Want to be 6'1 130, i'm 6'1 147 in this Video

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

I respectfully disagree. My issue is with the criteria. To me, it’s similar to a High Jump competition, where athletes are now mandated to use the Fosbury Flop. Prior to the establishment of such a rule, athletes were allowed to clear the bar using any style that they found most effective. Originally, there wasn’t even a protective mattress to land on, which made the Fosbury Flop impossible at the onset. Though the Fosbury Flop might be the most effective way to clear the bar, it eliminates several styles that are nearly as effective, and also makes it impossible for people with different takeoff styles to compete, such as double leg jumpers who are capable of front flipping over the bar.

Though a well shaven & tanned body may be the most efficient way to win a physique contest, I personally don’t think it should be considered a joke or a mockery for one to not shave, and not tan. I also don’t think it should result in automatic deductions or removal from an event.

I’m not religious but I do feel that my body & facial hair are a source of power, so removing it is not something i’d be willing to do. I shaved my arms once, as an experiment, and I really hated it.

Regarding tanning, I normally wear long sleeve shirts in the sun, high socks, and a large protective hat or beanie, to prevent the UV rays from reaching my skin. I’ve had several potentially cancerous moles removed, so that’s something I won’t ever play around with. As far as tanning oils go and such, i’m “afraid” of chemicals, so tanning lotion and sun screen is not really an option for me. For example, I rarely wear deodorant, except in cases where i’m going to be out in public for several hours. Also as I mentioned a few sentences ago, I use clothing to protect from the sun, not sun screen. I try as hard as possible to avoid medications, chemicals, lotions, etc. Some of these lifestyle choices make it “impossible” for me to compete. Not impossible in the truest sense, but impossible due to the culture surrounding Men’s Physique and bodybuilding in general.

Thanks so much. I didn’t mean to call people who shave or tan followers. I can see how it could be interpreted as such. Later on in the post I mentioned, i’m supportive of everyone’s physique/athletic goals, such as “big dude beefy”. So hopefully that helps express my true intent. To me it’s not just the “result” compared to some cookie cutter idea of a male or female physique, it’s the pursuit of perfecting ones self, whatever self that might be.

I fully respect people’s choice to follow, or not follow the rules.

My idea of bodybuilding is a bit different than most, it seems. When I call myself a bodybuilder, most people laugh. I understand why they laugh, though at times it can be slightly upsetting. People form ideas of what X is to them, and then they often defend their idea of X, especially when an outsider challenges their idea of X. People can become quite combative and disrespectful.

I follow this definition from Merriam-Webster:

The physiques i’ve built in my years training, are optimized towards running, jumping, and sprinting. Through the use of diet & exercise, I sculpt a physique that allows me to maximize my athletic performance in said actions. The only thing I haven’t done is “compete” with my physique, though I have posted photos which checks off the “exhibition” portion of the definition.

Finally, you mentioned genetics. Are body hair, facial hair, & skin color not genetic? In a physique competition, why are we “removing or altering” genetic features, in order to attempt to better display musculature, which has in many cases been “increased” using methods that are not very “natural”: weightlifting, tanning, shaving, pharma. I’m not saying those components diminish bodybuilding in any way, i’m just stating that the exclusion of some components may not allow us to present the full package.

An example. Kimbo (RIP) Slice, a legend in my area, had a solid physique. He never cut down to “contest level body fat”, but if he did, I imagine he would look pretty impressive. Regardless, Kimbo’s chest & facial hair, to me, are a source of power & strength. If I saw him posing on stage, in contest shape, with such chest & body hair, I personally would not deduct. An entirely different conversation, would be his level of body fat & whether or not that is acceptable in a physique competition. Personally, i’d say yes.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks again!

1 Like

It doesn’t matter since you will never have the physique to enter a bodybuilding competition anyway.

Kimbo was not stage ready based on bb standards. I think you’re putting your own ideals in front of bodybuilding guidelines. Which is fine for you but if you want to enter a bodybuilding show you need to go off there guidelines.

This is not a physique update, though I am a bit leaner than I was in the physique photo I posted above. My Tanita scale says 9.5% body fat, which is a major improvement over a few weeks ago where it registered as 13%. That 9.5% probably translates to a 10.5-11% caliper measured body fat, so still much work to do before I look & move like Mo Farah. I’ll post a better physique shot with perhaps a few poses when I hit ~147 lb or so. Also, i’ve been eating extremely clean: mostly avocados, grape fruit, water with lemon, green tea, and occasionally some milk. I feel really good on such a diet, very powerful, aggressive, explosive, loose, and in great condition.

I decided to shave my head. This is not related to physique, it’s more related to aerodynamics, though i’ve been told on several occasions that I have “solid skull genetics” in regards to shaved heads, which might look pretty cool in the future if I let my beard grow. Solid skull genetics + solid beard genetics might make my physique look bigger than it actually is & potentially “fool” some judges, perhaps this is “The Conor Effect” or the “Yoel Romero Effect” (shaved head + beard + lean physique).

I’ve been trying to find out how to enter some Men’s Physique shows (in 2018 or 2019), but from everything i’ve seen so far, i’d be too light to compete at 6’1 / 140 lb. Not sure why you can’t just compete in a weight class, regardless of height. That’s some bullsh*t.

FWIW, I decided to make this a “white on white” photo to symbolize a kind of “rebirth”, as if I were a precog baptized in milk out of something like Minority Report.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY9I726BRzu/

peace

1 Like

:laughing:

I enjoyed this part the most. Thank you.

Also, solid diet. Any cleaner you’d be chugging Javex.

2 Likes

Hey! You’re welcome. But what did you mean by “enjoyed this part the most”?

While I was on my run, getting a nice pump, I realized that this skull shot at age 35 serves as a good defense against future PED allegations. For example, it’s evident from this photo, and my well proportioned skull, that I have not abused hGH thus far in my career. Now imagine a few years down the road, when i’m an inspiration on T-Nation, competing in shows, dunking, sprinting, and middle distance running … People will make allegations. I just took a photograph of a measuring tape around my skull for future metric proof of cranium circumference. This photo has already been uploaded to Amazon S3, so it contains timestamps AND it contains timestamps within the EXIF data embedded inside of the image (JPEG). For the record, i’m personally anti PED. I do not advocate drug use, especially if it violates agreed upon rules of clean & fair competition. I also do not advocate the experimentation with any substance that may potentially shorten life span. Health is most important. Let our training serve to make us healthier, stronger, faster, & happier for many years to come.

Thanks. Haven’t heard of it, but i’ll check it out.

peace!

I seriously doubt anyone was concerning themselves with that but it still made my day.

2 Likes

This is the exact same physique you had five years ago. And it’s not even lean. You just don’t have any muscle mass. You’re skinny, not lean. If you wanna compete in physique you’re gonna have to add 50 lbs of muscle and lose 10 lbs of fat

Hello @lord_humungous.

I humbly & respectfully disagree: it is not the exact same physique as I had 5 years ago. I was leaner 5 years ago, with significantly more thigh, glute and calf mass - as well as more mass in my obliques & postural stability musculature. This is undoubtedly due to the lifting I did during those years.

For example, in January of 2011, I wrote these words in this thread:

So, assuming I took measurements on that day, to brag about my extraordinary physique, these were my numbers:

• 152 lb.
  • Thigh (standing): 24"
  • VMO (standing): 17"
  • Calf (standing): 15"
  • Lots of hair
  • Armpit hair

I just got out the same tape measurer, and here are my current stats:

• 146 lb.
  • Thigh (standing): 20.5"
  • VMO (standing): 14.75"
  • Calf (standing): 13.25"
  • Wrist (also standing): 6.15"
  • Shaved head
  • Shaved armpits

So, as expected, the lack of lifting, specifically high volume squatting, in combination with focusing on cyclic endurance bipedal activities, has resulted in a more “streamlined” and aerodynamic physique.

Whether or not the difference in those numbers is significant or not, is up to the observer. In my opinion, my dunking physique which utilized high frequency squatting, is very different than my running physique which utilizes absolutely no lifting. You may have a different opinion than me, and that’s fine. To me, nearly 4" of extra thigh mass, nearly 4" of extra VMO mass, and nearly 2" of extra calf mass, is quite significant.

Finally, I appreciate your advice but I only agree with you on the body fat levels. I’m ~146 lb right now and I still have a good ~10 lb of non-essential fat mass that I can safely drop, like you pointed out. Once I drop this fat mass, whether or not I plan to compete will be my own personal decision. I disagree completely that I would need to add 50 lb of muscle. I’ve already had a few DM’s on this forum offering their support.

In closing, I imagine we both agree on the idea that my physique is no longer comparable to the Grecian Ideal. Without utilizing the instrumentation of weightlifting, I am unable to provide tension to specific muscle groups in order to target & stimulate hypertrophy. Now, all gains or reverse gains are a direct result of sprinting, running, and jumping.

Thank you for your time,

Andrew “Returning to my African roots” Darqui

Just to clarify for any new viewers of this thread, or potential fans of mine:

This was basically my ideal bodybuilding physique 5+ years ago, though with much less upper body mass:

This is basically the bodybuilding physique I am aiming for now:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjhiAcA6-M/?taken-by=somosrunners

Thanks!

That’s not a bodybuilding physique

2 Likes

Hello. I would like to offer you the following resources:

Bodybuilding Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster + Physique Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Thus,

“the developing of the body through exercise and diet” + “the form or structure of a person’s body :bodily makeup”

Becomes:

“the developing of the body through exercise and diet, yielding the form or structure of a person’s body”

If you disagree with these definitions, I can provide you contact information for my Merriam-Webster rep.

Thank you.

The criteria for which you are using to determine the definition of bodybuilding is not the same criteria that a judge will use to score you on a stage in your underwear.

Kapish?

2 Likes

Hello sir or madam,

Please re-read my statement. Never did I once mention contests or judging in the “bodybuilding physique” definition post.

Also, i’m well aware of the criteria used to judge a bodybuilding contest. If I were to enter a competition, I would expect to be judged based on their criteria. Whether or not I agree with their criteria is a different issue.

As for my own personal goals & training, I consider myself a “bodybuilder” according to the definition, and my “physique” a result of that bodybuilding. I’m not an elite runner yet. However, as I improve my athleticism in the quest to obtain elite runner ability through my bodybuilding training, I expect my physique to improve as a direct result.

Finally, in case you were unaware, physique contests would have me posing in board shorts, not underwear.

I stand by my usage of the actual definitions of “bodybuilding” and “physique”, of which, apply to this forum & the vast majority of its members.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Your trolling was much more subtle and funny back in the day. Now it’s just played out and tired, move on already

2 Likes

I was gonna type a deuchy response to sound like an Ethiopian asking for money, but meh… this jokers not worth it.

I actually think he’s real, not a troll. No troll could last this long

So far, i’ve been called a troll on several occasions. Yet, i’m trying hard to get down to 130 lb. I work very hard, and hopefully i’ll stay healthy and continue to work hard for several consecutive years & achieve my goals. So, maybe once and for all, please explain to me & the rest of the forum, how it is that I am “trolling”?

What’s even more surprising, is how you call me a troll after I provided a detailed response to your post.

IMHO, it seems like calling people “trolls” is a nice way to tuck tail and run, especially when one has just been outclassed on an internet forum.

I try to avoid these kinds of replies, because like you said, it’s “played out and tiring” responding to flippant troll accusations. Also, like you said, “move on already”. No one is forcing you to read or reply in this thread. However, you felt the need to do so. You levied some critique, I countered, and then you basically threw up the white flag.

FWIW, if you eventually want to engage in polite, thoughtful debate or conversation, i’m here.

Sincerely,

adarq

Dude, you’re right. Folks have been dismissive of your claims.

Coming to t-nation and saying you want to look like a marathon runner is like going to a swimming forum and telling them you think you’ll be better off at 400 pounds.

There are no experts on this site that can advise you to be a corn stalk that can dunk a basketball.

So, yes, we think your goals make no sense, and yes, we’re kinda being dicks about your head genetics comment… but what did you expect?

1 Like

Before I make my next post, i’d just like to get something off of my pinchable fat chest.

What is “bodybuilding”? Could someone please explain it to me? Most people on this forum don’t compete in “contest/show bodybuilding” or “physique competitions”. Alot of people here just want to look & feel good. Alot just want to get really strong. Some want to improve conditioning & get strong. Some want to get into UFC Fighting. Some just love nutrition. So in the context of T-Nation, what is bodybuilding? When I say i’m a bodybuilder, it seems alot of people disagree. What if I was fat? Would I then just be “bulking” in order to transition into a cut, so theoretically my future self would be a bodybuilder, and thus i’m bodybuilding? Lots of people on here cut fat, in fact I imagine it’s the biggest goal of most people on here - getting lean. So, are they bodybuilding? But, if I do it, it’s not bodybuilding because i’m too skinny?

I’m confused. I posted the definition of bodybuilding above. Does T-Nation adhere to a different creed of bodybuilding? I thought bodybuilding was using diet & exercise to transform ones physique and performance?

It seems most people on T-Nation are confused.

Let me clear it up for everyone. If someone wants to get good at running, but they are “overweight”, as they hone in their diet & train properly, their body transforms. As a result of this transformation, they are “building their body & performance through diet & exercise”, and thus by definition: bodybuilding.

However, and this is very important, it doesn’t make them an “elite bodybuilder”. For example, an elite runner such a “Mo Farah”, in olympic shape, would be considered an “elite bodybuilder” specific to the sport of running. In competition form, Mo Farah is incredibly lean ~6% body fat, in incredible shape, and his diet is immaculate. He is not in “contest/competition shape” for too long, only reaching this stage at specific dates where he needs to peak his performance, such as at the World Championships, or the Olympics.

So our recreational runner in the previous example, has alot of work to do to try and achieve the physique, work capacity, strength, and endurance of Mo Farah. Just like our recreational contest physique bodybuilders have as much work to do to try and become Ronnie Coleman.

At the elite level of any sport/competition discipline, you will find fairly similar physiques. This is the result of many years of bodybuilding - strict and dedicated focus on diet & exercise.

Thanks

Who is we? You speak for T-Nation? Who are you btw?

FWIW, the thread that brought me to T-Nation was this one: “Of Stones and Strength” by Brad Cordoza. He was a big inspiration for me on this forum, and yet I never thought I would be a professional strongman. One day this thread will rival his, but only once I reach my goals. Until then, i’m just a “troll” apparently. I doubt most people on here who offer me their uneducated critique, have even seen that thread.

Oh btw, who are you again? You do realize this forum has a conditioning subforum right? It also has nutrition, beginners, combat, etc subforums.

So because I want to achieve an elite level at running, I can’t talk on a forum full of people who are dedicated to a variety of strength, nutrition, and endurance disciplines?

Now let’s imagine I want to fight (boxing) at featherweight, at 6’1. I can’t partake in this forum because i’m too skinny? But, i’m fighting people, and there’s a combat subforum on here. But i’m too skinny. Maybe i’d be accepted if I bulked up to 300 lb and fought at heavyweight, then it’s ok? Please let me know @drewc64.

Makes alot of sense @drewc64. Wish you had been here early on so you can steer me in the right direction!

1 Like