Wanted My Own Log

The squats are getting better and I really powered my way through the last set so I think I’ll be able to raise the weight another 5 lbs next time (maybe lol).

Anyway, do any of you guys have any suggestions to help with my dead lift issues? It seems that every time I have one thing or another causing me to stall out. I’m thinking about doing deads first tomorrow, but will that then cause my squats to suffer?

Where are you stalling out during the deadlift? If you can get a video up of you deadlifting we might be able to pinpoint the problem.

Or you may be just generally fatigued. But since your squat is so strong, I suspect that it’s a form problem. You’ve got long arms and a long back - you’d make a great sumo-style deadlifter.

A belated welcome from me.

Rippetoe SS is a great program, just finished a run of it myself. My one suggestion is to have a deload week after 4 weeks, don’t just keep going with it. I found that I was pretty fragged a the end of a month of that program. Nice to have you here.

Burnesy

K so I tried doing my deadlifts first and it seemed to help quite a bit. I really don’t feel it’s a form issue. I think I was just burning out from the squats. I ronically the deads didn’t burn out my squats today though.

I also discovered today how to correct my form mid-squat if I feel it starting to slack a little. It is to concentrate on my hams and glutes more. Seemed to instantly cause me to straighten right up.

Deadlifts

135x10
225x8
315x6
365x2 (not bad, but could be a little better)

Bench Press

95x10
135x8
185x6
210x5
210x5
215x5 (this was a surprise)

Squat

135x10
185x8
225x6
275x5
275x3 (started losing form)
275x5

And that’s it for today, overall I would say it was a pretty good workout.

Today plain and simply sucked. However I think this stemmed from yesterday though. Yesterday was my son’s first birthday and I ate so much crap I’m surprised I didn’t look like the blob this morning. Anyhow squats were strong but my legs were sore as hell during them.

Squats

135x10
185x8
225x6
275x5
275x5
280x3 (lower back was tight as hell)

Military Presses

65x10
85x8
105x6
120x3 (lower back started twitching)

At this point I called it a day and went home. I don’t want to take any chances with my lower back. I’ve had a pulled sciatic nerve before and I never want to experience that ever again. May hold off until Friday for my next workout we’ll see on Wednesday.

It’s official, lower back is sore. I did do some deadlifting today and took a video of my form. However I’ll be abstaining from exercises that directly affect my lower back until Monday. For Fridays workout I’ll do some upper body stuff. Like pull ups and curls and stuff. I’ll post the video soon.

I don’t know if age has much to play here or if it’s just cause I’m a wimp that basically just started lifting heavy recently. I’ve vowed not to completely take time off though, just lighten up or even just switch exercises when things like this happen.

New Bench PR today!!!

Well I’ve been taking it easy for the last few days. Still working out just taking it a little lighter. I’ve come to the conclusion that Starting Strength is called that for a reason, it’s meant for young bucks that’re STARTING weight lifting.

Squats 3 times a week just seems to be too hard on my body. So I went back to the drawing board so to say and redesigned a program that I feel would be better suited for myself. I’ve decided I’ll workout 4 days a week with slightly longer workouts.

This should help burn off some extra calories and keep the waistline from expanding (crossing fingers). Squating 2 times a week, deadlifting once and benching once as well. Anyhow on to the new PR.

Bench Press
95x10
135x8
185x8
225x2
155x1 New PR
165x1 2nd New PR

Cable Cross Overs
77x5
77x5
77x5

Incline DB Press
70x5 (too light)
75x5 (too light also)
80x5
80x2

Pendlay Rows
175x5
175x5
175x5

Military Press
115x2 (too heavy, I’m guessing because of the BP)
105x5
105x5
105x5

DB Shugs
100x5
100x5
100x5

[quote]youngguns35 wrote:
New Bench PR today!!!

Well I’ve been taking it easy for the last few days. Still working out just taking it a little lighter. I’ve come to the conclusion that Starting Strength is called that for a reason, it’s meant for young bucks that’re STARTING weight lifting.

Squats 3 times a week just seems to be too hard on my body. So I went back to the drawing board so to say and redesigned a program that I feel would be better suited for myself. I’ve decided I’ll workout 4 days a week with slightly longer workouts.

This should help burn off some extra calories and keep the waistline from expanding (crossing fingers). Squating 2 times a week, deadlifting once and benching once as well. Anyhow on to the new PR.

Bench Press
95x10
135x8
185x8
225x2
155x1 New PR
165x1 2nd New PR

[/quote]

Guessing your PR is actually 255lbs then 265lbs?
No matter congrats, well done.

Yep previous PR was 245

and thanks

Workout went pretty well today

squats
135x10
185x8
225x6
280x5
280x5
280x3 (was going to pass out lol)

Leg Press
360x5 (kind of low I know but first time in months)
360x5
360x5

Dips
body weightx10
25x8
35x6
45x5
45x5
45x5

Skull Crushers
90x5
90x5
90x5

Tricep Extensions
10x5 (I have no idea what the weight is, but it’s number 10 on the stack)
10x5
10x5

A belated welcome from a fellow Canuck… other side of the country.

Looking forward to watching your progress…

Thanks Bunny,

I have a question. Going to sound kind of newb but whatever. I can’t seem to do wide grip chins for some reason. The most I’ve ever done is 5 in a row.

I can squat 280 lbs for reps I can DL 365 lbs for reps, I can do 45 lb weighted dips but I can’t seem to do wide grip chins for some reason. Can some of you guys give me some hints to be able to strengthen up this exercise? My back seems pretty strong in any other exercise so I’m a little confused.

5 reps is cool. Do more sets of them. Or do weighted singles, doubles and triples and you’ll find your unweighted max reps going up quickly.

A lot of people can’t even do one pullup. 5 is great.

[quote]youngguns35 wrote:
Thanks Bunny,

I have a question. Going to sound kind of newb but whatever. I can’t seem to do wide grip chins for some reason. The most I’ve ever done is 5 in a row.

I can squat 280 lbs for reps I can DL 365 lbs for reps, I can do 45 lb weighted dips but I can’t seem to do wide grip chins for some reason. Can some of you guys give me some hints to be able to strengthen up this exercise? My back seems pretty strong in any other exercise so I’m a little confused.[/quote]

I now consider pullups my “humbling” exercise. I’ve found the only thing helps your wide grip pullups is pullups. None of my rowing or other back exercises seem to have carried over. I have found you can start making progress on them pretty quick, though.

Yep… what they (Skid and Hel) said.
And, strengthening your abs will also assist you in the increase of reps.

Seems I have a few days to make up for. Wednesday missed my workout due to some really bad time management. Thursday I went but the kid kept me up pretty much all night both Tuesday and Wednesday nights so the workout on Thursday sucked balls. I waited until Sunday to workout again and had a pretty good workout.

Bench
95X10, 135X8, 185X6
220X4, 220X3, 220X3 (no spotter so didn’t attempt more reps)
155X4, 155X4, 155X4 (speed reps)

Cable X-Overs
82x5, 82x5, 82x5

Incline DB Press
80X2 (was too heavy), 75x5, 75x4

Pendlay Rows
175x5, 175x5, 175x5

Military Presses
105x5, 105x5, 105x5

DB Shrugs
110X5, 110X5, 110X3 (dropped one of the dumbells, scared the shit outta myself but all toes are still intact phew)

Monday attempted a new squat PR, didn’t happen and thank the lord for safety pins.

Squat
135X10, 185X8, 225X5
275X3, 315X1, 335-FAILED

Leg Press
410x5, 410x5, 410x5

Dips
BWx10, 25x8, 35x6
45x5, 45x5, 45x5

Skull Crushers
90x5, 90x5, 90x5

Tricep Extensions
10x5, 10x5, 11x5

Those pins do come in handy some times. You’ll get 335 next time.

Way to push the PR limit! I don’t mind failing on ME days if I know I gave a good effort and it just wasn’t in me. Better than not trying at all!

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I’ve cut back on calories recently and I figure that has a bit to do with it as well. Debating whether to try a new DL PR next week or not. I’ll just go by feel. 365 has been feeling pretty heavy lately so 425 might not happen but damn it’d be nice though.