Want To Be A Centenarian

How did they conclude that eating a calorie restricted diet leads to longer life? I can see someone who is obese and their only form of exercise is putting food into their mouth is shortening their life span. But compared to someone who exercises buring as much caloires and they consume, I would expect they would be in the same boat as people who are on calorie restricted diets.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
How did they conclude that eating a calorie restricted diet leads to longer life? I can see someone who is obese and their only form of exercise is putting food into their mouth is shortening their life span. But compared to someone who exercises buring as much caloires and they consume, I would expect they would be in the same boat as people who are on calorie restricted diets.

[/quote]

When you get into the nitty gritty mechanics I have no idea. Something to do with your body adapting to severe stress.

This is not the only evidence or argument I have heard for calorie restriction but my roomate in college was a bio major and I remember proofreading his paper called “Calorie Restriction in Drosophila Melanogaster extends life span”

Or something to that effect.

Still. Whats the point if you live on an apple, a single bean and a salad every day of your life?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

[/quote]

heres a study that deals with your point. Its all fucking rodent and housefly shit anyway. I hate science.

Who cares. Eat a cheeseburger.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

[/quote]

The only material I’ve seen with any actual proof on that was on lab rats and oversations that skinny people live longer.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I think by the time we get to 90 (2063 for me) then medical science will likely have some neat stuff to help us by then.
[/quote]

They’ve been saying that for 50 years.

Note: I have heard the following from a doctor who treats this condition…that if you are a guy, it is simply a matter of time as you get older until you get prostate cancer. If you know someone who didn’t get it…they didn’t live long enough.[/quote]

It’s generally any cancer that your family/gender is susceptible to, but a doc I worked with ran plenty of PSA tests on older guys.

Like you mentioned earlier, X, humans are simply not mean to live much longer than we already are. Mutations accumulate in the genetic code, things wear out, you die.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I think by the time we get to 90 (2063 for me) then medical science will likely have some neat stuff to help us by then.
[/quote]

Note: I have heard the following from a doctor who treats this condition…that if you are a guy, it is simply a matter of time as you get older until you get prostate cancer. If you know someone who didn’t get it…they didn’t live long enough.[/quote]

Now there’s some cheerful shit. Thanks Prof!

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
… humans are simply not mean to live much longer than we already are. Mutations accumulate in the genetic code, things wear out, you die. [/quote]

I thought we weren’t meant to live much past our prime breeding years, actually. Isn’t that about the time that things start breaking down?

Heck, believe what you want. We’re not meant to do anything, we have that freedom. And that choice

[quote]Eli B wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

[/quote]

heres a study that deals with your point. Its all fucking rodent and housefly shit anyway. I hate science.

Who cares. Eat a cheeseburger.[/quote]

I’m not gonna pretend I know much about studies done on this calorie-restricting idea… but if all the studies so far have been on insects, rodents, etc, extending it to humans is shaky.

Besides, life is too short. Even if you DO live to 100!

give blood

1. HAVE SEX: It lowers cholesterol, boosts blood circulation and releases feel-good endorphin hormones. And do it in the morning â?? your blood-sugar levels are low then, so the body converts fat stores into energy.

2. HAVE A LAUGH: Scientists say laughing for 15 minutes a day could add eight years to your life.

3. EAT TOMATOES: A daily portion can slash your risk of heart disease by 30 percent.

4. READ UPSIDE DOWN: Challenging the brain extends the cellsâ?? lifespan thus increasing life expectancy, researchers say.

5. GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS: Root vegetables are packed with goodness. Beetroot can help reduce the chance of a stroke and lower cholesterol, carrots are good for healthy vision, while parsnips reduce the risk of spina bifida and other birth defects.

6. GIVE BLOOD: Male blood donors are 17 times less likely to have a heart attack. Scientists claim it gets rid of excess iron, an oxidant linked to heart disease.

7. KNOW YOUR FAMILY: Being close to your mother halves your risk of high blood pressure, alcoholism and heart disease, experts say at Harvard Medical school.

8. LISTEN TO THE CLASSICS: Beethoven calms the heart, lowers blood pressure and lessens muscle tension, say researchers at Oxford University.

9. EVERYBODY SALSA: All dancing is good but with salsa youâ??ll burn at least 420 calories an hour.

10. GET MARRIED: A 20-year study found that married men typically live three years longer.

the entire list of 30 are at The Sun

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

1. HAVE SEX: It lowers cholesterol, boosts blood circulation and releases feel-good endorphin hormones. And do it in the morning â?? your blood-sugar levels are low then, so the body converts fat stores into energy.

2. HAVE A LAUGH: Scientists say laughing for 15 minutes a day could add eight years to your life.

3. EAT TOMATOES: A daily portion can slash your risk of heart disease by 30 percent.

4. READ UPSIDE DOWN: Challenging the brain extends the cellsâ?? lifespan thus increasing life expectancy, researchers say.

5. GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS: Root vegetables are packed with goodness. Beetroot can help reduce the chance of a stroke and lower cholesterol, carrots are good for healthy vision, while parsnips reduce the risk of spina bifida and other birth defects.

6. GIVE BLOOD: Male blood donors are 17 times less likely to have a heart attack. Scientists claim it gets rid of excess iron, an oxidant linked to heart disease.

7. KNOW YOUR FAMILY: Being close to your mother halves your risk of high blood pressure, alcoholism and heart disease, experts say at Harvard Medical school.

8. LISTEN TO THE CLASSICS: Beethoven calms the heart, lowers blood pressure and lessens muscle tension, say researchers at Oxford University.

9. EVERYBODY SALSA: All dancing is good but with salsa youâ??ll burn at least 420 calories an hour.

10. GET MARRIED: A 20-year study found that married men typically live three years longer.

[/quote]

Only thing is interesting is that Give Blood stuff. Anybody got more insight on that?

My grandmother will turn 100 this year. Genetics play a big part I’m sure. She still lives in her own home and although her memory is pretty much gone, she’s as happy as a clam. All her life she lived in the country, ate fresh and unprocessed foods and was active everyday.

She weighs about 75lbs now, but was always tiny. In her early 90’s she was treated for colon polyps and actually broke her wrist at one point and it healed. Surprising considering this is a woman who lost all her teeth in the course of birthing 3 kids (I understand this was common back in the day). Anyways, at close to 100, she’s had an amazing life.

I heard a joke somewhere about how to get to 100.

First, get to 99 years of age. Then be very careful.

“First you forget names, then you forget faces. Next you forget to pull your zipper up and finally, you forget to pull it down.”

• George Burns

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
4. READ UPSIDE DOWN: Challenging the brain extends the cellsâ?? lifespan thus increasing life expectancy, researchers say.[/quote]

Possible dumb question, but is it the book thats upside-down or your body?

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

1. HAVE SEX: It lowers cholesterol, boosts blood circulation and releases feel-good endorphin hormones. And do it in the morning �¢?? your blood-sugar levels are low then, so the body converts fat stores into energy.

4. READ UPSIDE DOWN: Challenging the brain extends the cells�¢?? lifespan thus increasing life expectancy, researchers say.

9. EVERYBODY SALSA: All dancing is good but with salsa you�¢??ll burn at least 420 calories an hour.

[/quote]

Only thing is interesting is that Give Blood stuff. Anybody got more insight on that?
[/quote]

4 hour body, Tim Ferriss, chicks live longer than men, why?
they menstruate, Men don’t, we have our toxic metal whatever sh*t in our blood forever.
he spoke to, damn it I forget who they are, some smart people, doctors? scientists? who themselves give blood like every other month because they believe that will make them healthier and live longer

he also mentioned protein cycling, he does 18 hour cycle which is only 5% calories from protein, well that’s easy, its a 16 hour fast (sleep) and a carb breakfast.
I let someone borrow the book so I’m trying to recall stuff

[quote]optheta wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

1. HAVE SEX: It lowers cholesterol, boosts blood circulation and releases feel-good endorphin hormones. And do it in the morning �¢?? your blood-sugar levels are low then, so the body converts fat stores into energy.

4. READ UPSIDE DOWN: Challenging the brain extends the cells�¢?? lifespan thus increasing life expectancy, researchers say.

9. EVERYBODY SALSA: All dancing is good but with salsa you�¢??ll burn at least 420 calories an hour.

[/quote]

[/quote]

found this on forbes, talking about his book

For example, one practice he claims increases longevity is bloodletting, which is regularly donating a significant amount of blood to get rid of excess iron in the body. He quotes Dr. Tom Perls, director of the New England Centenarian Study, as saying, â??Iron is a critical factor in our cellsâ?? ability to produce those nasty molecules called free radicals that play an important role in aging. …

It may be as simple as having less iron in your body.â?? Bloodletting was common practice until the late 19th century, when scientists Louis Pasteur, Robert Koch and Joseph Lister discovered that it was in fact germs, not humors, that caused disease, hailing bloodletting as pointless. The treatment is now mainly used to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce cancer-specific deaths.

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
[/quote]

Now there’s some cheerful shit. Thanks Prof![/quote]

I have spoke to pathologist X that always say Men either die from it or with it. BPH is going to happen to all men.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
[/quote]

Now there’s some cheerful shit. Thanks Prof![/quote]

I have spoke to pathologist X that always say Men either die from it or with it. BPH is going to happen to all men. [/quote]

…which is the main problem with wanting to live that long or longer…the human body simply wasn’t designed for that.

I was actually hoping the thread would have opened up by now, but considering most people you know and love will be dead if you live to be 100, what is the benefit there?

I could see if you had tons of kids and grandkids and were very close to them, but that would be the only way I would want to be here longer than everyone else.

Life is about the people you meet and what you do in life while you can still do it.

No one gets a special prize at the end for lasting the longest…and without those people who were there with you through your life, what is the point?

I have friends now that I would hate to lose, but the reality is, no one lives forever…and life isn’t just about the number.