T Nation

Want To Be A Centenarian

Due to the fact I have an uncommon zest for life, I've decided that living slightly past 100 is in order. I will accept 98 of these years to be with unaided mobility, no chronic illnesses present and higher than average cognitive function for a ninety-something. The final two, it's okay if everything goes to hell just to cross the finish line. My top three steps to get where I want to be (in no particular order):

Refrain from use of ALL medications
Stress management - Study and practice well above some crappy corporate 'we care about our employees' 4 week course
Live with intense purpose

Barriers:

No male relative at least 3 generations back has made it past 90
Not sure if long-term powerlifting is conducive to the whole mobility at 90 thing <<< looks at foam roller

Suggestions? Think genetics makes the final call? Anyone who makes it to 100 with me, I'll buy some protein.... or a steak.... or whatever you buy each other at that time.

I can't imagine living in NY would be good for the stress management. Unless you're really good at managing stress. Move some place with less people perhaps? Okinawa?

How old are you now?

Does your life have a strong purpose now? Like something over-arching that you're trying to achieve?

I'd look into different methods of longevity (supplements, cultural practices etc).

I read once that the only things you can do for a long and healthy life are don't smoke and wear your seatbelt. Everything else is either genentic or a crapshoot.

I wouldn't lay off the meds though. Those can help quite a bit.

I like the bit about higher than average cognitive function. What's the point of living if your mind is gone?

1) I'm from Upstate NY. Rural area with a creek running through my backyard and surrounded by woods. Night and day from the NY most people think of.
2) Mid 30's
3) Yes. Very driven in lifting, work, and being dad of the year

This isn't one of those cases of I'm all fucked up and striving to be 100 will give my life meaning. It's more like why shouldn't I live that long if I'm doing all the right things now (assuming my perception of "right" actually is).

Fair enough.

Other things to think about:

1. Finances.

Those living in the future are destined to miss the present.

Well now aren't you just the funniest motherfucker on this site?

Hmmm, from dealing with many patients over the age of 75 or 80...life after that age is not filled with roses even if you do stay in shape.

I have the mentality that the QUALITY of the life lived far outdoes the amount of years.

Unless medical science makes some HUGE leaps in the next 15 years or so, the human body was simply not designed to be in top shape over the age of 70 as things are now on average....and no, pointing out people like Jack Lalanne doesn't prove a point.

Someone with a true zest for life would worry more about living than worrying about whether they make it to 100.

I think by the time we get to 90 (2063 for me) then medical science will likely have some neat stuff to help us by then.

But also yeah, it'd be better to be healthy and die earlier than do anything to just stick around longer.

My grandfather died when he was 83. For years before that he often said: "Meh... All my friends are dead."

If you'd read a little more closely, I listed several points that implied I didn't just want to make it to 100, but have a decent quality of life near that point as well. Yes, I'm all for quality over quantity. If it's not in the cards to achieve both then so be it.

I plan on living well into my hundreds.
My family has longevity(both sides of grandparents lived to ~90 years old, some got cancer, some just got old), and neither of them knew what 'looking after themselves' was.
I said to someone the other day 'You don't stop moving because you get old, you get old because you stop moving'. Use it or lose it.

I read and understood you just fine...one of the reasons I mentioned PATIENTS. From what I have seen in about ten years of practice is that first, it is VERY RARE to reach that age and not be on any medication at all. If you are black or hispanic, you might as well forget it and count yourself one of the very few if you pull that off. This is largely genetic.

Second, I do not see any heavy super old people. I remember one patient over the age of 75 who wasn't on any meds (he was black by the way) but he also stood out as being extremely thin. I don't know many Marines or truck drivers or even random soldiers or big weight lifters making it to that age with no complications whatsoever.

In other words, if you want to make it to 100...

1. be from a family of many people who make it to that age.

2. Stop eating and get really skinny....like rail thin skinny.

3. Don't drive.

4. Ask fate not to kill you until the very day you reach 100.

They've been saying that for 50 years.

Note: I have heard the following from a doctor who treats this condition....that if you are a guy, it is simply a matter of time as you get older until you get prostate cancer. If you know someone who didn't get it...they didn't live long enough.

Have you seen how people that are 90 years old have lived and ate through out their lives?

Read why zebras don't get ulcers.

Holy shit, look at your Av...

Yeah. I heard that also. A lot of times men die of heart failure or what have you and they'll find a slow growing kind of tumor in their prostate. They already had the cancer it just didn't have quite enough time to kill em.

Yeah I think severe calorie restriction has been shown to lengthen lifespan. However severe calorie restriction means borderline starving.

For the people that actually enjoy their lives and still live that long, its entirely genetics.

http://growingbolder.com/articles/uncategorized/the-oldest-man-in-the-world-today-213289.html

"No doubt about it, Henry Allingham is as interesting as he is old! And, at the age of 113, he is the oldest living man in the world. Proving age had not dimmed his sense of humor, he once attributed his longevity to â??cigarettes, whiskey and wild womenâ??. Allingham is also one of just two surviving British veterans of World War I."