Want To Build A Home Gym CANADA

Hi, i live in canada and I want to have my own gym graduallay, I can’t have much at the time, im 17 and my parents are paying but i wll get a job eventually
I play football.

Im am thinking of buying this squat rack

www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Power-Rack-2x3-Tubing-P514C32.aspx

And this bar

www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Olympic-Bar-Made-in-China-P334C24.aspx

I have a bench not that good but I’ll try to get one better later on.

Should I get anything else except weights??

Hey bud,

I just dropped a ton of cash ordering a Rack through Elitefts.com. Customs is going to KILL me when it comes up. One of my suggestions would be to get:

• boards for board press

• box to squat on

• blast straps (EFS)

• chalk (cuz why the fuck not?)

• Lat machine addition to the rack (if possible)

• don’t opt for spring collars for the bar, but go for T-Bolt Collars. This is a HELL of a lot safer, but a little harder on the bar.

• Ab Wheel

• Plate rack (if you can afford it)

• Chains and Bands

Remember- buy a high quality rack and bar. these items will stick with you in the long run. Although the shipping is incredibly expensive, I decided to go with an EFS rack. I believe the quality of the product outweighs the price.

CSR

[quote]rZ_ wrote:
Hi, i live in canada and I want to have my own gym graduallay, I can’t have much at the time, im 17 and my parents are paying but i wll get a job eventually
I play football.

Im am thinking of buying this squat rack

www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Power-Rack-2x3-Tubing-P514C32.aspx

And this bar

www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Olympic-Bar-Made-in-China-P334C24.aspx

I have a bench not that good but I’ll try to get one better later on.

Should I get anything else except weights??[/quote]

Well i’m honoured to be asked a question personally. :slight_smile:

You might want to checkout the www.fitnesssource.ca also dude.

Barbells, dumbells, oly set, squat racks, bench and you should be all set. Of course, a power rack would rock.

Northern Lights makes good, durable products for weightlifting. I used to have one of their squat stands with the adjustable safety racks and an adjustable bench from them. They not only lasted through years of constant use from me, but the guy who owned them before me – who was a 300 lb gorilla of a man squat.

The only problem I found was in trying to do squats in most power racks. I’m 6’3" and use a wide/sumo stance for squats to parallel. In most squat racks this doesn’t work out – there’s just not enough room for my feet to take full width in the stance.

So I took the base off my rack and brought it to a metal shop where they did some cutting on the sides and flattened the middle of the base support.

Whereabouts in Canada are you?

It’ll be tough to get together good quality stuff as it’s expensive, but the minimum for a good gym I think would be:

power rack
Variable bench
DBs to about 40kgs
At least 200kgs of weights
To add to this I personally would get:

Leg press
Seated row/lat pulldown

With that you can easily work every muscle group in your body. Sure squats and lunges are great but you don’t feel like doing them every time you do legs, imo the leg press is a life saver at these times. Ditto with bent rows compared to seated.

newyorkbarbells.com in Elmira.

Not too far from the border…

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Whereabouts in Canada are you?[/quote]

Bump that where do you live.

[quote]keaster wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Whereabouts in Canada are you?

Bump that where do you live.[/quote]

Exactly, knowing what city you are near might help to recommend some places.

This is a good article about some of the things you may consider buying.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/kick_ass.htm

Hey guys, thanks for the reply , I live in Montreal.

Anybody ??

Can anybody tell me where I can buy a good rack not too pricey near montreal please ?

Please can anyone tell me where can I buy one close to montreal ???

Anyone ?

This company is located in Laval. They are what Charles Poliquin uses to train athletes and they even have a ‘Poliquin Power Rack’.

http://www.atlantis-fit.com/fr/

Its really funny, I live in Canada too and am ni the same situation because my sister is moving out so I’ll have extra room.

Except I don’t play football and I live in T.Dot.

Wow, a thread that I can participate in, and I almost missed it!

I bought the power rack that you’re looking at about 4-5 years ago. I absolutely love it. I added the high/low pulley attachment about a year after I bought the rack.

Basically…as far as my needs go, it’s perfect…I workout at home, but I can do max bench press, etc. without spotters…

If that’s the same bar they tried to sell me, then I wouldn’t get it…I went to Gomango Fitness and got the regular olympic bar. (The one from fitness depot had grooves where you put the weight, and the quick release collars that I bought wouldn’t fit properly)

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Hey guys, I am going to see the power rack tomorrow, i may not buy it, i don’t know if ill work out at home or at school or gym

anyway is this set of barbell good? *NO charge for shipping to nearest store location for pick up

Do you plan on deadlifting and squating? That’s not enough weight if you want to get strong. Even for hypertrophy 300lb deads and squats won’t hold up after a year or 2 of solid training. Depending on your current strength levels of course.

I have a 500lb oly set. I would go with 400lb at least unless you want to upgrade in the future.