Want to Get Started Working Out Again

I used to work out a lot and was in pretty good shape. However, it’s been about 10 years since I’ve worked out. In that time, I’ve torn an achilles playing soccer and had some heart issues taken care of. I’m not looking to go all body builder, but I’d like to begin working out again for endurance and tone. I was hoping to get some advice in regards to the best approach to start again, as it has been a long time and I know it’d be bad just to hop back into it.

Absent a clear goal, it’s very hard to advise you on what you should do.

I had to start again from absolute zero a bit over a year ago and its tough, especially if you remember how you used to do things. You’re not that person anymore, so treat it as a fresh start and remember to introduce any new things slowly.

1 Like

And just to clarify, I think you should get a clear goal, or the odds of you sticking with this for.more than a few weeks are slim.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. Well, I have dropped 50 Ibs. simply through dieting over the last several months. I would like to do another 40 through working out and eating. In doing so, I would like to lower my body fat percentage and increase my overall strength, specifically my core. Is that too broad of a goal?

Nope. Sounds good to me. Only thing I’d add is why? What’s the driving force?

And congratulations, 50lbs isn’t a small amount to lose.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, do you have any suggestions as to the best methods for coming up with a workout?

Are you training at home, or somewhere with limited equipment? Or going to a decked out gym with all sorts of bars and machines?

1 Like

Yes.

1. Start with the goal, what do you want to do?
  2. Figure out your resources. What time and effort can you afford to commit to your goals? Consider recovery as much as gym time.
  3. Lastly, figure out your tools. What types of training do you enjoy? What types of training will you reliably be able and willing to do?

You’ll notice I’m being deliberately very vague, the reason being I don’t have enough information to be more specific and your goals can be hit in a million different ways. The most effective approach will be the one you do most consistently be that kettlebells, calisthenics or barbells.

1 Like

I honestly do my best when I just pick something someone else wrote. As @dagill2 said, it should both address my goals and be something that looks sustainable (be that based on equipment, time, entertainment, whatever). That still leaves a long list of programs right on this site. I just pick something, don’t think about it, and knock it out for 12+ weeks.

1 Like

Thanks all. The input helps! I will look around for a plan.

1 Like

Here’s a good 3 day, full body scheme.

An article about the Push/Pull/Legs split that gives guidelines for 3-6 workouts per week.

Horizontal / vertical / legs / arms 4 day split.

2 Likes

I’m sure all the above are good, but as a counterpoint, consider something like simple and sinister or other kettlebell training some consideration. To my mind, it will do the job just as effectively as traditional weight training for your goals and is many times cheaper and less time intensive.

Or get good at loaded carries.
Or take up climbing
Or…the possibilities are endless. For your goals, traditional gym sessions are far from necessary.

1 Like

Yeah three days a week like a Waterbury template prob a good start.
generally speaking just run through templates off the Tnation part of the site and can get in great shape. This a good way to structure…

https://www.t-nation.com/training/yearly-strength-plan