T Nation

Want to Compete Next Year, Practice Prep?

bodybuilding

Hey everyone i’m 5’6 & 180lbs ive gotten as low at 170lbs 15%BF but my weight loss came to a screeching halt. i tried nearly everything nutrition wise even cutting down to 1500 cals & basically self-destructed my practice prep, I am trying again cause i really want to compete next year but want to know what it takes mentally and physically first. Right now i’m currently eating 1600 Cals 179 Protein/140 Carbs/35 Fat my macros are 45%P/35%C/20%F. Can anyone help me out or give me any tips. I will be posting some pics

Your calories are entirely too low. If you start out with too little of a caloric intake, you wont have anything to drop and you’re going to suffer from too much muscle loss.
Show me a week of your training, diet and front side and back photos. This will help me to make better suggestions. Many of my clients have taken a 6 months to a year to get into contest condition because the asshole trainer before them made the mistake dropping calories to stupid lows.

I find when I eat 2000Cals tend to gain weight fast so Thats why I eat 1700 but I’ll take and advice I can get .At the moment I train full body I’ll take a pic of my work outs and post them as well as my photos.

Sry forgot to post about my diet.
Meal#1 protein 1 scoop
Meal#2 protein pancakes
(Oats40gs-egg whites120gs-protein1scoop-medium banana)
Meal#3 6ozchicken,150Yam,5-6oz broccoli
Meal#4 protein scoop
Meal#5 5oz broccoli,chicken or lean beef enough to fit rest of macros

Yeah even 2000 cals too low. Move on to some kind of split either of these works great…

I really like those programs I’ll deffenitly give one of them a shot I do really like the heavydays/light days upper lower split never tried that and seems the best of both worlds. But as for calories what should I start at I’m 180 right now and I used to be 220lbs I’m scared that if I increase my Cals to much I’ll gain all that fat again and I definitely don’t want that to happen again I wouldn’t mind going from 180 to 165lbs

I wouldnt do that much work inside of one session. You can still hit the body 5 times a week, but with different training parameters. You could use daily undulating periodization. Go from one end of the rep spectrum to the other within the same week. I can offer a program that I give clients who want to build size.

That would be sick bro and much appreciate I need something from someone that knows what there talking about get my motivation back will this also help me shred up?

Enjoy

Day 1
Front Squat 2-3 warmups-10,8, 6/ 2 work sets of 15-20 reps. Yep, these suck…
Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
SHELC 2 sets of as many reps as possible. Try to beat last weeks numbers
Seated Cable Rows 2 warmups-10, 8 / 2 work sets of 12. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Band-assisted pullups or inverted rows 2 sets as many reps as possible.
Dumbbell Flyes 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.
Cable Upright Row 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.
Close Grip Cable Curl 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.
Overhead Tricep Extension 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.

Day 2
Guillotine Press 2-3 warmups-12, 10, 8 / 2 work sets. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Incline Dumbbell Press 2 warmups-8,6 / 2 work sets. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Curl of choice 2 warmups-10,8, / 2 work sets. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Skull Crusher 2 warmups-10,8, / 2 work sets. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Skull Crusher
Leg Extensions 3 sets of 25 with 1 minute rest
Leg Curl 3 sets of 25 with 1 minute rest
Leg Raise 4 sets as many reps as possible-beat the preceding weeks best.
Rope crunch 3 sets of 12

Day 4
Squat 3 warmups-10,8, 6 / 2 work sets of 15-20 reps. Yep, these suck…
Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Hex Bar Deadlift heels on small block 1 warmup/ 2 work sets of 10. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Bent Over Barbell Rows 2 warmups-10, 8 / 2 work sets of 12. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Band-assisted pullups or inverted rows 2 sets as many reps as possible.
Machine Flyes 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.
3 Way Dumbbell Shoulder Complex 3 sets of 10- done as a circuit; front laterals/side laterals/rear laterals. I CANNOT say this enough-use LIGHT weights.
Seated Incline Curl 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.
Overhead Tricep Extension 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.

Day 5
Dips 3 warmups-12, 10, 8 / 2 work sets. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Barbell Push Press 2 warmups-12, 10 / 2 work sets. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible. Stop at the base of the skull.
Curl of choice 2 warmups-10,8, / 2 work sets. Final set, take to failure. Rest the bar for 15 deep breaths. Do as many reps as possible. Rack it. Breathe 15 times again. Do as many final sets as possible.
Bench Dips 2 sets of as many reps as possible.
Leg Extensions 3 sets of 25 with 1 minute rest
Leg Curl 3 sets of 25 with 1 minute rest
Straight Arm Pulldown 3 sets of 20 with 1 minute rest.
Roman Chair Crunch 4 sets as many reps as possible-beat the preceding weeks best.
Machine crunch 3 sets of 12

That’s killer bro thx so much

Take some measurements and pictures. See how it goes every two weeks.
How’s your diet? Pick a show and stop saying I’ll compete next year. Make a plan and sign your name to it.

Totally agree & I’ll get on picking a show to complete in. My diets pretty good. I do eat 1600cals if I eat anymore I gain weight rapidly, I eat 171gs protein,140gs carbs, 35gs fat
Meal#1-proteinshack
(Workout)
Meal#2-protein pancakes-50gs oats,130gs egg whites, protein scoop, banana, cinnamon
Meal#3 6-7oz chicken breast,5oz broccoli,160gs yam
Meal#4 protein shack
Meal#5 meat & veggies that meet rest of my macros

I’ll say what I guarantee others with experience are thinking: I wouldn’t be talking contest preps until you addressed a few things:

1- you’ve seemingly lowered your calories and I’m going to assume carbs because that’s what a lot of inexperienced competitors and gym rats think you’re supposed to do wn route to getting ripped. Unfortunately your metabolic rate seems to have adjusted, leaving you with a very slow metabolism, and a daily intake lower than most female competitors. This will take time and knowledge to address before you even start thinking about lowering calories.

2- macro wise, the 99% protein diet some
Newbs think they must follow basically sets you up to rely on protein breakdown in order to make the carbs your hard training muscles want. In most cases,
Trainers with a decent amount of muscle mass and who aren’t excessively soft hAve a better insulin sensitivity than they realize. I can’t tell you how many times I look at someone’s current intake, double their carbs and lower their protein and suddenly magic happens.

3- I don’t quite get the 15 reps for everything. I’m not saying fall into the “low reps for siZe” over simplification, but definitely look into muscle fiber types and what groups are typically better responders to different ranges.

4- Full body sessions can work, BUT ask yourself if you’ve been making the lbm gains you’re after following your current program. I always say that the training program is the least important factor in any successful prep so long as you’re not doing anything insanely stupid. It is however a great topic for selling articles and trying to get new clients.

5- I want you to look at successful competitors who have similar heights and approximate structures to yourself, find their stage weight, and then realize that they were about 20-25 lbs heavier than that weight and relatively lean that. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you look like they do.

A couple of examples of competitors (Natual pros actually) from this site:
Rob Stein - about 5’4, competes about 145 lbs
Brad Grunner - about 5’10, competes about 170

Now that’s in absolutely diced and shredded contest shape, WITH muscles. Too many people rush to get onstage and in dieting themselves into a lighter body weight overlook the premise of actually bringing an impressively muscles physique with them.

Imo, and this is based solely on your posted pics, is work more on a recomp / lean gain approach for a while before thinking about staying onstage. Sure you could force yourself lighter and do a small show hoping for a little trophy validating your knowledge about training and nutrition, but I guarantee that you’d feel better walking out onstage knowing that you look better than you ever thought you would, and that means cuts and muscles:)

S

How are you tracking your macros? Are you weighing your food? How much protein powder in a scoop?

I would first make sure your macros are indeed correct. How long have you monitored your macros to make you believe you will gain weight quickly? You are not going to gain pounds of fat in a week. It may be you are too afraid of gaining weight and see any bloat/water retention as fat gain.

Dude, this looks terrible, just terrible. Sets of 20, 25 reps? Everything to failure 3x a week a long with extension of sets using rest-pause?

High reps squats using rep pause, followed by trap bar deadlifts to failure again rest pause followed by bent over rows again to failure and rest pause. Are you kidding me?

No. Are you? No one is twisting his arm to do it. He posted a question for help I responded.
And don’t give me any bullshit about overtraining because it takes more then a little hard work to be overtrain. He’ll be sore at first but his body will adapt.

I gotta say that while soreness doesn’t indicate growth stimulation in any sense (via mechanical overload or metabolic pathways), I will agree with @vulpes that the program suggested “for size” is pretty out there from what I would expect or even suggest as well.

S

Man I am totally blown away from you response and I’m going to do exactly that can I ask how many Cals you recommend to consume I was eating 2000 Cals and my weight was sky rocketing and threw me off

The human body can be amazingly adaptive. If you’re smart, you can slowly increase intake, and providing solid training and recovery (and not stupidly eating everything), you can “work your numbers up” over time. My friend Andrew had dieted down fo summer, kept his cals at about 2200 for months and then asked about going further for a full contest run. I fought him for about 4 months where he reluctantly in teased his cals and carbs and his weight stayed exactly the same! Now he’s eating about 2700 cals, a ton more carbs, again, weighing exactly the same, and now I told him we can make a run at a contest. See how that works? :slight_smile:

I will add that some people disagree on whether to slowly increase numbers or just jump them up, but I’ve never seen anyone gain a ton of adipose tissue from an analytical and methodical approach.

What I would suggest, is look at your tainting because it’s not keeping you especially lean at 2000 cals. Then once you iron that out, you can “shuffle macros” a bit as assess your true sensitivity once your body is utilizing what you’re giving it.

S

Bro, you really gain weight rapidly with 1600 calories a day and plenty of physical activity at 180 pounds?! I think you need to think and plan things over. That actually defies the physiology of adult men, even with little activity!

There’s actually little justification for eating this little other than the tail end of a prep for anyone of any weight if they do things properly.