Want to Start Lifting 5-6 Days a Week

Hey everyone, I’ve been lifting regularly again for the past 2 months while putting my kickboxing training on the backburner. Currently I’m doing doing bill starr’s 5x5 and getting pretty good results.

Right now I’m on week 4, but even though it’s going to be quite a while before I start to think of switching up, I’m just wondering if you guys know of any strength plan that’s geared towards lifting 5-6 days a week, I’ve been looking for it on this website but most programs are only 3 days in length, and I don’t really want to lift 3 days a week only.

[quote]NeedforStrength wrote:
Hey everyone, I’ve been lifting regularly again for the past 2 months while putting my kickboxing training on the backburner. Currently I’m doing doing bill starr’s 5x5 and getting pretty good results.

Right now I’m on week 4, but even though it’s going to be quite a while before I start to think of switching up, I’m just wondering if you guys know of any strength plan that’s geared towards lifting 5-6 days a week, I’ve been looking for it on this website but most programs are only 3 days in length, and I don’t really want to lift 3 days a week only.[/quote]

There are some higher frequency programs here on this site that involve 5-6 days a week in the gym. Waterbury has some really high frequency programs, Poliquin has one that I can think of, heck any shelf muscle mag will likely have numerous 5-6 day programs (keep in mind though that the three sources that I listed above have different philosophies and program methodologies). Those are all advanced level programs though.

The question you need to ask yourself is; why do you want to lift 5-6 days a week? What do you think that lifting 5-6 days a week is going to do for you that lifting 3 times per week won’t?

reason I want something more in frequency is mainly because I’m starting to love lifting again. I forgot how much fun it is since I stopped back in January and took up kickboxing.

Plus another reason is I feel like I’m not doing much with just three lifting sessions, I can’t help but think I can make even faster progress (increasing weight poundages by 10% rather then 2.5%) if I train more. My squat is still pretty horrible and I want to get it higher more quickly.

Well from a strength standpoint, the CNS will be your major concern. The problem with the CNS is that for most people it takes longer than muscles to recover. A high frequency plan makes it likely that the CNS won’t get enough recovery.

Most routines are 3 days a week because that is most effective for beginners. A 4 day split with each body part done twice a week is better for more experienced lifters if they can generate the intensity but progress will be slower if you’re not at that point. If your squat is still horrible, do it 3 times a week because you need the frequency. Spend a couple of your off days on your sport. You will make better gains that way.