War of The Worlds; Let's Discuss

[quote]freejury wrote:
Very dissappointed with how it wrapped up, I think vroom’s idea would have worked well, maybe show a news report between him going to boston showing how the tripods all got taken out and the damage done all over the world, maybe how they took a couple aliens into custody and explained why they attacked, to kill us, to take our planet, whatever the reason.

either way, still cool movie
wwhhaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOooww

?[/quote]

The ending was very abrupt but it was true to HG Wells’s original version, with the aliens succumbing to viruses, which incidentally some people seemed to misunderstand.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
The ending was very abrupt but it was true to HG Wells’s original version, with the aliens succumbing to viruses, which incidentally some people seemed to misunderstand.[/quote]

Are you kidding? People don’t read anymore. I remember buying “The Davinci Code” at the store and having the cashier look at me funny.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
deanosumo wrote:
The ending was very abrupt but it was true to HG Wells’s original version, with the aliens succumbing to viruses, which incidentally some people seemed to misunderstand.

Are you kidding? People don’t read anymore. I remember buying “The Davinci Code” at the store and having the cashier look at me funny.[/quote]

And if you have muscles too, people are even more surprised that you read.

I thought it was great - but then I am a huge Science Fiction / Spielberg fan. Special effects were great, classic SS. I love the way he is careful to give you both close up and panoramic views of the events, aliens, etc. The death rays were totally 50s and completely appropriate. He updated in all the right place, while still keeping the old school feel. Dakota Fanning steals the show. As for Tom Cruise, maybe he is crazy, but just look at the scripts he picks. He is having an incredible run.

[quote]Gothic77 wrote:
Why wait for DVD?[/quote]

cuz of a hearing impairment (gotta love the subtitles) and just general pleasure of watching stuff while comfy. despite that though i broke the norm and saw this movie.

as much as i was looking forward to it, independence day was better.

schindler’s list and saving private ryan are two of the best movies ever so the problem wasn’t so much with spielberg (except that there shoulda been no music; spielberg has the gift of making an action that is better without music).

im for originality so i dont like copying. i dont like movies being made from books (the best movies ever are never books; except the notebook, but that’s a whole nother issue). although, i guess i understand adapting really great books into movies, but then remaking them seems awkward.

anyway, i wish spielberg and co had decided to start with wells’ idea then create their own living, breathing work of art (books and movies are different enough to require this, IMO). it should have been updated because we live in updated times. had wells’ novel come out today it wouldn’t be accepted, but it is accepted today because of its “classic” status (not that classics aren’t good, but they’re just different).

it had very little build-up, no climax, some silly dialogue/situations (cruise: “i’ll meet you in boston” as his kid goes running into what was known to be sure death; and he survives WTFWTFWTFWTF!). at least the silly dialogue/situations were almost as funny as episode II (tough to beat, i know). my buddy and i were irritating the surrounding audience due to unstiflable laughter at times.

P.S. as suckass as avp was it was still supersweetawesomezorz because of predator. YEEEEAAAAHHH!!11!

P.P.S. i heard it had great previews. whoever said that deserves a salad tossin by a screwdriver (king kong or whatever it’s called looks cool though).

P.P.P.S. i thought this discussion was gonna be about whether or not anybody thought this type of thing could happen in real life. that coulda been cool…

P.P.P.P.S. foreign films rule, hollywood drools. well, except for christian bale (i gotta see batmeng) and a few other rare gems.

the ending was ridiculous, it was like the writer just gave up at the end and was like “fuck it, the cells kill them”

My two main problems with the movie arent acting related, I really liked the acting from all the actors, even the boy who reminded my family of me when I was 13.

There came a point in the basement where the shotgun toting guy said ’

“They found a way to take’em down in Japan…” I right away thought of Signs when the River Phoenix’s brother said “They found a way to fight em in (insert correct country).” You cant help but want to know what that way is. And in both scenerios, they changed the subject. Pissed me the hell off.

I also agree whoever said the movie was too Tom Cruise oriented… They really should have expanded the bredth of protagonists a bit more.