Wanting A Change

THX for tha advice Ill be sure to take it. BUt whats fish oil and where do I get it? THX

Again, I totally agree with The Mage, esp about the Power Drive and the fasting between 9 and 5. Also, are those meal times going to work with your work and school schedule? You’d probably want a good post-workout meal when you get home from school. Again, let us know what you are doing in class.

Yes it will work at school and I only work 3 days (Tue,Fri,Sat) all of them 5-10pm, so it will work. Also what would a good post workout meal look like? Whats fish oil and where can I get it? Also are their any vitamns that would help or not? THX

Fish oil. Fish squeezens.

Just oil taken from fish. You can get it from Wal-Mart, many retailers, and drug stores. I get the Wal-Mart brand, and get the extra strength. Under supplement facts you will see EPA (Eciosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid). It is a great supplement, and not too expensive in my opinion. But it is just another form of fat, and a healthy one.

If you were to eat a lot of fish, you may not need it. But most likely you do.

It really balances out your dietary fats. As such it will improve insulin sensitivity in muscle, reduce insulin sensitivity in fat, reduce triglyceride levels, and a whole host of other benefits.

One thing you may find is that you may burp the taste of fish. Taking it with food can help if you dislike this, while there are enteric coated fish oil out there too. The coating is supposed to eliminate those fish burps. My wife prefers the coating, while I find the coating worse then the burps.

Start off with a couple a day. You could add one more after a week, and one more a week later for a total of 4 a day split throughout the day. (May not be an issue, but I have heard it is good to ease into this supplement.) After you learn more, you might take a lot more.

There are also some liquids out there that you can measure and drink. Some are flavored to cover up the taste. Haven’t tried them myself though.

Also for vitamins, just a basic multi right now. (It is preferable to find one without iron in it.) This is more for insurance then anything.

As you learn more you may want to add things, but right now go slow. Beyond this, I would say do not take any supplement unless you understand what it does. And preferably not just from advertising. (There is a lot of crap out there.) Also waiting until you are at least 18 before really getting into a lot of supplements is a good idea. Plus as I said before, as a newbie, especially a young one, you will benefit so much from just eating right and exercising that you may not gain any real benefits. Besides diet and exercise are at least 95% of the battle.

[quote]Techno-Elf wrote:
I changed it:

Meal 1: (6:30am)
Bacon and Egg Kesh
8 oz Yougart

Meal 2: (9:00am)
Low-Carb Grow!
Fruit/Mixed Nuts

Meal 3: (11:10am)(Pre-Workout)
Power Drive Drink

Meal 4: (1:17pm)(Post-Workout)
Surge Drink

Meal 5: (5:00pm)
Chicken/Fish/Hamburger <-(Grilled)
Some Vegetables
Fruit/Mixed Nuts

Meal 6: (8:00pm)
Low-Carb Grow!
8 oz Yougart

Is thi any better than the first one? I looked at that link before I made this…[/quote]

In my opinion you are building your diet way too much around powder (4 out of 6 meals). Before and after training it’s fine (but not necessary), but learn how to prepare real healthy food for the rest of your meals. It’s not that difficult, would give you much more micronutrients, taste better, be more satisfying, save you a whole lot of money etc etc.

[quote]Techno-Elf wrote:
Im 17 years old, in the 11th grade, about 6’ft tall and 275 (its not muscle)…Im also looking to increase my speed, endurance, strength as well as just feeling all around better.[/quote]

Bro, if you drop some weight, you’ll get faster, have more endurance, be stronger, and you’ll feel a whole bunch better.

How often is this class, and what kind of exercises, sets, and reps do they have you do? Without having those details, my first instinct is to throw you on a 3x/week, pretty-much-full body routine.
Super Simple Workout Plan #288
Monday - Squat 8x4, Standing Military Press 5x5, Assisted Pull-up or Front Pulldown 5x5, “Random Bicep Exercise” 3x12

Wednesday - Squat 4x8, Barbell Row 5x5, Flat Bench Press 5x5, “Random Tricep Exercise” 3x12

Saturday - Deadlift 8x4, Lunge or Step-Up 5x5, Standing DB Military Press 5x5, “Your Favorite 2 Ab moves here” 3x12

Don’t go to muscle failure on any of the sets, you a comfortable or “slightly heavy” weight, and don’t stress about tempo (or how fast you lift/lower the weights).

You could. If anything, I’d do some easy cardio after having a small protein drink (like, a scoop or half-a-scoop of Grow! in some water). 10-20 minutes of walking or bicycling around the block would be a fine place to start.

Pretty much anything by Berardi at T-Nation would be a fine start, and could give you an idea of which way to head.

I don’t want to sound super-harsh or anything, but I’d avoid the term “hurry up” in relation to your goals. I’d rather see you burn fat and build some quality muscle at a comfortable pace, rather than rush things and end up as, for lack of a better term, a smaller-sized fat guy. If you want to lose a quick 15 pounds, cut off an arm or leg. That’s weight loss. We want fat loss.

About the diet plan, it sounds like a very low calorie plan. Maybe too low. For a rough figure, I’d try to keep things at about 9xYour bodyweight (which would be about 2,400 calories a day). Dropping too many calories too fast is an easy way to eat through muscle tissue.

[quote]Techno-Elf wrote:
I WILL GIVE ANYTHING FOR SOMEONE TO HELP ME MAKE A MEAL PLAN FOR ONE DAY/WEEK![/quote]

You’re one lucky monkey I had posted this plan on another site I visit. I’ll be expecting delivery of your first born child to my doorstep no later than October 2015. :wink:

No, this isn’t calculated in terms of calories or macronutrients, but it’s far from a “bad” diet plan. Add in a Surge post-workout, and a Low-Carb Grow! sometime during the day, and you’re done. Smart eating + smart training = results. Period, end of sentence.

Sunday:
Breakfast - 1 bowl of Mini-wheats cereal with 1% milk, 1 glass of 1% milk to drink, 1 apple, orange, or banana.

Snack - 2 low-fat yogurts.

Lunch - Salad with tunafish, 1 diet soda.

Snack - 1 handful of mixed nuts.

Dinner - 2 pieces of chicken (not fried chicken), 1 small bowl of vegetables, 1 glass of water.

Monday:
Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of whole wheat toast, 1 glass of 1% milk.

Snack - 1 apple, orange, or banana.

Lunch - Roast beef sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato.

Snack - 1 piece of beef jerky, 1 bottle of water.

Dinner - 2 hamburgers without the buns, with lettuce, tomato and maybe pickles and onions.

Tuesday:
Breakfast- 3 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of ham or bacon, 1 big glass of water.

Snack - 1 string cheese, 1 apple, orange, or banana.

Lunch - Tunafish on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato, 1 diet soda.

Dinner - 2 pieces of chicken (not fried chicken), a bowl of salad, 1 glass of water.

Wednesday:
Breakfast - 1 bowl of oatmeal, 1 glass of 1% milk, 1 scrambled egg.

Snack - 1 hard boiled egg.

Lunch - Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with tomato, 1 diet soda.

[/u]Dinner[/u]- Big salad with 1 can of tuna, 1 glass of water.

Thursday:
Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs with 1 piece of ham or bacon, 1 big glass of water.

Snack - 1 yogurt, 1 apple, orange, or banana.

Lunch - Peanut Butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, 1 glass of 1% milk.

Snack - 1 Hard boiled egg.

Dinner - 1 steak, 1 bowl of mixed vegetables, 1 glass of water.

Friday:

Lunch - Roast beef sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato, 1 diet soda.

Snack - 1 string cheese.

Dinner - 2 pieces of cooked fish (salmon, orange roughy, tilapia, any fish), 1 bowl of vegetables, 1 glass of water.

Saturday:
Breakfast - 1 bowl of oatmeal mixed with a handful of blueberries or strawberries, 1 scrambled egg, 1 glass of 1% milk.

Lunch - Tunafish sandwich on whole wheat with cheese, lettuce, and tomato, 1 diet soda.

Dinner - Big salad with turkey, ham, roast beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, carrots, any vegetables, 1 glass of water.

Alright well its been a while since I posted becasue I found out that I hated weights class. Also in my absence I have tried HOTROX and Stacker 3, I quit taking them about 3 to 4 weeks ago because I just got tired of them. But lately Ive been losing alot of weight about 5 - 10 pounds and I dont knwo why I guess becasue Im not eating as much, but what I do eat isnt really dieting. Anyways Im back becasue I really do want to look better and feel better and not get picked on. So Mon-Fri in weights I we do the following:

Mon:
Bench
Incline
Decline
Power Clings

Tues:
Squats
Dead Lifts

Wed:
Bench
Incline
Decline
Power Clings

Thurs:
Squats
Dead Lifts

Fri:
Bench
Incline
Decline
Power Clings

Anyways every time I try to lift something Im confortable with people inn my group say do more and then they put more weight on it and I get picked on. (Im a big guy 260 but I dont have upper arm strength) SO what Im asking is for help. How much and how many should I do a day? What other exercises should I add? How much running should I do a day? What exercises could I do alone? Can anyone help me make a diet, that I could stick with, (an all fruit diet would be awsome, lol) I really want to lose weight and build my upper body strength (no more picked on) Im willing todo anything!!! Anything yall can suggest would be great. Thanks

[quote]Techno-Elf wrote:
Can anyone help me make a diet, that I could stick with…Im willing todo anything!!! [/quote]
Here’s the thing, though. Two and a half months ago, you asked for a meal plan. I gave you one, it had 21 healthful meals and 10 healthful snacks. How’s it been going? If you haven’t yet begun eating more appropriately, you can’t quite say you’re willing to do “anything”. (Yes, I know it’s a figure of speech, and I don’t want to come off sounding like a total jerk, but still.)

I need sleep right now. But tomorrow, I’ll check back and see what’s what. We’ll see if we can’t figure out a way to get you closer to where you want to be.

Thanks I really appreciate it. I did get off course but I never stopped eating heathlier. I have watched what I have been eating compared to 2 months ago but I know Im still not eating right like I want to be. Thanks for you help, by the way you have a pm.

The one thing that is going to be very hard at first getting into the gym or really doing anything in highschool is that other students will pick on you. It is all part of growing up. You will see those people at your 10 year reunion and laugh. Look, do the weight that you are comfortable with and as stated in a previous post once you are good with the form start addidng weight. Get one person that you can count on in the class and have them be your spotter and you his. In a month you will start to really notice some strength changes and weight loss. In 2 months you will start to feel your muscles are under that flab and will be doing more advanced exercizes. After 3 months wow what the hell are these pecks not boobs. You get the picture, being a bigger guy now will actually help you to become a beast in the gym. You have to look at the end results not how hard it is at the begining, it was hard for all of us.

Im looking for an exercise routine that I can do now when I have access to weights and for later when I dont have access to weights.

I know Im a real picky eater, well actually thats an understatment, but I also really want- no need- to lose alot of weight so if I could get help with a diet plan that would be great. I know its probably going to have foods I absolutly hate on it but I guess I just have to bite the bullet and go for it if I really want a big change, which I do.

I guess Im just looking to improve my whole body, especailly my upper body strength and the looks of my stomach region so I can go to the beach this summer without having to feel selfconcous about having my shirt off. I dont care how extreme it is because I need it. Im 260 and 6ft tall and Im looking to get down to around 180 to 200 by summer. I think with alot of hard work and yalls help I can do it. If yall could share any more opinons or ideas that would be great. Thanks

If anyone has any advice please share I really want to transform my body. I want to look like a new person by Aug 2006 and I want to stay looking good when I get their. If anyone has any diet plans or exercise routines I should try in weights instead of whats posted abouve please share. If I get a diet set up I plan to go shopping tomarrow so I can start my diet and exercise at the beginning of next week, Monday. Thanks

Hey Elf,

The workouts that you posted above, that you do in the weights class, is that the stuff that you have to do, or can you do whatever you want? If so, I’d go for something like I outlined in one of my above posts, the ‘Super Simple Workout Plan #288.’ A full body routine like that is so much more productive than what you’re doing now. But I do have to give you credit for doing the Power Clings (as long as you actually mean power cleans).

If you’re being hassled by those punks in the class, maybe you can train on your own, instead of in their group. Otherwise, you might need to go hog-wild and throw one of them a beating, reminding them not to piss off the big guy. (I’m joking, mostly. But you do need to realize that you don’t deserve to be picked on. Okay, sappy afterschool-special moment over.)

Are you doing any kind of cardio work during the week? I know you said you had some time available in the mornings, before school. It’d be a good idea to do some kind of cardio thingy in the morning, after having like a half-scoop of protein in water.

I’d consider some kind of Complex Training. Take your backpack, and toss in all the textbooks that will fit. I don’t really care how much it ends up weighing exactly, but it should feel pretty hefty. You’re going to pick up the bag, anyway you can, and you will not let go of it until the end of your workout. Try doing the following exercises, back to back, with little to no rest between each “set”:

-Hold the bag under your chin and squat, 5-10 reps.
-Bent over row, 5-10 reps.
-Sumo deadlift with bag between legs, 5-10 reps.
-Overhead press, 5-10 reps.
-2-arm swing straight overhead, 5-10 reps.
Shoot for 3 or 4 “sets” of 10, eventually. That should be a not-too-shabby morning workout/cardio alternative.

You’ve said you’re a “picky eater”. That’s not the most condusive to your goals, but, since ideal goals often have to twist and adjust to reality, what kinds of foods would you not eat, or, what foods do you think you’d have to force yourself to eat, and possibly not comply?

The first thing you should do is set a more reasonable goal for yourself. 60 pounds in 5 months isn’t realistic if you want to do it the right way and make it a permanent change. Maybe try to lose ~5 pounds a month, and try to increase your major lifts by about 10 pound a month.

[quote]nramaker wrote:
60 pounds in 5 months isn’t realistic if you want to do it the right way and make it a permanent change.[/quote]

That’s a point I forgot to address. 60 pounds in a 5-month period is really pushing it. I’d rather see you get into consistent strength training and develop an effective nutrition plan that you can stick with (I try to avoid using the word “diet”. Too many preconceived notions.) If you can do those two things, and do them dedicatedly, wherever you end up in August will be a whole heckuvalot stronger, leaner, and dead sexier than you are now. :wink:

Hey,

The workouts I posted above is what everyone in the class does but since Im not one of his “precious athletes” I doubt he would notice or care if I was doing something different as long as I was working out. But since Im not to sure what the following exercises are Im going to have to ask:

Standing Military Press
Assisted Pull-up or Front Pulldown Random Bicep Exercise
Barbell Row
Random Tricep Exercise
Lunge or Step-Up
Standing DB Military Press
Your Favorite 2 Ab moves here

Also Im thinking about either talking my parents into getting some weights so I can setup a home gym down stairs alhtough Im not sure how far that owuld go since we have a workout machine (which sucks) and a treadmill. although Im not sure how far that would go considering Im leaving for college summer of 2007. Or I was thinking about getting a gym membership for when summer started. But for now Ill just have to ignore them.

No Im not doing any cardio but I plan on starting next week. Again with the complex training Im going to have to ask what the follwing are:

-Bent over row (Whats this and where do I put the bag?)
-Sumo deadlift with bag between legs (Whats this?)

Well I would have to force myself to eat vegetables in general, lol. But since I really really want this I will make myself eat anything. But no matter what I cant put corn or oakra in my mouth I cant stand the taste I throw up everytime. But I willing to eat anything to get in shape except corn and oakra.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Alright your right I would ratehr look good for life and keep looking better than to just ruch myself to have it done by Aug.

[begin harshness]
I was going to write quite a bit, but frankly I don’t feel like wasting my time. My feeling is that when you decide it’s ‘too hard’ and not really worth it to eat healthier…then you wont. Then you will again…but then you wont.

There are no easy roads to reaching your goals. No magic pills. There is only the requirement for hard work, dedication, and desire.

You know what to eat and what not to eat. You dont HAVE to have it outlined for you to pick the apple over the poptart (sorry Tate). Try to eat numerous smaller meals thoughout the day. There are several diets available on the site.

If you truly “WILL DO ANYTHING” then Beradi (among other contributors here) will attend to your nutritional and physical needs and help you reach your goals. Perhaps shelling out some greenbacks will provide more motivation? I’m sure a PM to them will give you all the information you need.

I think this article may also be in order.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=533977

[/end harshness]

dude, coming from a different end of tyhe spectrum (the uber scrawny one) I’ll give you my 2 pence…

Eat veggies, does marvels for body comp

As weird as it may sound, at least from the eating plans you’ve done…it doesn’t look like you’rea eating enough, my nutrition is far from the best (I’m on the seefood diet)but seriously, just shove back the fruit and veg…

I’d hate to pull a Furey on you but at your weight, strength and fitness level, consider some basic bodyweight excercises. Squats, pressups and lunges will do you plenty of good…

I guess Ill go with the Diet Plan suggested by Minotaur which I posted again below, but I do have some questions:

1. What kind of shakes/bars could I use to make eating easier since Im in High School?

2. Also Im going to GNC tomarrow so if anyone has any supplements they would suggest, it would be great.

3. What can replace Tuna?

Well what do yall think (I have to keep everything the same time everyday.):

Sunday:
Breakfast - 1 bowl of Mini-wheats cereal with 1% milk, 1 glass of 1% milk to drink, 1 apple, orange, or banana.

Snack - 2 low-fat yogurts.

Lunch - Salad with tunafish, 1 diet soda.

Dinner - 2 pieces of chicken (not fried chicken), 1 small bowl of vegetables, 1 glass of water.

Monday:
7:00 Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of whole wheat toast, 1 glass of 1% milk.

9:00 Snack - 1 apple, orange, or banana.

11:10 Lunch - Roast beef sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato.

11:40 Pre Workout (What Do I Put)

12:40 Post Workout (What Do I Put)

2:30 Snack - 1 piece of beef jerky, 1 bottle of water.

5:00 Dinner - 2 hamburgers without the buns, with lettuce, tomato and maybe pickles and onions.

Tuesday:
Breakfast- 3 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of ham or bacon, 1 big glass of water.

Snack - 1 string cheese, 1 apple, orange, or banana.

Lunch - Tunafish on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato, 1 diet soda.

Dinner - 2 pieces of chicken (not fried chicken), a bowl of salad, 1 glass of water.

Wednesday:
Breakfast - 1 bowl of oatmeal, 1 glass of 1% milk, 1 scrambled egg.

Lunch - Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with tomato, 1 diet soda.

Dinner- Big salad with 1 can of tuna, 1 glass of water.

Thursday:
Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs with 1 piece of ham or bacon, 1 big glass of water.

Lunch - Peanut Butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, 1 glass of 1% milk.

Snack - 1 Hard boiled egg.

Dinner - 1 steak, 1 bowl of mixed vegetables, 1 glass of water.

Friday:

Lunch - Roast beef sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce and tomato, 1 diet soda.

Snack - 1 string cheese.

Dinner - 2 pieces of cooked fish (salmon, orange roughy, tilapia, any fish), 1 bowl of vegetables, 1 glass of water.

Saturday:
Breakfast - 1 bowl of oatmeal mixed with a handful of blueberries or strawberries, 1 scrambled egg, 1 glass of 1% milk.

Lunch - Tunafish sandwich on whole wheat with cheese, lettuce, and tomato, 1 diet soda.

Dinner - Big salad with turkey, ham, roast beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, carrots, any vegetables, 1 glass of water.