Want to Compete Next Year, Practice Prep?

I gain weight rapidly when I eat 2000 cals

I will try and slowly increase my Cals would it be safe to Up it 100cals every 2-3 weeks?

Then eat 1800.

Ok, but if there’s a marked increase of protein synthesis throughout the week and he has had adequate time to recover, then what’s the problem? He does the heavy work and then a load of lighter pump work for each session.

Marked increase in protein synthesis due to what? None of the literature supports what you recommended.

Adequate time to recover? You have him taking each body part to complete failure 4x a week.

and what heavy work? He is warming up with high reps and doing work sets in the 12-25 rep range.

I think too many people get caught up in the premise that the more frequent moments of starting MPS the better, all else being disregarded in the approach.

If you look at the studies that Schoenfeld and other researchers always cite, you’ll note that they all suggest that a cell’s potential for protein synthesis remains heightened well beyond the old-issue-of-muscle-and-fitness-dogma of 48 hours. Couple that with the data about multiple exercises per muscle group in a single session creating more metabolic stress (and thus enhance anabolism), as well as the support for fast twitch fibers naturally displaying a greater extent to which they can synthesize new tissue, and it all makes sense why the majority of the top competitors don’t train in the way you outlined.

And it has nothing to do with recovery. High reps don’t necessarily require more rest, although I will note that during my own competitive days, I made the best progress when I learned to avoid failure, but still ensure that I addressed Tension, Metabolic Stress, and Muscle Damage in my plan.

S

4 Likes

I’m done with it. If the op wants to follow my program he can. If not ok then. Take care armchair. If he would like further assurance he can message me.

Not sure if I’m being grouped in with @vulpes, but calling someone an “armchair” (expert as the saying goes), without knowing anything about them doesn’t exactly add any support to your position or credibility to yourself.

Just for my own curiosity, I checked all of Vulpes’ other posts on here and he seems to always be concerned with actual variables, details and data. In this thread, he referenced the overwhelming research being in agreement about an issue… kind of hard to dismiss someone based just on that (and of course, without a photo, you can’t accurately dismiss physique either).

And if indeed I was included, I don’t think there are too many folks that would dismiss my own background (achievements and credentials) as “armchair” either, but hey, who am I to speak for anyone else.

Plenty of different opinions on here, but as two of my favorite sayings go; science is Gonna science, and success leaves clues. :slight_smile:

S

2 Likes

I’m starting to wonder how accurately you count calories or what you consider rapid weight gain, and I mean this with good intention.

2 Likes