Want to Become and Look Like an Athlete

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]EndersDrift2 wrote:
What kind of MMA are you doing[/quote]
Isn’t this kinda like asking “What kind of baseball are you playing?”
[/quote]

No there are different types of martial arts involved in MMA and there are different forms of MMA such as K1 (Standup only) vs UFC style (Standup and knockdown but no small joint manipulation). There are those that emphasize boxing, jiujitsu and muay thai while others might emphasize taekwondo and judo or karate and greco roman. That’s kinda the point of the sport and these aren’t trained for the same, especially if he’s doing something like Judo which is significantly different and more challenging than some of the other grappling arts.

[quote]B.L.U. Ninja wrote:

Like Chris said, if you’re 6’0 200, and very minimal muscle mass. For the life of me, I still can’t figure out how you’re 200 lbs, but I guess bone structure has to do with that also.

You don’t necessarily have to be super muscular to be a good MMA fighter, but you did say you want to look like one. It’s gonna be hard to fill out your frame, but if you wanna look like an athlete, there’s no way you can do that with 3000kcals WHILE training as one.
[/quote]

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
At over 6’ tall, most guys aren’t going to look “big” at anything under 210-220ish. The taller you get, the more muscle it takes to look filled out and jacked.[/quote]

I’m inbetween 6’4" and 6’5", not 6’0" :slight_smile:
Well I thought it was going to be a hard path, and always thought I should cut first, but when you guys said I will look like a skeleton I facebook-ed around a bit,searching for some of the guys I know that train martial arts and are tall… well,I saw a guy who is 4-5cm taller than me, has 83kgs and sixpack,but also looks like a thin rail.So I’m definitely not cutting down!

I know that muscular physique doesn’t mean much in MMA, but when I see Overeem, I know I want to be that big and throw my opponents around like toys, and I know I’d feel comfortable at LHW/HW category.

I’m going to start estimating my daily average calories, bought a small notebook for my food log and found that digital food scale my mom has been hiding in the kitchen :smiley:

Yesterday I did my first day of WS4SB and I’m damn sore today! Love the feeling :slight_smile:

Thank you guys for your support, won’t let you down! :smiley:

yea I was just thinking that if you tried to cut, you’d probably look worse than Nate Diaz.

OP - look at alot of of Martin Rooney’s stuff on this website

[quote]EndersDrift2 wrote:
No there are different types of martial arts involved in MMA[/quote]
Not to get too far off on a tangent here (though the OP’s issues were successfully addressed already). I agree with the point above.

K1, being “standup only”, is by definition not a form of mixed martial arts. Anyhow, I think I know what you were getting at, regarding the different styles that do make up the “mix” in mixed martial arts.

[quote]Captain Insane wrote:
I know that muscular physique doesn’t mean much in MMA, but when I see Overeem, I know I want to be that big and throw my opponents around like toys, and I know I’d feel comfortable at LHW/HW category.[/quote]
Remember that you’re still a young dude. In terms of a long term goal, it isn’t out of the question to aim for being a muscular heavyweight.

[quote]Yesterday I did my first day of WS4SB and I’m damn sore today! Love the feeling :slight_smile:

Thank you guys for your support, won’t let you down! :D[/quote]
Solid, man. Keep at it. Any other questions along the way, toss them up.

OP - You have gotten some good advice in this thread from people who are way more qualified than me. By all means eat and train like a serious athlete. However IMHO, your skill level, technique and sport specific conditioning will make a far bigger difference to you in competition. This is information I have gleaned from people who know a lot more about combat sports than I do. Work hard in the weight room, sure, but work waaaay harder and longer on the mats and in the ring, doing bag- and pad-work etc. Sorry if you already said and I missed it, but how often do you train in your sport and for how long? When you are not actually able to train do you use visualization to help hard-wire your techniques into your brain?

Trying to manipulate your weight at all at this point is likely counter productive. I suggest you focus on getting good at MMA. Eat good food and enough of it and allow your body to settle as close to your “natural” weight as possible. Get bigger and stronger, sure, but strength is not the end all and physique is irrelevant (as tempting as it is to want to look a certain way), I mean look at Fedor, right?

[quote]Captain Insane wrote:
5x2 Ball Jumps
[/quote]
I am hoping you don’t think this is an effective exercise? Please say you think it’s useless. Please.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
OP - You have gotten some good advice in this thread from people who are way more qualified than me. By all means eat and train like a serious athlete. However IMHO, your skill level, technique and sport specific conditioning will make a far bigger difference to you in competition. This is information I have gleaned from people who know a lot more about combat sports than I do. Work hard in the weight room, sure, but work waaaay harder and longer on the mats and in the ring, doing bag- and pad-work etc. Sorry if you already said and I missed it, but how often do you train in your sport and for how long? When you are not actually able to train do you use visualization to help hard-wire your techniques into your brain?

Trying to manipulate your weight at all at this point is likely counter productive. I suggest you focus on getting good at MMA. Eat good food and enough of it and allow your body to settle as close to your “natural” weight as possible. Get bigger and stronger, sure, but strength is not the end all and physique is irrelevant (as tempting as it is to want to look a certain way), I mean look at Fedor, right?[/quote]

I agree with this. MMA is more about your technique and skills then strength and power and as such should be given priority. Do not misunderstand me. I do not think strength and power is not important just that skill and technique is more important. Strength training should definately be included. By the way for MMA (especially in fights) you also need high levels of conditioning so make sure yours is up to par.

@Batman - I go hard on the mats, unfortunately I can only go to training two-three times a week because of school, but I trained before with pro fighters from different styles, so my technique and skill is way better than most newbies.
@UnderConstruction - That is one of the reasons why I chose WS4SB, it has conditioning days already included.
And as I understood him, that exercise was putting 2 balls a meter away and jumping over them and back 5 times.

Anyways, I’m training, eating a ton, literally, I’m always eating. My gut now nearly looks like the african kids, but when I look at myself in the mirror, I look like I’m losing bodyfat.I’m kinda confused, am I not eating enough, because sometimes I go all the way to 4000 calories per day!?!

Chris… K1 is absolutely MMA. MMA is any sport that combines different traditional fighting styles which K1 does. Just because you cannot use grappling techniques does not disqualify what DOES make it MMA just like in all the other sports there are limits on things like small joint manipulation (small circle jujitsu) but that doesn’t DISQUALIFY it from being MMA it simply imposes rules on what is allowed under a given federation. But if you want we can discuss this in PM or the combat forum (though if you want to continue over there please PM as I’ve stopped going in that forum).