Want cardio? Do leg workouts, these will have you worn out.

Nothing personal man, I just felt he came off as cocky but if he knows his stuff then, I’ll listen to him, by the way, I looked into deadlifts today, just trying to figure out the right way to do it then some dude showed me some other exercise that puts less strain on my back, but I only do leg workouts once every 6-7 days, so is this still overtraining if I go like once a week?

Eh, not for nothin’ here but I’d like to make a point or two. I’m not defending Juity’s 83 set leg workout, but where has this “30 minute so intense workout I just can’t go on” come from? Everyone trains differently. Not everyone would respond to a 30 or 40 minute workout, some prefer longer. I don’t feel that a 60-90 minute weightlifting workout, 3 times per week, is excessive. Many of the workouts proposed in T-Mag over the years were 60 minutes or more in duration. Bottom line: If ya like 30 minute routines, fine, but if ya like 90 minute ones, fine too. As long as they’re producing results for ya.

Well said, Trev. Us devoted T-mag college guys could very well drink seven days a week, train chest and biceps every day, and ignore the resources so readily available to us. People like you, Joel, and I (among others) have busted our asses in the gym, kitchen, library, and on the forum to get to where we are. To be honest, I can’t think of a post that has bothered me more than his knock on Joel. You put in the time, you deserve the respect, not the wisecracks.

Eric, thank you for saying so. I really do agree with you; one of the greatest things about the forum is that it allows you to “meet” people who are your true peers.

For me, it’s nice to know that there are other 20 year old males out there who abstain from drinking, bring measuring cups and food scales to the dining halls, and actually know what they’re doing in the gym – even if there are none on my own campus =) I think in time, with the help of people like Joel, Patricia, ko, et al, Juity may become one of them.

I realize that I’ve been a little quiet of late, but I’ll talk now.

Juity - Welcome to the T-Mag forum! Your enthusiasm is nice to see, but your defensiveness is not going to help. I realize that some of the guys may have showed a little "attitude" in response to your post. One of the first steps to a successful career in athletics and bodybuilding is humility. Usually, when college kids first scan through T-mag, they are floored. You may think you know what you are doing, but you soon realize there is so much more than you ever thought.

Leg training is very hard and is a potential problem for many people. Many of the suggestions already made are good: increased ham/quad balance, learning how to squat and dead properly, reading up on Ian King's and many of the other contributor's articles, etc. Please keep this post and look back on it in a year and you may then see what many of us see right now - an enthusiac new lifter with a lot to learn.

All I can say is that you have found the right place if you want to learn, but it takes humility, respect and a sense of effort. Believe it or not, many of us consider grammar and spelling an important part of this forum. You get real answers here from some of the top people in the business, so make sure that you put the time and effort into your questions.

Welcome to the forum!

I only do this once every 6 days

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jason.

WOW, I knew something wasn’t right. 83 worksets??? Come on now, that’s more like 38 worksets. What college do you go to Joel?

Dangerous? Hell even cheat curls are dangerous. proper form, managable and steady progressive load will never be dangerous. every 6 days? I would do about 5% of that 83 set workload and do it at least every other day. He’ll learn the more is better approach is wrong soon. If it is not, then why ever stop lifting?

It might as well be 83. Let it go.

Big difference between 38 and 83. Does it still seem like overtraining?

Yes. My leg days are usually 9-12 sets, with the exception of one program that JOEL gave I and my girlfriend (Patricia) which has about 24 sets(1/3 of those sets are for the calves).

PS. Isn't it odd that Joel wrote "83" when it is actually "38". Looks like a typo not a math problem.

Juity, try reading some of Ian King’s earlier articles in the T-Mag archives. He talks a lot about recovery and how to design a program so as to avoid overtraining. I realize that you’re young and thus probably have a stupendous amount of hormones going through you, but 38 sets is way too high.

Another of King’s ideas that a lot of us have profitably incorporated into our workouts is to split up your thigh training into a quad day and a hamstring day. Give it a shot and see what you think.