T Nation

Want Hypertrophy, Jumping Too Far Ahead?

I started training seriously 3 days a week and eating well in about September/October last year using starting strength. (I have posted on this site before but under a different user which I forgot passwords, ive now wrote them down and stuck them to a wall).

I Started weighing about 133pounds, im now 158pounds. I stopped making progress with starting strength and I have just been doing squats and presses to maintain, before I decide where I want to go next. What I feel is best for me next is hypertrophy, however would like to keep training strength if possible.

I've seen the blending size and strength routine and I am thinking about doing this. Am I getting ahead of myself or could this be done?

Size and strength are not the mutually exclusive goals the internet would have you believe they are.

Run something like 5/3/1 and you should meet your goals. Consider the BBB style assistance work to start with.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Size and strength are not the mutually exclusive goals the internet would have you believe they are.

Run something like 5/3/1 and you should meet your goals. Consider the BBB style assistance work to start with.[/quote]

I’ve found that focusing more on “hypertrophy” has helped me to increase strength, particularly in pressing movements.

Size and strength are not the mutually exclusive goals the internet would have you believe they are.[/quote]

I think this can’t be stated enough… I look back to college football and think that our “strength” programs sure put on a lot of size, too.

Run something like 5/3/1 and you should meet your goals. Consider the BBB style assistance work to start with.[/quote]

x2

OP: Eventually try the 3-month 5/3/1 BBB Challenge. You’ll learn exactly what that means and see how hard you can yourself for gains.

If you have been reading articles from some guy who claims to know how bodybuilders train by scientifically analyzing youtube videos, I suggest that you forget everything you’ve read pertaining to this topic.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

x2

OP: Eventually try the 3-month 5/3/1 BBB Challenge. You’ll learn exactly what that means and see how hard you can yourself for gains.[/quote]

x3