T Nation

Wanted: Lift Critiques

It should be right side up in a little time.

And more to come.

Shooting the hips almost too far back. You don’t just break at the hips and go down, you’re breaking and almost putting yourself into a good morning from the start. It looks as though you’re putting your self into pelvic tilt right from the go and instead of having a neutral lumbar/sacroiliac region you’re putting them straight into lordosis. I used to squat like this in attempts to “sit back further” and I blame my herniated disc on it. I’d try and focus on bringing your tailbone slightly more under you keeping your hips more neutral while keeping your torso more upright. Other than that get some stronger abs.

Is lordosis the same as overarching in that context?

edit: I understand now.

I have no constructive advice, I just wanted to say that the sound you made makes me want to cry.

[quote]frankjl wrote:
I have no constructive advice, I just wanted to say that the sound you made makes me want to cry.[/quote]

Lol, I dunno why but that’s just what happened. I think too much Spike and having the belt maybe a notch too tight.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Shooting the hips almost too far back. You don’t just break at the hips and go down, you’re breaking and almost putting yourself into a good morning from the start. It looks as though you’re putting your self into pelvic tilt right from the go and instead of having a neutral lumbar/sacroiliac region you’re putting them straight into lordosis. I used to squat like this in attempts to “sit back further” and I blame my herniated disc on it. I’d try and focus on bringing your tailbone slightly more under you keeping your hips more neutral while keeping your torso more upright. Other than that get some stronger abs.[/quote]

Watching this video I see I squat the exact same way. How would you keep your hips more nuetral and torso upright?

Practice hip hinging. My big issue when I realized I was squatting like that was that I wasn’t hinging my hips properly. I’d hinge them out and back instead of out and down (like in the video). I did lots and lots of goblet squats and I moved my stance slightly in for now to something a bit more moderate.

To stay more upright force those knees out even further. It truly is something that took a good bit of time to regroove but my squat has started moving again and I can squat relatively pain free - post herniated disc for the first time in awhile. Over time I’ll start moving my stance back out a bit but for now it stays in and I continue to regroove my squat.

I was thinking a really hard abdominal contraction statically held pulling the front of my pelvis up while squatting. Also, lots of stretching of the hip flexors and lots more ab work. Front squats at home to regroove per LM’s suggestion.

Any other suggestions?

Front squats are good but goblet are better at regrooving I’ve found. You don’t need a lot of weight to regroove, you need lots and lots of reps. When I was doing it I just grabbed a 20 lb dumbbell and did about 100 reps every night for a few months.

Yes hip flexor work, definitely more ab work and probably some more upper back work. 100 rep sets of facepulls did wonders for me (do 100 reps in as few sets as possible, 30 seconds rest) for all three lifts.

[quote]frankjl wrote:
I have no constructive advice, I just wanted to say that the sound you made makes me want to cry.[/quote]

I’d say he kinda sounded like a camel

[quote]critietaeta wrote:

[quote]frankjl wrote:

I’d say he kinda sounded like a camel[/quote]

Darn, and I was going for T-rex or King Kong.