T Nation

Want a Thick Protein Shake?

If you like your protein shakes thick, try adding some xantham gum. Bob’s red mill makes some. Put 1/4 teaspoon in a blender with some ice and whatever else you usually throw in your protein shakes and you will get a seriously thick, delicious protein shake.

This stuff is awesome.

or just buy Metabolic Drive banana

i had 3 scoops of Metabolic Drive blended with some ice about a liter of water and a teaspoon of instant coffee talk about thick

ooh coffee! Cool idea. I just recently started blending stuff (always used a shaker just to save time). Now I’m looking for anything to throw in -lol. Did some Metabolic Drive Complete with ice cubes, nat peanut butter, honey and raw oats this morning!

S

A cup of raw spinach is awesome in shakes. Doesn’t taste strong, but packs a punch. My morning shake is a scoop of vanilla whey, low-carb chocolate MD, almond butter, spinach and stevia. Incredible.

[quote]MusclenFlo wrote:
A cup of raw spinach is awesome in shakes. Doesn’t taste strong, but packs a punch. My morning shake is a scoop of vanilla whey, low-carb chocolate MD, almond butter, spinach and stevia. Incredible.[/quote]

Spinach eh? I’m going to try that tomorrow.

Eggs will make an insanely thick shake. So thick that you have to eat it with a spoon if you want.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
MusclenFlo wrote:
A cup of raw spinach is awesome in shakes. Doesn’t taste strong, but packs a punch. My morning shake is a scoop of vanilla whey, low-carb chocolate MD, almond butter, spinach and stevia. Incredible.

Spinach eh? I’m going to try that tomorrow. [/quote]

spinich added to shakes really dont add much of a taste to it kind of different bt not bad.

I do it all the time mines chco muscle milk spinich and milk
sometimes raw oats ot often though

[quote]Nich wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
MusclenFlo wrote:

Spinach eh? I’m going to try that tomorrow.

spinich added to shakes really dont add much of a taste to it kind of different bt not bad.

I do it all the time mines chco muscle milk spinich and milk
sometimes raw oats ot often though

[/quote]

raw or frozen spinach?

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:

raw or frozen spinach?
[/quote]

Also, are you blending the spinach in a blender with everything else, or do you have to chop it up in a food processor? I can’t imagine my blender being able to make spinach drinkable, but it sounds awesome!

[quote]MusclenFlo wrote:
A cup of raw spinach is awesome in shakes. Doesn’t taste strong, but packs a punch. My morning shake is a scoop of vanilla whey, low-carb chocolate MD, almond butter, spinach and stevia. Incredible.[/quote]

That actually sounds good. I think I maybe lactose intolerant so I was looking for something to replace my yogurt and that just may do the trick. Thanks for sharing!!

~Justine

I like Coconut Oil to thicken up my shakes.

Raw spinach leaf. I have a standard Procter Silex blender and it works great. I just dump it in all with all my other ingredients, 12 ounces of water and a few ice cubes.

RAW spinich.

I tried frozen because tahts what i had at the time and it was horrible

I think they actually blanch the leaves before freezing and thats why it was nasty.

just chuck a handfull in there if it gets too think add a little more liquid
you would be surprised how easy spinich breaks down in the blender.

Thanks to those with the spinach suggestion. I am enjoying my first whey + olive oil + spinach shake right now. I’m really surprised at how good this is… although it looks gross. I see a lot more spinach consumption in my future now.

I put the frozen spinach in to my shakes.

For an interesting twist, in addition to the spinach, add pistachios and a touch of vanilla for a ‘green pistachio’ shake.

Another green shake: Along with spinach, add a box of Sugar Free Lime Jell-O.

Or, even a splash of ‘mint extract’, and a spoonful of Hershey’s Cocoa.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
i had 3 scoops of Metabolic Drive blended with some ice about a liter of water and a teaspoon of instant coffee talk about thick[/quote]

ha…been doing that the past few days too. the instant coffee gives a little kick and a nice flavor.

and yes ice thickens my smoothies and if they get too thick i pour little increments of water in until it balances out right.

j