T Nation

Want to Lift Another Day

Hey T NATION. As the title states i would like to lift another day. Right now i lift 4 days a week here is my split

Press day

Press

lat raises

shrugs

curls

Deadlift day

deadlift

chin up

pulldown

bb row

Bench day

Bench

db bench

dips

pushdown

Squat day

Box squat

Bulgarian split squat

leg curl

leg press

I lift to become better at my sport. I run hills 1-3 times a week as the season gets closer. Would you guys recommend another day for something because honestly i love going to the gym. Maybe a posterior chain only day, idk.

thanks

Don’t want to bump this but i have another question. PWO i am having a frozen pizza and 3 scoops whey. About 2 hours later my stool has been soft for a few days in a row. Does this mean i am not digesting the food properly? anything i can do to stop it?

Dont add a day for the sake of adding a day. I would say anything more than 4 days a week is too much. and why the hell are you having a frozen pizza post workout?

thanks for the quick reply. I am having the pizza PWO because its an easy 1500 cals with the whey. Any reason not to? i keep my carbs relatively low the rest of the day.

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:
Dont add a day for the sake of adding a day. I would say anything more than 4 days a week is too much. and why the hell are you having a frozen pizza post workout?[/quote]

STB, myself, and spartee, and other strong lifters here must be doing it oh so wrong then by lifting more than 4 days a week.

OP: Have a reason for the things you do. If you don’t have a reason to add something in your training, don’t.

Regarding frozen pizza: I often use it as a meal after my PWO shake (usually just protein+gatorade powder). Sure you can go that route, and it’s an easy way to get more calories in if you need it.

I’d look into other options like more whey, casein, greek yogurt, or milk for more protein. More milk, bananas, waxy maize, strawberries, yogurt (greek or normal) and/or dextrose for carbs.

If you want to be in the gym more but you’re happy with your split you could just do the split in six days instead of seven, ie Press Day, Deadlift day, off, Bench day, squat day, off, repeat

PS Probably not a good idea to do deadlifts the day after you do curls. Increases chance of bicep tear.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Hey T NATION. As the title states i would like to lift another day. Right now i lift 4 days a week here is my split

Press day

Press

lat raises

shrugs

curls

Deadlift day

deadlift

chin up

pulldown

bb row

Bench day

Bench

db bench

dips

pushdown

Squat day

Box squat

Bulgarian split squat

leg curl

leg press

I lift to become better at my sport. I run hills 1-3 times a week as the season gets closer. Would you guys recommend another day for something because honestly i love going to the gym. Maybe a posterior chain only day, idk.

thanks[/quote]

You need to stop trying to change your routine all the time. You have made several threads about changing your routine, even though you’re making progress. Just stick with the program, it’s working.

I wouldn’t eat a frozen pizza PWO (probably at all).

LM- appreciate the response. I do like frozen pizza as a cheap way of calories because money can be tight. I don’t really have a reason to lift another day besides that i enjoy being in the gym

fletch- ill look into those shakes and compare the calories. your shake looks a lot more nutritional then frozen pizza lol.

Gmoore- never really thought of a 6 day split but i feel it would be to much recovery wise for an athlete. Ill watch out for any bicep problem. Poor programing on my part

chris87- Ik i should be doing 5/3/1. I don’t find it fun and i feel being a beginner i can progress faster on this. I had success with WS4SB but i left out deadlifting and presses which are my favorite lifts. If you see anything wrong with this program and running hills 1-3 times a week for an athlete please tell me.

Looking to replace frozen pizza with better foods but its tough to beat. No fat gain and my lifts are progressing. I also gets me close to 4000 calories without a problem. Just hope im digesting it okay. Thanks for the responses, keep um coming.

Put PWO shake or something along those lines into the search bar and you’ll see lots of different options and combinations. Also, I forgot about peanut butter and olive oil.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:

Gmoore- never really thought of a 6 day split but i feel it would be to much recovery wise for an athlete. Ill watch out for any bicep problem. Poor programing on my part

[/quote]

lol you asked about adding another day in the gym? Training 4 out of every 6 days is actually training less often than if you were to add another day and train 5 times/week.

You asked me why a Pizza after a workout is bad. Well its a crap ton of calories that have nearly no nutritional value. If you are seeking weight gain, you want QUALITY mass. Dont eat as much at once. Space out your meals, and instead of slamming a pizza daily, have a protein shake in the morning, post workout, and at night. Almost anything is better than pizza really. Eat a sub from subway everyday or somethin that has a variety of nutrients along with meat.

And LiquidMercury, he said he was lifting to become better at a sport and said he is training outside of the weightroom. Given that circumstance, it would not be wise at all to go 5 days a week. I tried doing that while training everyday on the track, and trust me. If you have a sport that you train hard for you are not going to recover enough if you slam the weightroom that often. 4 Times a week is plenty

Btw OP, out of curiosity what is your weight and why are you so eager to gain weight? 90% of the time people do some ridiculously dumb things to “bulk”. Just look at Rippetoe’s disciples drinking a gallon of milk a day lmao.

My program is four days a week with basic compound exercises. If I feel like training a fifth day, I just do some easy, low volume arm work. I don’t think I “need” it per se, but it’s just fun to do it.

And hell, if you’re truly a powerlifter, then go ahead and eat that pizza! I do that all the time. Who gives a crap, right? lol

You asked me why a Pizza after a workout is bad. Well its a crap ton of calories that have nearly no nutritional value. If you are seeking weight gain, you want QUALITY mass. Dont eat as much at once. Space out your meals, and instead of slamming a pizza daily, have a protein shake in the morning, post workout, and at night. Almost anything is better than pizza really. Eat a sub from subway everyday or somethin that has a variety of nutrients along with meat.

And LiquidMercury, he said he was lifting to become better at a sport and said he is training outside of the weightroom. Given that circumstance, it would not be wise at all to go 5 days a week. I tried doing that while training everyday on the track, and trust me. If you have a sport that you train hard for you are not going to recover enough if you slam the weightroom that often. 4 Times a week is plenty

Btw OP, out of curiosity what is your weight and why are you so eager to gain weight? 90% of the time people do some ridiculously dumb things to “bulk”. Just look at Rippetoe’s disciples drinking a gallon of milk a day lmao. [/quote]

Regarding the pizza - you really should take a look at carb back loading and all the science behind it that generally goes against what most traditional people would say with nutrition. Many here have done it and had amazing success with it - though I would recommend buying the book if you intend on running it.

As far as the training in the weight room goes and athletics - I’m well aware of what he is training for (OP asks for advice on other boards I participate on) and that being said in the off-season of most athletics, additional training can be quite beneficial. Now does it have to be a traditional lifting type day? Not particularly. During the off-season many of my rowers are training 5 times a week in the gym, as many as 10 training sessions a week in the gym - though of course not all of it specifically lifting related. The off-season for most athletes needs to be about increasing maximal strength as much as possible due to the increased recovery pool now available from the decreased intensity of the sport itself comparatively to the in-season period. If that means training a bit more then so be it.

Just because something didn’t work in your training - and you are pretty young in your training and still probably learning how to actually control the variables and isolate them to determine why something worked or didn’t - doesn’t mean it is a failed idea or even unfounded in logic.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
STB, myself, and spartee, and other strong lifters here must be doing it oh so wrong then by lifting more than 4 days a week.
[/quote]
Why does everyone forget the “4” lolz? Still <3 you brah.

Im actually not really concerned with muscle. Looking more to improve my strength and speed. I can see where you are coming from with your opinion. Most days i will try to get something better then pizza PWO. Thank you

Now onto a discussion what is the difference in your opinion between 90 g’s protein and 200 g’s carbs commonly found in pizza compared to a subway with these macros? I don’t understand. The bread and whatever from a sub is not a complex carb same with the dough from a frozen pizza. The ham, salami, or whatever from a sub is superior to the pepperoni on a pizza? I don’t understand your thought here. Being completely serious. i mean if you eat a pizza PWO and limit your carbs to that and breakfast whats the big deal?

Btw OP, out of curiosity what is your weight and why are you so eager to gain weight? 90% of the time people do some ridiculously dumb things to “bulk”. Just look at Rippetoe’s disciples drinking a gallon of milk a day lmao. [/quote]

Just because something didn’t work in your training - and you are pretty young in your training and still probably learning how to actually control the variables and isolate them to determine why something worked or didn’t - doesn’t mean it is a failed idea or even unfounded in logic. And you have a very big wiener ontop of the impressive lifts jc tree trunks [/quote]

How is training no more than 4 days a week unfounded logically? 5/3/1 and Westside usually call for 4 days a week of training. Very rare is it to find a strength focused program that goes 5 days a week and its even more rare to find a sport training program with that.

I beleive we are disagreeing on semantics here, I consider “workouts” here in this split to be a traditional weightlifting workout. I am not counting sport specific workouts. I am going off of what to do ontop of your regular sport specific training. It is completely logical and sound as I have never ever seen a track/football/basketball training program that calls for 5 or more days a week of training. That is better for bodybuilding splits and maybe olympic lifting if you are going the bulgarian method.

and thanks man I dont even know what yo say about the compliment at the end, its kinda weird tho but i appreciate it i guess

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Im actually not really concerned with muscle. Looking more to improve my strength and speed. I can see where you are coming from with your opinion. Most days i will try to get something better then pizza PWO. Thank you

Now onto a discussion what is the difference in your opinion between 90 g’s protein and 200 g’s carbs commonly found in pizza compared to a subway with these macros? I don’t understand. The bread and whatever from a sub is not a complex carb same with the dough from a frozen pizza. The ham, salami, or whatever from a sub is superior to the pepperoni on a pizza? I don’t understand your thought here. Being completely serious. i mean if you eat a pizza PWO and limit your carbs to that and breakfast whats the big deal?[/quote]

Well if you get a sub at subway it varies greatly on what you get. If you get a chicken teryaki on wheat bread it will be soooo much healthier. Because you will get complex carbs, lean protein, and if you get veggies on it you will get so much more nutrition

The main difference though, even if you get a less healthy sub, is that you need to look at more than carbs and protein. If you just stuff a pizza in for the sake of filling calories, you are going to be missing out on alot of nutrients and vitamins. bodybuilding is not about performance so they sometimes tend to overlook something as basic as getting your vitamins. Thats one of the reasons why a bodybuilder might be completely out of shape even though they are cut, for another sport. Your body needs a healthy balance to perform as an athlete. Its not like eating a pizza every now and then is terrible, but it is a really bad habit to do it that often to be honest. You could get jacked still doing it, but it really is throwing an obstacle in your way. Like I said I really would suggest spacing out meals that offer more variety. Do that and train hard and you will be seeing gains nonstop

Just because something didn’t work in your training - and you are pretty young in your training and still probably learning how to actually control the variables and isolate them to determine why something worked or didn’t - doesn’t mean it is a failed idea or even unfounded in logic. And you have a very big wiener ontop of the impressive lifts jc tree trunks [/quote]

How is training no more than 4 days a week unfounded logically? 5/3/1 and Westside usually call for 4 days a week of training. Very rare is it to find a strength focused program that goes 5 days a week and its even more rare to find a sport training program with that.

I beleive we are disagreeing on semantics here, I consider “workouts” here in this split to be a traditional weightlifting workout. I am not counting sport specific workouts. I am going off of what to do ontop of your regular sport specific training. It is completely logical and sound as I have never ever seen a track/football/basketball training program that calls for 5 or more days a week of training. That is better for bodybuilding splits and maybe olympic lifting if you are going the bulgarian method.

and thanks man I dont even know what yo say about the compliment at the end, its kinda weird tho but i appreciate it i guess
[/quote]

lol westside usually calls for 4? have you read “book of methods”? Louie constantly says 10 - 14x a week. Rob Adell trained 17x a week (that includes football, olympic lifting). the body will adapt to whatever load you place upon it. You look at slaves, slaves went from not working hard as fuck 18hrs a day to working hard as fuck 18hrs a day, everday on poor nutrition, through injuries etc. Some died, some adapted and became stronger humans.

OP if you add in another day of training you will either:

1. die (NOT SRS)
  2. adapt and live the rest of your life strong(er). (AM SRS)

PS dont mean to come across as an arsehole but its just ridiculous saying that another day of training is a bad idea. BTW OP keep eating dat pizza, you lucky fuck. I wish i could spare coin for frozen pizza god damn.

Just because something didn’t work in your training - and you are pretty young in your training and still probably learning how to actually control the variables and isolate them to determine why something worked or didn’t - doesn’t mean it is a failed idea or even unfounded in logic. [/quote]

[/quote]

As was previously mentioned, Westside is significantly more than 4 times a week, and most of the top lifters in the world also lift significantly more than 4 times a week. Many of the top athletes in the world in the off-season are also getting more than 4 times a week quite often.

Speed work, agility work, reaction time work, are all things I would consider “training sessions” for most major sports that are more often than the 4x per week training sessions. Recovery workouts as well.

JC - you tend to give a lot of advice that is pretty unfounded. You’re 20, you haven’t been at this long - sometimes it’s best to realize that and simply learn and listen. I was quite similar in my early years where I thought I knew everything and very dogmatic in my way of thinking - that my way was right because I had read so much. Then I realized I was a moron and didn’t know half as much as I thought I did and added 300 lbs to my to my total.