Want Big Traps do you have to Shrug Over 400?

that is basicaly the question. i ask because i heard a guy in class say he used to shrug nearly 500. i currently do 275 and for some reason i hope i never have to lift that much to get big traps.
i also do trap bar walks

to answer your question - no. no you do not.

No. Try checking out CT’s trap training shrug alternatives.
I forget what the one exercise is called. But you can’t use nearly that much weight, and is pretty strenuous.

_Mel

400 pound Shrugs are extremely light. I would put that number somewhere more in the 550-700 range for it to be accurate, if one can even draw such a statement/conclusion lol

3 sets of 10-15 DB shrugs, 3 sec squeeze at top…80-90lb DBs. I saw this recommended by JM once, and it is in fact the way he and Shelby train traps. It’s probably a good idea to do that instead.

[quote]EthanETE wrote:
400 pound Shrugs are extremely light. I would put that number somewhere more in the 550-700 range for it to be accurate, if one can even draw such a statement/conclusion lol[/quote]

Broski, what’s wrong with you? You forgot to post how much weight and the number of sets and reps you did in your most recent workout like you do in every other thread you post in. C’mon, huge let down…we are all very invested in your training!

Dont focus on the specific number, focus on doubling/tripling what you currently do over the next 2-3 YEARS and your traps will grow.

Also: Clean/Snatch grip High Pulls, low rep/heavy shrugs, high rep shrugs with pause

If you can double/triple your weight on these 3 exercises, traps you will have.

I’d say 90% of people i see training traps have terrible form.

Use DB or a machine, slow contraction, big squeeze with a controlled negative. Keeping as much of the tension on the traps the whole time. Doubt many would be able to shrug 500.

[quote]ESX wrote:
I’d say 90% of people i see training traps have terrible form.

Use DB or a machine, slow contraction, big squeeze with a controlled negative. Keeping as much of the tension on the traps the whole time. Doubt many would be able to shrug 500.[/quote]

99…true story

Try lateral raises with your shoulders shrugged. I ganked up my neck a bit and was looking for an alternative to heavy shrugs for a while and read an article by Wendler and he suggested it. Seems to work well. While maybe not specifically a trap exercise I find when I up the weight on seated DB cleans (say 50 - 60lbs) I get a carry over to traps as well. I also like shrugs from the starting military press position which I have seen CT do. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

[quote]EthanETE wrote:
400 pound Shrugs are extremely light. I would put that number somewhere more in the 550-700 range for it to be accurate, if one can even draw such a statement/conclusion lol[/quote]

Do you observe the form of most of those who “shrug” 400 to 700 pounds?

I do a hybrid between medial delt laterals and DB upright rows. Close at the bottom arcing to wider at the top. I don’t go all the way up I concentrate on feeling a squeeze in both upper traps and medial delts. I get a better pump like that than I ever have from shrugs.

Timed sets of shrugs are awesome.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]EthanETE wrote:

Do you observe the form of most of those who “shrug” 400 to 700 pounds?[/quote]

The form may be minimal or non-existent but there’s just far too much proof that heavy ass shrugs work. Maybe it’s the sheer fact that they are holding 700lbs that helps similar to farmers walks.

[quote]EthanETE wrote:

What sort of progression would you recommend for getting such beastly shrugging numbers? 5x5?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

The form may be minimal or non-existent but there’s just far too much proof that heavy ass shrugs work. Maybe it’s the sheer fact that they are holding 700lbs that helps similar to farmers walks.
[/quote]

Yeah.This.

Feel free to watch videos of Ronnie Colemas 760-800+ pound “Shrugs”.I suppose they’re no longer shrugs to you guys just because there isn’t a 5 second long negative,massive stretch,and heavy contraction,but that is just your opinion;but he had one of the most freaky insane physiques of all time with a 8x Mr.Olympia title behind him to back it up.

Most bodybuilders just bring the weight up and down,and remarkably it just grows and grows and grows; they don’t think about all these little things.

Admittingly though, in the defense of people who like the ‘good form’, Lee Haney was 8X Mr.Olympia as well,and he barely went over 2 plates, doing his shrugs extremely controlled behind the neck going for a heavy contraction,and bringing the bar very high up.

As to the people asking how to do 400+ lb shrugs, I can’t really tell if you’re kidding or not. Assuming you deadlift 315pounds,you should be able to just add an extra plate minimum for your shrugs. It’s not hard to put alot of weight on the bar for them…

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]EthanETE wrote:

Do you observe the form of most of those who “shrug” 400 to 700 pounds?[/quote]

[/quote]

Basically this.

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]EthanETE wrote:

What sort of progression would you recommend for getting such beastly shrugging numbers? 5x5?[/quote]

I can’t figure out why he gets to just start over on a new screen name. He’s still trolling with these stupid BS posts. I’d like to see his 400lb shrugs. This post makes no sense.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Don’t waste our time posting about large eggs in a thread about traps, DD!

lol