Want to Build Glutes and Legs, Also Shed Weight on Torso

Hello
I am in to my third decade and a mother of a 4 year old. I have never trained with weights before but would like to build up a beautiful body. My problem areas are my extremely slim thighs and legs and flaccid butts. I do have PCOS . Also i have a lot of fat on my torso. I recently joined a program where i am being made to do Barbell Hip Thrusts , Squats, Deadlifts etc and follow a high protein diet. I feel really low and depressed as I feel no matter how hard i try , an hourglass ( or something as close as a bubble butt) is a dream i shall never be able to achieve. Please help.

Welcome.
It sounds like the program has got you going in the right direction. No reason to feel depreased this shit takes time. Stick with it. There is no magic pill, special formula, or shortcut. You just have to stay at it consistently. ( I’m terrible at being consistent) It is a good idea to start a training on here.

Can you give us height/weight?
What your program looks like sets/reps?
What your diet looks like?
How long have you been training?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the kind words
My training schedule is

Monday

Side kicks 15x 4 BW and Resistance bands

Clam shells 12x 4 reps body weight and resistance band

Hip thrusts BW 15x4 reps

Bicycle crunches 50x 4

Sumo squats 12x 4 with progressive overloading

Lunges 12 x 4

Leg presses

Seated calf raises

Leg curls 15-12-10-8

Tuesday

Back biceps and pectorals

Wednesday

Upper body

Thursday

Leg and gluteus including Romanian deadlifts

Glute bridges

Walking lunges

Hack squats

Standing calf raises

Barbell squats

Friday

Upper body and cardio

Saturday

Upper body

My height is 166 cms and I weigh 148 pounds

Looks like you are on the right track! Keep your diet in check, and just give it some time. You got this!
And start a training log on here. It is a great way for people to understand you better and offer advice.

1 Like

How to start a training log on

You can keep here, up in the Training log or in the O35.
Start it just like you did this thread. Give it a nice catchy name, and
Write down what you did, how you felt, what you ate etc…
It will help you keep track of your progress and ask questions. It keeps it all in one place so you can go back and see what works for you and what don’t.

2 Likes

Thanks ! Just did! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plan looks okay. I’d suggest slowly increasing calories. Nothing drastic. Maybe up by 200 calories every two weeks to start out. As you adjust and get stronger you can up them some more.

Now that I see it, I’d suggest not trying to work out 6 days a week. You’re either bound to burn out or stall, or both at the same time.

If you’re looking for progression, cut back the exercise days, 3-4 days a week seems to be sweet spot for most folks, but increase volume on the days you train, and one day focus on upping weight. Doesn’t have to be a 1rm tester, but even going up by 5-10lbs ensures progression, or pushing farther in the number of reps you can perform.

You can do it in blocks like most do. Up weight over a certain amount of weeks, assess progress, de-load, go back down in weight for a spell, ramp it back up, repeat.

For what it’s worth I’d pay attention to your periods, if you still have them. Follicular phase is prime time for strength focused work, and really nailing how much volume you put in.

1 Like

i train my legs and glutes only twice a week and have a two day gap in between on those days i train my upper body - back, chest , deltoid

I would like to focus on all gluteus muscels but would like to specially concentrate on my Hip Dips. I am doing weighted lateral side kicks and banded clam shells, Hip thrusts, Bodyweight glute bridges

which is the best exercise for growing the gluteus medius?

Is banded clamshells just as effective or is it meant to just cause glute activation.

Depends. Everyone’s opinion is different, and there’s a lot of different info.

My opinion and what experience I do have would actually be to get stronger, and gain more muscle. You can train your glutes to kingdom come, but unless you go up in weight by a noticeable amount your glutes will more or less look the same.

Glutes respond well to a mixture of high reps, low reps, heavy, and moderate weight. The key is manipulating the set/rep scheme to keep progressing. I wouldn’t say doing body weight stuff is bad, or even banded stuff, but you’re better off getting comfortable squatting, deadlifting/hypers, and doing some sort of barbell bridges. The more you can recruit a large area of your butt, the better.

You can do variations of what I mentioned, but still keep the same movement in mind.

But above all else, your diet is what’s going to get you to where you want to be. Meaning you’re more than likely going to have to eat more, and up your carbs and protein intake.

1 Like

thanks a lot @planetcybertron

just to give you an insight, after a warmup session , i do four sets of 10 reps of barbell deadlifts starting with 22 lbs and progressively loading to 33 lbs , 44 lbs and in my last set i lift 55 lbs and that is my maximum capacity .since its been just three months since i started this program.

is that going to be helping me gain muscle. My diet is adequate and i am on the plus side of calorie intake too. I eat about 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

Yeah that sounds good to keep you progressing. In general, mostly everyone who first started out training will reap the benefits of newbie gains. Once you’re plateauing in some form or fashion it may be time to start adding weight to the bar slowly.

Or develop a different training routine that’s a bit more advanced.

So just keep at it.

Hello
is building up a rounded butt easier than building up thighs and legs? On an average how much time does it take to start seeing reults?
TIA

As far as how your actual body parts will look, is dependent on your genetics, height, etc.

I wouldn’t say one is more easier to build than the other, but I will say some parts respond better or quicker to different training than other body parts, which will again be different for everyone.

On average maybe 6 months to a solid year before you see results. But if you wish to see steady results sustained over a long period time, up to 3-4 years, and if you wish to see permenant results, training in an efficient way for pretty much the rest of your life is the way to go.

1 Like

I take my measurements regularly and i feel i have gained about 1/4 of an inch around my hips ( the fullest part of the butt). Is that possible since its been just three months of training.

Not really. Give it a year, or more.