T Nation

Want Big Traps do you have to Shrug Over 400?

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:
…500. i currently do 275 and for some reason i hope i never have to lift that much to get big traps.[/quote]

And why do you hope that? What is wrong with lifting heavy weights to get big traps? Not saying you need to.

As for needing big weights for big traps…dunno for everyone of course but heavy bb shrugs (700lbs+) didn’t give me Ronnie’s traps. Maybe I forgot to say the magic words “Peanuts, baby!”.[/quote]

Could someone define “big traps” vs “not so huge traps”?[/quote]

That is easy. My traps are not so huge and your traps are biig or better have reached the maximum size a natty can achieve.

Or that is what Gregron told me.[/quote]

No offense, but maybe you should widen your field of “advice givers” you listen to.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:
…500. i currently do 275 and for some reason i hope i never have to lift that much to get big traps.[/quote]

And why do you hope that? What is wrong with lifting heavy weights to get big traps? Not saying you need to.

As for needing big weights for big traps…dunno for everyone of course but heavy bb shrugs (700lbs+) didn’t give me Ronnie’s traps. Maybe I forgot to say the magic words “Peanuts, baby!”.[/quote]

Could someone define “big traps” vs “not so huge traps”?[/quote]

That is easy. My traps are not so huge and your traps are biig or better have reached the maximum size a natty can achieve.
Or that is what Gregron told me.[/quote]

No offense, but maybe you should widen your field of “advice givers” you listen to.[/quote]

You infidel. Gregron is awesome, a 2nd zyzz but better - just look at his avi. You are just jealous.

Heavy shrugs work. Just do the full ROM. Simple.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

You infidel. Gregron is awesome, a 2nd zyzz but better - just look at his avi. You are just jealous.[/quote]

infinite_shore = Gregron secondary account

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

You infidel. Gregron is awesome, a 2nd zyzz but better - just look at his avi. You are just jealous.[/quote]

infinite_shore = Gregron secondary account[/quote]

First I’m accused to be that kid houston guy and now gregron. I don’t who I am anymore.

I’m all about heavy weight and shit form.

But if you think this is all you need and you can get by on this forever you’re doomed.

periods of shit form for a while with heavy weight.
+
followed by periods of perfect form, static holds slow reps and shit

what gives me great results

The thing about traps… I feel they are maybe the most resilient muscle group. Need to train them hard 2x a week.

Deadlifts.Highpulls. Shrugs. Get very strong in these movements and you are guaranteed to have huge traps.

What is meant by “Shit” Form? Partials? how exactly can you f’ck up shrugging

Just say Idk 20x

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
What is meant by “Shit” Form? Partials? how exactly can you f’ck up shrugging

Just say Idk 20x[/quote]

Someone posted a video on his very page that answers your question.

lol… That is definitely not my second account hahaha

I LOLed at the Zyzz thing though.

Traps seem to be the calves of the upper body… Some people get great ones without even trying and some people seem to struggle with them no matter what.

^ that was stressful

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
^ that was stressful[/quote]

One of the more bizarre gym vids I’ve seen. Almost to the point of being tasteless.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Traps seem to be the calves of the upper body… Some people get great ones without even trying and some people seem to struggle with them no matter what.[/quote]

Agreed that genetics certainly play a role, but I wouldn’t equate traps with calves for two reasons:

1 - Peripheral muscles (ie. calves and forearms) just don’t get the same bloodflow as central groups

2 - I can recall reading about tons of androgen receptors in the traps, in general

[quote]chillain wrote:

2 - I can recall reading about tons of androgen receptors in the traps, in general

[/quote]

Usually you can tell a 'roid head by the development of the traps, upper chest, and delts.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

one can only dream that they’ll be that strong one day… :frowning:

trap training hurts my eyes. for the sake of the few at your gym who are aware of things like forward-head posture, proper posture, and aesthetics (as far as as if an upper back is all trap, you need to stop) just don’t worry about your traps. if you can deadlift 2x your bodyweight, your traps will not suck, and by then your BODY won’t suck, and you can worry about mundane isolated muscles like your trapezius.

[quote]Zoro wrote:
trap training hurts my eyes. for the sake of the few at your gym who are aware of things like forward-head posture, proper posture, and aesthetics (as far as as if an upper back is all trap, you need to stop) just don’t worry about your traps. if you can deadlift 2x your bodyweight, your traps will not suck, and by then your BODY won’t suck, and you can worry about mundane isolated muscles like your trapezius.[/quote]
Traps are pretty integral to the deadlift and they aren’t a small muscle group.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Traps seem to be the calves of the upper body… Some people get great ones without even trying and some people seem to struggle with them no matter what.[/quote]

I’m not so sure I believe this anymore. I think it’s an issue of people just not learning to connect with the muscle yet. This usually involves dropping to like 30% of the loading you’re used to doing, which many guys are not willing to do.

Probably a bit of both. Some guys have awesome calves and traps and alot may scream “genetics!” but maybe they just have an absurd MMC with that muscle group without ever having to work for it.

Just rambling, but an interesting discussion nonetheless.