Want Big Traps do you have to Shrug Over 400?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]EthanETE wrote:
400 pound Shrugs are extremely light. I would put that number somewhere more in the 550-700 range for it to be accurate, if one can even draw such a statement/conclusion lol[/quote]

What sort of progression would you recommend for getting such beastly shrugging numbers? 5x5?[/quote]

I can’t figure out why he gets to just start over on a new screen name. He’s still trolling with these stupid BS posts. I’d like to see his 400lb shrugs. This post makes no sense.[/quote]

Ya what’s up with these bb dot com rejects blatantly trolling over here lately. I don’t get it.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

The tribal tat reminds me of Ethan. Twins?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Don’t waste our time posting about large eggs in a thread about traps, DD!

lol[/quote]

I would say the yoke’s on you, but with that attitude, it obviously isn’t.

bwahahahhahahhaha. Twins for sure

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

The tribal tat reminds me of Ethan. Twins?[/quote]

Busted hahaha

High Pulls and hang power cleans are also meant to be effective.

Wendler draws a distinction between training the movement or the muscle. 500lb shrugs is something to aim for if you are training the movement. Not the muscle.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[/quote]

The tribal tat reminds me of Ethan. Twins?[/quote]

More like his older brother who at least backs up his interwebz horseshit with a vid.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
WORLD'S STRONGEST TRAPS ... 1260 LB SHRUGS !!!! - YouTube [/quote]
he’s not even bearing the full weight

[quote]ESX wrote:
I’d say 90% of people i see training traps have terrible form.

Use DB or a machine, slow contraction, big squeeze with a controlled negative. Keeping as much of the tension on the traps the whole time. Doubt many would be able to shrug 500.[/quote]

Didn’t see this before. You’re exactly right.

[quote]EthanETE wrote:

Feel free to watch videos of Ronnie Colemas 760-800+ pound “Shrugs”.I suppose they’re no longer shrugs to you guys just because there isn’t a 5 second long negative,massive stretch,and heavy contraction,but that is just your opinion;but he had one of the most freaky insane physiques of all time with a 8x Mr.Olympia title behind him to back it up.
[/quote]

Despite Ronnie being one of the best of all time, he used form for his back exercises that didn’t work for me, and quite a few others, one of them being IFBB pro Marc Dugdale, who said that he didn’t get his back to grow with the form Ronnie used. Snappy form isn’t great for everyone and many decent or pro bodybuilders use a more deliberate form.

Weights go up and down in every lift. I wish I and the rest of us wish could just keep growing and growing from lifting.

[quote]

Admittingly though, in the defense of people who like the ‘good form’, Lee Haney was 8X Mr.Olympia as well,and he barely went over 2 plates, doing his shrugs extremely controlled behind the neck going for a heavy contraction,and bringing the bar very high up. [/quote]

Yup, just like a lot of other bodybuilders.

[quote]

As to the people asking how to do 400+ lb shrugs, I can’t really tell if you’re kidding or not. Assuming you deadlift 315pounds,you should be able to just add an extra plate minimum for your shrugs. It’s not hard to put alot of weight on the bar for them…[/quote]

I only wish everything was so easy. Like every bodybuilder who squats 405 for ten reps should be able to push press 315 for reps. You know it’s just one less plate per side and involves a fractional squat in the initial heave of a push press. Same thing with the leg press. Like if you can do 8 plates per side for 10 reps, you should easily be able to do 9 plates per side for 9 reps.

Face pulls for some upper back thickness to go along with the height? Works well for me.

that shrugged lateral raise might be good to do right after a set of shrugs. maybe with an even greater range of motion.
one of the reasons why i isolate my traps is so i can do lateral raises and not have them fatigue when i am trying to target my medial delts.
i hope i can get away with not doing heavy shrugs by doing farmers walks. i do keep a constant shrug position so my shoulders dont lower too much to give me neck problems(which i am prone to have).
overhead shrugs sound like it would hurt my shoulder. my shoulder is actualy very healthy, as long as i dont do anything overhead

sick. all i have to do is make the weights go up and down…? can i add a partial squat jump to my shrugs? i might be able to do 1260 lbs then finally…

Depends what you call BIG I suppose, bigger tham most no, bigger than the vast majority of people who routinely shrug big ass weights, yes.

Overhead shrugs are hot

[quote]eremesu wrote:
…500. i currently do 275 and for some reason i hope i never have to lift that much to get big traps.[/quote]

And why do you hope that? What is wrong with lifting heavy weights to get big traps? Not saying you need to.

As for needing big weights for big traps…dunno for everyone of course but heavy bb shrugs (700lbs+) didn’t give me Ronnie’s traps. Maybe I forgot to say the magic words “Peanuts, baby!”.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Good example of bad form right there! Dude actually had ok traps! Probably more genetic than good practise though!

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:
…500. i currently do 275 and for some reason i hope i never have to lift that much to get big traps.[/quote]

And why do you hope that? What is wrong with lifting heavy weights to get big traps? Not saying you need to.

As for needing big weights for big traps…dunno for everyone of course but heavy bb shrugs (700lbs+) didn’t give me Ronnie’s traps. Maybe I forgot to say the magic words “Peanuts, baby!”.[/quote]

Could someone define “big traps” vs “not so huge traps”?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:

As for needing big weights for big traps…dunno for everyone of course but heavy bb shrugs (700lbs+) didn’t give me Ronnie’s traps. Maybe I forgot to say the magic words “Peanuts, baby!”.[/quote]

Could someone define “big traps” vs “not so huge traps”?[/quote]

That is easy. My traps are not so huge and your traps are biig or better have reached the maximum size a natty can achieve.

Or that is what Gregron told me.