T Nation

Want to Work Out... Again

Hello people… I havent been on here in a while…

So… I’m a skinny tiny dude who at the age of 21 weighs around 120 pounds
I have the fastest metabolism in the world.

I once gained 15 pounds one summer by eating and working out. But I lost it instantly when I stopped. (i had to stop… i had stomach issues and couldnt eat as much…)

So I want to work out again. I am in Cuny college and I only have time for 2 days a week. (every teacher thinks there the only teacher I have and the workload is retarded)

So what should I do?
I have done Bill star 5x5. its ok but gets boring… I first started with the book “scrawny to brawny” and used the phases…

I guess Im looking for some miracle workout that probably doesnt exist… either any reply would be cool

With 2 days a week there will be little progress. Check out the Beginners section and get your diet in order first.

And, don’t use the ‘fast metabolism’ or ‘hard-gainer’ excuse. You are likely not eating as much as you think and/or are making poor bodybuilding choices. Track your food intake for 2 weeks to get a baseline. If you don’t do this first, the training program is irrelevant.

2 days a week is better than nothing…

I could work out monday and wednesday easily.

maybe thrusday… but thats 2 days in a row…

I have work out how much I should be eating and its around 3000 cals

[quote]shamguy4 wrote:
2 days a week is better than nothing…

I could work out monday and wednesday easily.

maybe thrusday… but thats 2 days in a row…[/quote]

True, it is better than nothing and you will have to bust your fuckin ass on those 2 days. But, diet will be a bigger determinant of progress.

Well when i used to work out i tried eating 3000 cals a day… thats how i gained the weight…
but now my stomach is smaller…its shrunk! im gonna need a few days to build it up again.

its hard cause i live in an apt where i can work on my eating, but on weekends i usually go home where there is no food and my parents are on diets trying to lose weight.
its not a good combonation

[quote]shamguy4 wrote:
Well when i used to work out i tried eating 3000 cals a day… thats how i gained the weight…
but now my stomach is smaller…its shrunk! im gonna need a few days to build it up again.

its hard cause i live in an apt where i can work on my eating, but on weekends i usually go home where there is no food and my parents are on diets trying to lose weight.
its not a good combonation[/quote]

Sneak out when they are weighing their food and eat cheeseburgers. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I agree with giterdone. Most guys who say they are hardgainers aren’t eating enough, to begin with. You also have to see what it is that you are eating. 2 days a week is enough, provided you don’t BS and hit it hard when you go.

i technically might be able to work out at a diffewrent gym (not my colleges) but that would have to be late at night. and i would have to walk back to my apt late and night… almost got mugged once but hey… maybe i will.

so should i repost the top post in begginers section?

[quote]shamguy4 wrote:
i technically might be able to work out at a diffewrent gym (not my colleges) but that would have to be late at night. and i would have to walk back to my apt late and night… almost got mugged once but hey… maybe i will.

so should i repost the top post in begginers section?[/quote]

I wouldn’t repost in Beginners. If you have the basic lifts sorted out due to your exposure to 5x5 then really the two main issues are how to structure a 2 day a week plan (but, be honest with yourself…could you go 3 or 4 days if it would mean reaching your goals?) and how to get your food intake sorted out.

Those questions can be answered here. You will need to bring the intensity and dedication.

Eat a box of instant mashed potatoes every day. With gravy. And stuffing. It will be like Thanksgiving every day. You will gain weight.

Focus on your stomach issues. Post your diet. Thanks.

Get a cheap bike and ride that back an forth to the gym.

Don’t call yourself a hardgainer around here, people hate that. I was in your shoes about 3 years ago. I weighed 120 and I was skinny as hell. One could easily count all my ribs. I started lifting and eating a whole bunch of food. When I actualy kept track of calories it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 calories per day give or take a couple hundred calories. I weigh 175 now and I’m on my way to 180. all that to say that it can be done.

2 days a week is certainly not optimal. I would try for 4 days a week and no less than 3 days a week. I gained most of my weight when I was lifting 4 days a week. I went down to 2 days for a while and didn’t progress at all. I am at 3 days a week now and I’m progressing pretty well. I’d like to lift 4 days a week but since I’m still making progress at 3 I’ll use the extra time to spend with my family.

You gained 15 lbs in one summer so it can be done. Just stay consistent with it. It takes time to put on a lot of muscle.

If you want to hit the gym more you can. 3-4 days a week is possible in college. Party less, workout more. Chemical engineering is a pretty tough, time consuming degree program yet I found the time in college. It definitely helps if you have a training partner.

So because of your homework, you cannot find an extra hour or two per week to workout more days?

ok Sunday im not always at college. and they close early.
Mnday i have 1 class and of course that would be one of my days to work out.

tues i have 3 classes spread out over the day (pne is even at 8 at night) plus if I work out monday i need a break.
wednesday - one class great day to work out.
thursday - same as tuesday - full day and cant work out.

friday would be great except i have a lot of things to do and i usually go home that day for the weekend.

i need 2 hours to work out. I drink whey protein first. then workout. drink again. then shower. it usually takes an hour and a half to 2 hours

You have your classes spread out and you workout on campus. Drink your preworkout shake in one class, run to gym, work out for an hour (its fine if you don’t get to do your curls at the end) then take a 30 second shower IF there’s a hot girl in next class, then drink your next shake in class. Dont let things like homework and hygiene get in the way of your goals. 3 days a week full body focusing on the big lifts is enough for any 120 lbs guy to gain weight.

Just don’t feel overwhelmed by having a crowded day. If necessary write it down first so that you can see there is enough time in your day for this. You didn’t even mention a job. School and 2 jobs and a social life still leaves time for the gym. Just school leaves you time to workout AND take up stamp collecting AND a meth addiction if you so choose(neither of those are reccommmended)

And don’t be scared to workout 2 days in a row, just work out opposing muscle groups if you have to do this…

alright…its not gonna be easy…
so what workout program should I use if I could get 3 days in?
bill star 5x5?
anything else cause I have had my share of that one…
I also used the book scrawny to brawny…thats actually when I first starte out and gained 15 pounds…and then lost it…

Don’t bother. You are just going to give up again a month or two from now.

er… your quick to judge…
thanks

Sample Program:
Monday- full body, shamelessly stolen from Rippetoes
Squats: 3x5
Bench Press: 3x5
Deadlift: 1x5
Pendlay Rows: 3x5 (yeah, I know it’s not in the original program, I like them).

Wednesday- Upper body
Bench Press: 4x5
Pendlay Rows: 4x5
Military Press: 4x5
Pullups/pulldowns: 4x5

Thursday- Lower Body
Squat: 3x5
Powercleans: 5x3
Romanian Deadlifts: 3x5
Standing Calf Raises: 2x10

Explanation: Monday should be self-explanatory. I like Rippetoes. Wednesday and Thursday both include big exercises. The reason there is less volume on Thursday is because the exercises are bigger, you move more weight, and they (theoretically) take more out of you. Also, I just like calf-training in the 10’s range. I never feel it when I go lower reps. The volume won’t be perfect, but it wont be too much or too little. It hits most of your body.

Post Workout Supplementation: Get 3k kcal, and 200g protein in each day. See it as part of your workout.

There. I’m with Popular, in that you probably will just quit in a couple of months, but on the off chance that you mean it this time, above is not the best program, but it is simple, and it will work.