago’s bid for the 2016 Summer Games, delivered a 25-minute keynote address to about 650 people.

In attendance were Mayor Lionel Rivera; Senate Minority Leader Andy McElhany, R-Colorado Springs; Rep. Stella Garza Hicks, R-Colorado Springs; and Bill Hybl, chairman of the El Pomar Foundation.

Steroids has again become a hot topic because of the largest bust in U.S. history and a confession from one of track and field’s biggest names.

In September, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration made 124 arrests and seized 11.4 million doses of steroids at 56 labs in Operation Raw Deal. The DEA also uncovered 37 Chinese factories that supplied raw materials to U.S. labs.

Retired sprinter Marion Jones admitted last month that she took the designer steroid ‘‘the clear’’ from September 2000 to July 2001. She later relinquished the five medals she won at the 2000 Sydney Games, including golds in the 100 meters, the 200 and the 1,600 relay.

In high school, Joyner-Kersee, 45, of East St. Louis, Ill., struggled in most of her races since she ‘‘couldn’t run very fast or very far at all. I just really wanted to be on the track team.’’

When Joyner-Kersee got to UCLA, she was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma, a condition that landed her in the hospital multiple times.

Joyner-Kersee maintains steroids wouldn’t have solved her problems.

‘‘There is nothing that can replace hard work. If you have a dream and if you work hard toward that dream, your time will come,’’ said Joyner-Kersee, the world-record holder in the heptathlon. ‘‘If you’re trying something, you’re going to pay the price. If you take shortcuts, your shortcomings are going to come your way.’’

Asked what message she has to fans about the growing use of steroids in sports, Joyner-Kersee said, ‘‘Steroids is something people don’t like to talk about. But you need to talk about it to the point where it becomes a part of the conversation. It is a drug, a drug that will destroy you.’’

Key players involved in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroids scandal:

Barry Bonds – The San Francisco Giants outfielder broke baseball’s career home run record on Aug. 7 when he hit number 756, surpassing the previous record held by Hank Aaron for more than three decades. He also holds baseball’s season home run record of 73. The Giants told Bonds in September they would not bring him back next season, ending a 15-year run. Allegations of steroid use have dogged Bonds for years and led to fierce debates over whether his records were tainted. According to a book published last year by San Francisco Chronicle reporters Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, Bonds began using a variety of banned substances as early as 1998, including steroids and human growth hormone. The scrutiny intensified in late 2003, when Bonds testified before the federal grand jury investigating BALCO, the company at the center of the doping scandal. According to the indictment, Bonds told the grand jury he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. Bonds, 43, said his personal trainer Greg Anderson supplied him with a cream the slugger thought was arthritis balm and a clear liquid he thought was flaxseed oil, descriptions that match the performance-enhancing drugs “the cream” and “the clear” distributed by the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative. Federal prosecutors launched a new investigation into whether he lied under oath and possible tax-evasion charges stemming from sales of Bonds memorabilia.

Kimberly Bell – The graphic artist from San Jose, Calif., says she began dating Barry Bonds in 1994 and the relationship continued for five years after the player remarried in 1998. Bell testified before a grand jury that Bonds told her of his steroid use and flew into rages she attributed to steroid use, according to testimony obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle. She also testified that Bonds gave her $80,000 in proceeds from the sale of autographed baseballs and other memorabilia to make a down payment on a house. Bonds’ attorney Michael Rains identified Bell as a key witness in the perjury investigation, and he has accused her of trying to extort money from his client.

Greg Anderson – Barry Bonds’ childhood friend and personal trainer, Anderson pleaded guilty in 2005 to federal charges alleging he helped run a steroid-distribution ring that served dozens of athletes. He served three months in prison after pleading guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids and one count of money laundering. He allegedly supplied Bonds with the BALCO-supplied performance-enhancing drugs known as “the cream” and “the clear.” He spent most of the past year in a Bay Area federal jail for refusing to testify before the grand jury investigating his friend for perjury. A judge ordered his release following Bonds’ indictment.

Victor Conte – The president of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative in Burlingame, Calif., the clinic at the center of the steroids scandal, was indicted along with Barry Bonds’ personal trainer Greg Anderson, track coach Remi Korchemny and BALCO vice president James Valente on 42 counts of running a steroid-distribution ring. Conte pleaded guilty to money laundering and a steroid distribution charge in 2005 and served four months in prison. BALCO allegedly sold steroids to some of the biggest names in sports, including Oakland Raiders linebacker Dan Romanowski, track star Marion Jones and Yankees stars Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield. Conte said last month he did not believe federal authorities had enough evidence to indict Bonds.

Troy Ellerman – The one-time lawyer for Victor Conte pleaded guilty in February to allowing a San Francisco Chronicle reporter to view transcripts of grand jury testimony by Bonds and other star athletes. Ellerman was serving as the attorney for BALCO vice president James Valente, and it was while he was representing Valente that he allowed reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada to view the players’ grand jury testimony. The leaked testimony was featured prominently in Fainaru-Wada’s book co-written with Lance Williams called Game of Shadows, which recounts the alleged steroid use of Bonds. A friend and former private investigator in Ellerman’s law firm turned him in to authorities after they had a falling out. Ellerman blamed the pressures of the high-profile case coupled with alcohol and cocaine abuse for his actions. He is serving two and a half years in prison over the leak.

Kevin Ryan – The U.S. Attorney for Northern California stepped down in January, one of eight federal prosecutors sacked amid accusations against the Bush administration that the firings were a politically motivated scandal. As San Francisco’s top federal prosecutor starting in 2002, Ryan initiated the prosecution of BALCO in 2003, when a track coach Trevor Graham contacted the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and identified BALCO president Victor Conte as the source of steroids detected in several track stars. Defense attorneys lashed out at Ryan and the U.S. Attorney’s Office over the leaking of grand jury testimony to two San Francisco Chronicle reporters. Troy Ellerman later admitted to being the source of the leak.

Jeff Novitzky – The Internal Revenue Service special agent has led the investigation of Barry Bonds and BALCO since the beginning. The one-time San Jose State baseball player worked out at the same Bay Area gym as Bonds and his personal trainer Greg Anderson. Defense attorneys have called him a failed athlete with a vendetta. Novitzky led a raid last year on the home of Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Jason Grimsley, who federal investigators say admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs and named other players who used banned substances, including amphetamines.

Patrick Arnold – The Illinois chemist created “the clear,” an undetectable designer steroid at the heart of the BALCO scandal. Arnold pleaded guilty last year to a charge of conspiring to distribute steroids and served three months in prison. The amateur bodybuilder admitted in court that he supplied BALCO with substances designed to evade testing. He also said he supplied steroids himself to coaches.

Trevor Graham – Elite track coach who worked with disgraced sprinters Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery and Justin Gatlin. Pleaded not guilty to three counts of making false statements to federal agents. U.S. District Court Judge Susan Illston granted a request from his defense lawyers to remove themselves from the case, which will delay the start of Graham’s trial, which had been scheduled to start Nov. 26. Graham launched the BALCO probe in 2003 when he sent the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency a vial of “the clear.” Graham was granted immunity for his cooperation, but prosecutors said the immunity did not protect him against charges of lying to investigators. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison and $750,000 in fines.

Marion Jones – The three-time Olympic gold medalist pleaded guilty in October to lying to federal investigators in 2003 when she denied using performance-enhancing drugs. She said she was told by her then-coach Trevor Graham that she was taking flaxseed oil when it was actually steroids. After acknowledging that she started doping before the 2000 Olympics, Jones returned all five medals to the International Olympic Committee. International Olympic and track and field officials said they were prepared to wipe her name officially from the record books and possibly ban her from future Olympics in any capacity. Prosecutors have said Jones is likely to face a maximum of six months in prison when she is sentenced in January.

Michael Rains – Barry Bonds’ defense attorney has vigorously asserted his client’s innocence since the start of the BALCO scandal. “He did not take anything illegal. His best friend in the world (strength trainer Greg Anderson) did not give him anything illegal,” Rains told reporters in 2004. Before the BALCO case, the prominent Bay Area lawyer defended one of four Oakland police officers known as “The Riders” in a case that stirred scandal after a fellow officer accused the group of corruption and misconduct in 2000.

Steve Hoskins – The sports memorabilia dealer was a one-time friend and business partner of Barry Bonds. The Redwood City, Calif., businessman and Bonds made huge profits selling autographs of the slugger. The relationship soured in 2003 when Bonds spotted a fan wearing a jersey bearing his autograph that he said was a fake, according to Hoskins’ lawyer, Michael Cardoza. Rains has said Hoskins and Kimberly Bell are key witnesses in the government’s case against Bonds.

Tammy Thomas – Former elite cyclist was the first athlete charged in connection with the BALCO probe. She has pleaded not guilty to three counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice. Banned from cycling for life in August 2002 after norbolethone, an obscure and previously undetectable steroid, was found in her urine. In October, Thomas’ lawyer asked a judge to throw out the case against her, saying she unwittingly took the steroid but was not permitted to explain that to the grand jury when she testified.

Remi Korchemny – Former track coach sentenced to a year of probation after pleading guilty in July 2005 to misdemeanor count of doling out the sleep-disorder drug modafinil, which also could be used as a performance enhancer. Korchemny also agreed to a lifetime ban from coaching from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. Although Korchemny was not considered a major player in the BALCO scandal, his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of misbranding a prescription drug formed the basis of USADA’s case.

Kentucky horse sales to ban steroids

The Courier-Journal

Starting in January, both Keeneland and Fasig-Tipton will enforce a new policy that bans the administration of anabolic steroids in thoroughbred weanlings and yearlings within 45 days of their intended sale at the central Kentucky auctions.

The Lexington-based sales companies jointly announced today the new rules that in effect will ban the use of steroids in horses going through the auction ring. Just as in humans, the controlled substances can be used to give the animals a stronger, more athletic look for a short period. How prevalent the use of steroids in horses being sold at auction is unknown.

Beginning next year, weanling or yearling buyers can request testing at the time of purchase. If the sale horse tests positive for anabolic steroids, the buyer will have the right, within 24 hours of notification, to rescind the sale.

Use of steroids in racing and in horses being sold at auction has been under review by the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium. Last month, a state task force proposed ways for the industry to address auction issues in an effort to promote integrity. The task force�??s recommendations included a ban on steroid use in horses being sold at auction.

This is not a competitive issue; this is an integrity issue. By establishing a policy, and developing testing procedures that are practical and fair to all involved, we safeguard the credibility of the entire Thoroughbred industry, said Nick Nicholson, president and chief executive of Keeneland and Walt Robertson, president of Fasig-Tipton, in a joint statement.

You can all come and stay here in the UK with me, lol.
[/quote]
Mistake #1

Mistake #2

Mistake #3

[quote]

Bookings being taken now!

Bushy[/quote]

Lock the fridge and lay out the welcome mat, I’mma comin!

Steroid Problem Not Just for the Pros!

Farmingdale, N.Y. - A mom worries about the pressures on her 17-year-old son. A prosecutor frets the problem may be worse than anyone imagines. And a former Mr. Universe predicts law enforcement crackdowns will succeed about as well as Prohibition.
While Marion Jones and Barry Bonds create the biggest headlines in the steroids scandals that have roiled professional sports, many believe the problem is far more prevalent among amateur athletes in America’s schoolyards and gyms, thanks in part to the easy availability of performance-enhancing drugs.
Whipping up a batch of “juice” in your kitchen or a makeshift lab could not be easier; the correct clicks on Internet sites provide not only the raw materials, but instructions on how it’s done…
“People think it’s only the multimillion-dollar athletes, the Barry Bonds,” Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said. “And that’s fine if professional athletes want to do that, but they have to understand they serve as role models for our little kids. I would not be surprised if it turns out that these steroids are going to the local high schools, the high school gyms.”…
But it appears many others are getting their hands on steroids by more covert means.
A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey of high school students throughout the United States in 2005 found that nearly 5 percent reported using steroids without a doctor’s prescription. And a 2006 Monitoring the Future Study revealed 17 percent of eighth-graders, 30 percent of 10th-graders, and 41 percent of 12th-graders reported that steroids were “fairly easy” or “very easy” to obtain.
Darlene Iaquinta of Melville said her 17-year-old son A.J. is an athlete who has rejected the lure of performance-enhancing drugs. But she understands that the temptation exists, especially as sports become more competitive.

“I think the pressure for them to excel in their sport is such - to get the scholarship, to go to college - that they’re looking for any edge that they can get,” she said during a break in her own workout routine at a Long Island gym.

“And quite frankly, so are the parents. And if they think steroids will do it, then they’re going to use that, unfortunately.”

Steve Michalik, a former bodybuilding champion crowned both Mr. America and Mr. Universe in the 1970s, said he too has seen the pressure on young people to “juice.” He recalled a teenage pitcher told to get the speed up on his fastball by a major league scout.

“He comes back to the gym and he’s all buffed up,” Michalik said. “And he admits to me that he took steroids with his father’s approval, because it means dollars.”

[b]Michalik, who once used steroids but now advocates for a clean workout regimen, is dubious of law enforcement crackdowns. He predicted the recent sweeps across the country will do little to stem the flow of steroids.

“I was thinking back to the days of Prohibition, where the government spends thousands, maybe millions of dollars in manpower and money and effort in a losing cause,” the muscular 59-year-old personal trainer lamented. “Because you can’t stop people from doing what they want to do.”

He said legalization and regulation are the only remedies[/b], and warns that taking a substance whipped up in some guy’s basement carries its own peril.

“Who knows what impurity you’re injecting into your bloodstream?” he said.

Prosecutors on steroids?
Debra J. Saunders

I don’t know enough about baseball to rail about what an arrogant lout Barry Bonds is, as so many others in the news biz do.

I don’t follow baseball. I’m no fan. Still, I am appalled at last week’s federal indictment of Mr. Bonds on four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice.

Lying to federal authorities is wrong and poisonous to the criminal justice system, if Mr. Bonds lied. And if Mr. Bonds took steroids �?? and who thinks he didn’t? �?? he has devalued his home-run record and must live the rest of his life wondering if his body will break down because of his ambition.

My beef? I admire tenacious no-holds-barred prosecutors �?? when they go after violent thugs, mobsters and would-be terrorists. The U.S. Justice Department, however, has gone overboard in wielding its awesome might for years �?? acting on an August 2002 tip �?? to prolong a case it could have wrapped up long ago. The feds have crossed the line from closing a righteous case to prosecutorial overkill.

The charges against Mr. Bonds concern grand-jury testimony four years ago, on Dec. 4, 2003. Under grant of immunity (unless he lied), Mr. Bonds asserted he never knowingly used banned steroids. He said he thought his personal trainer was treating him with flaxseed oil and arthritis balm.

As the San Francisco Chronicle’s Lance Williams reported, prosecutors say they have a �??mountain of evidence�?? �?? including doping calendars showing Mr. Bonds’ drug regimen and payments seized in raids in September 2003. The indictment claims Mr. Bonds tested positive for two anabolic steroids.

That raises the big question: Why did the U.S. attorney take another four years to indict? If their case is so strong, what were they waiting for?

Mr. Bonds’ personal trainer, Greg Anderson, pleaded guilty to steroid dealing and served three months in prison. Afterward, when Anderson refused to testify against Mr. Bonds, a federal judge found him in contempt and sent Anderson behind bars. Anderson’s attorney says he is not cooperating with the authorities, but he was released last week.
In March 2005, Mr. Bonds’ former girlfriend Kimberly Bell testified the slugger told her that he had taken banned steroids. Still, the feds did not move for two years.

Last year, Mr. Williams and then-Chronicle reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada lived under a cloud after they refused a federal judge’s order to reveal the confidential sources of stories they had written on the BALCO steroids scandal. U.S. District Judge Jeffrey White held them in contempt and ordered them imprisoned for up to 18 months. Judge White stayed the sentence pending appeal, then lifted it after Troy Ellerman, a former defense lawyer in the BALCO case, admitted to leaking the grand-jury transcripts. He was sentenced to 2½ years in prison.

The longest sentence served by any BALCO defendant was four months. Anderson served more time for not testifying against Mr. Bonds than he served for dealing designer steroids. You would think that not helping prosecutors is the bigger crime.

Joe Russoniello was nominated to become Northern California’s U.S. attorney on Thursday. Attorney General Michael Mukasey assumed his post this month. They’ve both inherited this headache.

If prosecutors win a guilty verdict, Mr. Bonds no doubt will have earned it. But I have to ask if this entire exercise was worth the price �?? was worth sending Anderson to prison to serve more time than any BALCO sentence.

I have to question how federal prosecutors work �?? extending a case four years (during which Mr. Bonds broke the home-run record) when they say they had mountains of physical evidence. If they consider perjury a threat to the system, why wait years to go after a man so many observers believe lied to a grand jury? Doesn’t that undermine the system’s credibility, too?

and I wonder why the feds have put so much energy into this case, when there are so many truly dangerous criminals out there.

A Harvest of Trash and Turmoil for an Agent Fighting Steroids
By DUFF WILSON and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
Jeff Novitzky is an unlikely contender for the role of Eliot Ness of the steroids age. He is an I.R.S. special agent, a position that is rarely glamorous. The work is often tedious and dull, poring over bank records and tax returns, and writing reports.

Mr. Novitzky, an accomplished high school athlete who majored in accounting in college, is quiet, respectful and direct in his work for the Internal Revenue Service, and he enjoys getting out of the office to track his cases. [i]He is not above going through people�??s trash. Or listening in on their phone calls.

He has been known to take their trash home some nights[/i], to keep working.

Now, Mr. Novitzky is front and center in the biggest investigation to hit baseball since Chicago�??s Black Sox scandal in 1919. He dug up the evidence that a grand jury used last week to indict Barry Bonds, who became baseball�??s career home run leader this year with the San Francisco Giants. Mr. Bonds faces five felony charges for perjury and obstruction of justice that could send him to prison for years.

It was clear almost immediately after the indictment was announced that Mr. Bonds would not be the only person on trial in San Francisco next year. Mr. [i]Bonds�??s lawyers are trying to base their defense on Mr. Novitzky and his methods. The very qualities that make Mr. Novitzky a respected investigator �?? his passion, aggressiveness and perseverance �?? are expected to be used against him in trying to have the case dismissed.

Over the past five years, the meticulous but little-known Mr. Novitzky has been dogging some of the world�??s finest athletes and their coaches and the people who may have supplied them with performance-enhancing drugs[/i].

Among government officials and antidoping authorities, Mr. Novitzky is heralded as a pioneer. They credit him with helping to change how the illegal distribution of performance-enhancing drugs is prosecuted. They describe him as a tenacious and methodical investigator whose work has always held up in court.

Mr. Novitzky�??s work has cost the sprinter Marion Jones five Olympic medals and has helped obtain federal convictions of her and six others. He has persuaded many of the people who inhabit that world to save themselves by helping him �?? without ever raising his voice.

He urged the former Mets clubhouse worker Kirk Radomski, said to be the biggest supplier of steroids to Major League Baseball players until 2005, to become a government informant and wear a listening device as he went about his work for 16 months. Mr. Novitzky secured his cooperation after leading a surprise raid at Mr. Radomski�??s home on Long Island.

George J. Mitchell, the former senator, is relying on information based on Mr. Novitzky�??s legwork to provide details and evidence for his coming report on steroids in baseball.

No Shortage of Critics

Mr. Novitzky�??s detractors, mainly the defendants and their lawyers, say he is biased and unfair. They say he has a vendetta against Mr. Bonds, is seeking fame and financial gain from the case, and puts words into suspects�?? mouths. They say he has lied in sworn reports, including on the initial search warrant affidavit that kick-started the investigation of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative and its many famous clients.

Since May, Mr. Bonds�??s lawyer, Michael Rains, has accused Mr. Novitzky of lying in the court documents used to obtain much of the evidence gathered against Mr. Bonds, according to letters obtained by The New York Times. Mr. Novitzky�??s credibility, motives and methods have been the subject of correspondence between Mr. Rains and the United States attorney�??s office in San Francisco.

Cheating to win �?? the athletes did it; the government did it, too, Victor Conte Jr., Balcos founder and president, said in an interview. Mr. Conte spent four months in jail based on evidence Mr. Novitzky gathered.

Mr. Novitzky declined to be interviewed for this article or to respond specifically to assertions of his misconduct by Mr. Rains. He asked that his photograph not be published, explaining in an e-mail message, �??The possibility of greatly diminishing my ability to investigate this case and others arises any time my picture and name are publicized.�??

Growing up in Burlingame, Calif., Mr. Novitzky, the 6-foot-6 son of a high school basketball coach, starred in basketball and track at Mills High School, once clearing 7 feet in the high jump. But his collegiate career �?? at three universities over five years �?? was washed out by knee and back injuries.

�??He was very clean-cut, yes-sir, no-sir, always there on time, hustle, and do everything you asked him to do,�?? Stan Morrison, the former San Jose State University basketball coach, said in an interview. �??He was absolutely an Eagle Scout.�??

Mr. Novitzky joined the I.R.S. in 1993. For nine years, he worked low-profile cases in the Bay Area as he and his wife, Stacy, a nurse, started their family. They have three daughters, ages 10, 8 and 2. Mr. Novitzky drives a Chevrolet Monte Carlo, coaches girls�?? sports and plays fantasy football in a league with his high school buddies.

He lives around the corner from his parents, and his father said he would rather remain an agent to stay near home than be promoted and be subject to transfers. The I.R.S. refuses to say how much Mr. Novitzky makes, but the top salary for a special agent in San Jose is $145,400 a year.

The Balco case started in August 2002. At the time, using steroids without a prescription was a crime largely ignored by the authorities. The F.B.I. mostly stopped doing drug cases after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and the Drug Enforcement Administration focused primarily on the biggest ones, involving heroin or cocaine. Rusty Payne, a D.E.A. spokesman, said the Bay Area steroids case was �??from a D.E.A. standpoint, small potatoes.�??

Mr. Novitzky lives less than a mile from Mr. Conte�??s Balco office and the World Gym where Mr. Bonds pumped himself up during his home run spree in 2001, when he hit a record 73.

Assigned to the case after a tip, Mr. Novitzky started going through the Balco trash in September 2002. The reasons for the investigation are unclear. Collecting drug samples and financial records weekly, Mr. Novitzky identified more than a dozen famous clients.

�??Most federal investigations are built on cooperating witnesses,�?? said Nanci L. Clarence, a San Francisco defense lawyer for athletes summoned to the grand jury. �??More rarely do you see Dumpster diving.�??

Mr. Novitzky also joined Mr. Bonds�??s gym. Back in his office in San Jose, he teamed with Jeff Nedrow, an assistant United States attorney, and enlisted Don H. Catlin, then director of the U.C.L.A. Olympic Analytical Laboratory, as his drug tutor.

Dr. Catlin recalled that Mr. Novitzky could not even pronounce erythropoietin, a hormone, when they first spoke. Years later, some people thought Mr. Novitzky had medical training, so commanding was his knowledge of performance-enhancing drugs.

Some Tactical Errors

But lawyers defending athletes are suspicious of Mr. Novitzky�??s motives and describe him as out of control. They point to the many charges that have been dropped, the light sentences for those who have been convicted and the sluggish pace of the investigation. Of the seven people convicted in the Balco case, a lawyer who leaked grand jury testimony received the toughest sentence, two and a half years.

Mr. Novitzky made some tactical mistakes. He took Balco trash home to examine, then put the resealed bags in a trash container behind a building near his old high school that had no connection to the case. The owner of that building complained to Balco.

It was then, Mr. Conte said, that he knew someone was going through his trash. He also said he learned his mail was being opened and copied, and he said he once spotted somebody following him. Joyce Valente, a Balco employee, filed a police report about the �??stolen�?? trash in August 2002, and the local weekly paper published an item about it. Three weeks later, forced to act quickly, Mr. Novitzky led 20 agents on the raid of Balco.

�??They came in before they were ready to,�?? Mr. Conte said. �??They�??d blown their cover.�??

Mr. Novitzky does not tape his interviews but writes detailed reports. Mr. Conte; Greg Anderson, Mr. Bonds�??s personal trainer; James Valente, Balco�??s former vice president; and the former pitcher Jason Grimsley are among those who have complained that Mr. Novitzky misstated some of what they said or attributed to them information he had collected elsewhere. Mr. Conte has filed sworn statements saying he had not even met 3 of the 27 athletes to whom Mr. Novitzky said he had admitted giving steroids.

Mr. Conte said Mr. Novitzky�??s mistakes led the government to drop 40 of 42 charges against him. The prosecutors said that his was a fair outcome and that Mr. Novitzky had not erred.

In letters to Scott N. Schools, the interim United States attorney in San Francisco, Mr. Rains argued that the government should walk away from its investigation because of Mr. Novitzky�??s �??vendetta�?? against Mr. Bonds.

But Dwight Sparlin, a retired I.R.S. manager who led the San Francisco office when the Balco case started, said the original focus was on Mr. Conte.

�??He wasn�??t even looking at Barry Bonds,�?? Mr. Sparlin said in an interview. �??What appears to be a small money-laundering case, you never know where it will go.�??

Mr. Rains accused Mr. Novitzky of perjury in two sworn statements at the heart of the Balco case. Mr. Rains wrote that all evidence obtained from Balco and Mr. Anderson�??s home against all defendants should be thrown out because Mr. Novitzky put a false statement in the original search warrant affidavit about the reliability of an informant.

Mr. Rains also said two members of the San Mateo narcotics task force, who worked with Mr. Novitzky early in the case, met with Mr. Nedrow, the assistant United States attorney, to express their concerns about what they said were the false statements by Mr. Novitzky. Mr. Rains wrote that Mr. Nedrow replied that he would deal with the problems later but never did. One member of the task force did not respond to specific questions by e-mail, and the other could not be identified.

In early 2003, Mr. Novitzky had a state narcotics agent go undercover in a gym to try to befriend Mr. Anderson. The agent, Iran White, later told Playboy magazine that Mr. Novitzky was obsessed with Mr. Bonds and talked about writing a book. One of the task force agents corroborated Mr. White�??s account, according to Mr. Rains�??s letters to Mr. Schools.

Mr. Novitzky signed a sworn statement in 2004 denying he had ever discussed a book deal. A response to Mr. Rains from Mr. Schools did not address the specific contentions about Mr. Novitzky, but said the government would continue the case against Mr. Bonds because it had �??significant evidence that contradicts your client�??s grand jury testimony.�??

[b]Mr. Conte said the government gave favorable sentences to the Balco defendants in plea negotiations after postponing a court hearing that was going to focus on Mr. Novitzky�??s conduct.

‘We were going to nail him, big time,’ Mr. Conte said, a threat now being repeated by Mr. Rains[/b].

Kevin V. Ryan, the United States attorney in San Francisco until earlier this year, said none of the complaints had merit.

�??He has taken a lot of unfair shots,�?? Mr. Ryan said of Mr. Novitzky in a telephone interview. �??Most of the criticism, if not all, has been false or hyperbole or an effort to distract people�??s attention from what is going on. There has not been a motion to suppress that has held up. Those that have been granted were reversed. Everything he has done has held up.�?? [quote]Note: Ryan is an asshole and was removed from his position…[/quote]

Some antidoping advocates gush when they speak of Mr. Novitzky�??s effect on sports.

�??Agent Novitzky has been one of the pioneers in trying to rid an issue that is cancerlike in the world of sports,�?? Peter V. Ueberroth, the chairman of the United States Olympic Committee and former baseball commissioner, said in a phone interview.

Mr. Ryan put his work in even grander terms: �??He has changed the face of sports.�??

Trail of Confessions

Last month, Mr. Novitzky induced Ms. Jones, once the world�??s most famous female athlete, to admit to steroid use after seven years of public denial. To extract her confession, he used the leverage of a more serious charge from an unrelated check-fraud scheme. No positive test result was needed. Ms. Jones pleaded guilty to lying to federal agents.

The world-class sprinters Tim Montgomery and Justin Gatlin were swayed by Mr. Novitzky to be informants. Their former coach, Trevor Graham, is also facing trial for lying to Mr. Novitzky, a charge Mr. Graham denies. Lawyers for Mr. Graham say Mr. Novitzky has been unfair, but lawyers for Mr. Montgomery and Mr. Gatlin praised him.

�??Even in the range of federal law enforcement, his ability is high.�?? said Timothy J. Heaphy, a former federal prosecutor who is Montgomery�??s lawyer. Mr. Heaphy described him as �??respectful, polite and prepared.�??

Mr. Novitzky confronted Mr. Gatlin with the evidence he had against him, and persuaded him to make more than a dozen undercover telephone calls, starting the day they met. Later, Mr. Novitzky testified for Mr. Gatlin at a track federation hearing.

Mr. Novitzky has �??a very physical, imposing presence,�?? Ms. Clarence, the lawyer for athletes, said, adding that he is �??good at putting the thumb on people, pressuring them to cooperate.�??

His work has spawned inquiries beyond Balco. The D.E.A. is making major cases in part because Congress, influenced by the Balco case, enhanced the penalties for steroid distribution. More steroid cases are being prosecuted under state laws, too. The Albany County district attorney�??s office in New York is pursuing Internet pharmacies in four states. That case has also made news for implicating professional athletes as customers.

Next month, Mr. Bonds will make his first appearance in federal court. Mr. Radomski is expected to be sentenced. The Mitchell report is due soon. Ms. Jones is to be sentenced Jan. 11.

After she pleaded guilty last month in White Plains, she admitted to cheating and lying about steroid use, sobbing on the courthouse steps.

Standing alone, away from the crowd, was the tall, bald I.R.S. agent waiting for a car to take him to the airport.

Correction: A front-page article on Sunday about Jeff Novitzky, a special agent for the I.R.S. who is the government�??s leading investigator of doping in sports, misstated the name of a performance-enhancing drug and referred imprecisely to one of Mr. Novitzky�??s high school athletic accomplishments. The drug is erythropoietin, a blood-boosting hormone; there is no steroid known as eritropotin. Although Mr. Novitzky indeed cleared 7 feet in the high jump, he did not set a state record.