Wannabe Warriors

In lieu of Alpha posting workouts for us, this thread is for us to post what we are doing. Hopefully we can try to better each other’s workouts and maybe, just maybe, Alpha will tell us what he thinks of them.

pretty good idea you have here…I’m down to post some of my workouts

I just started following his old blog before attempting the 1500block wods.
I did this one the other day and I am certainly feeling it. It was a fantastic workout.

Insert:

15 Front squats 135lbs
15 Weighted Dips 90 lbs
12 Front Squats 135 lbs
12 Weighted dips 90 lbs
9 Front Squats 135 lbs
9 weighted dips 90 lbs

9ish mins

Strength/metcon: With as little rest as possible

100 Pull-ups 6:36
Row 1 mile
100 BB Bench Presses 135lbs +100 GHD Sit-ups (alternated between the 2, when I crapped out on bench Id GHD)
Row 2 miles
100 BB Squats 155* 9:47

• On the Squats set a stop watch and at the top of every minute re-rack the bar, drop and do 10 push-ups and 5 squat jumps, then get back under the bar and continued…until all 100 reps are finished.

Alpha had it originally as run but weather did not permit such activity. He also had a 40#db overhead press which like a jack ass I completely left out of the wod and now feel shame. Sonofabitch…
Doing another one tomorrow hopefully, DOMS is raping almost every fiber of my body.

I’m going for a high volume approach to my training so my program is

A -
10x
pressups
diamond pressups
triangle pressups
Alternating 1 leg pressups
decline pressups
knee check to side
knee check to front
Pike pressups
Judo Pressups
One arm pressups

5x
wide pullups
pullups
neutral grip
wide chins
chins

B -
I always run on B days and do that before the training after of -

12x box sq, regular, prisoner, sumo, side to side, Bulgarian split, Hindu, Jump squat, static hold (max).

12x Situps, half sits, knee to elbows, flutter kicks (3 per count), OH plate Situps, leg raises, bag shoulders, ab walk out, Plank (35s) side plank (35s each)

every other day (A-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a etc) as it gets easier I will add 10 reps to the total count (1 extra rep per movement)

I’m abit pushed for what I can do in my bedroom but I really enjoy bodyweight only training!

I stole the idea of inserts and extracts so my typically workout is something like this -

warm up

insert-
inserts for me are usually a barbell type complete, 5-7 exercises, 3 sets upping the weight each time, reps go 14,12,10

my workout

extracts-
this is always some conditioning type work, its been nice lately so ive been doing a lot of hill sprints or just sprints outside. with shitty weather i usually pyramid something like weighted burprees + db push press from 1 rep to 10 and back to 1

Really great workouts in here guys! I may just be stealing things from all of YOU!!

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
I just started following his old blog before attempting the 1500block wods.
I did this one the other day and I am certainly feeling it. It was a fantastic workout.

Insert:

15 Front squats 135lbs
15 Weighted Dips 90 lbs
12 Front Squats 135 lbs
12 Weighted dips 90 lbs
9 Front Squats 135 lbs
9 weighted dips 90 lbs

9ish mins

Strength/metcon: With as little rest as possible

100 Pull-ups 6:36
Row 1 mile
100 BB Bench Presses 135lbs +100 GHD Sit-ups (alternated between the 2, when I crapped out on bench Id GHD)
Row 2 miles
100 BB Squats 155* 9:47

• On the Squats set a stop watch and at the top of every minute re-rack the bar, drop and do 10 push-ups and 5 squat jumps, then get back under the bar and continued…until all 100 reps are finished.

Alpha had it originally as run but weather did not permit such activity. He also had a 40#db overhead press which like a jack ass I completely left out of the wod and now feel shame. Sonofabitch…
Doing another one tomorrow hopefully, DOMS is raping almost every fiber of my body. [/quote]

That’s some serious work! Is this the type of stuff you do on a daily basis? I’m wondering how to recover from something like this without impacting a regular lifting schedule.

[quote]Bob-P wrote:

A -
10x
pressups
diamond pressups
triangle pressups
decline pressups
knee check to side
knee check to front
Pike pressups
Judo Pressups
One arm pressups

5x
wide pullups
pullups
neutral grip
wide chins
chins

B -

12x box sq, regular, prisoner, sumo, side to side, Bulgarian split, Hindu, Jump squat, static hold (max).

12x Situps, half sits, knee to elbows, flutter kicks (3 per count), OH plate Situps, leg raises, bag shoulders, ab walk out, Plank (35s) side plank (35s each)

every other day (A-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a etc) as it gets easier I will add 10 reps to the total count (1 extra rep per movement)

I’m abit pushed for what I can do in my bedroom but I really enjoy bodyweight only training!

[/quote]

This has business travel written all over it.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
I stole the idea of inserts and extracts so my typically workout is something like this -

warm up

insert-
inserts for me are usually a barbell type complete, 5-7 exercises, 3 sets upping the weight each time, reps go 14,12,10

my workout

extracts-
this is always some conditioning type work, its been nice lately so ive been doing a lot of hill sprints or just sprints outside. with shitty weather i usually pyramid something like weighted burprees + db push press from 1 rep to 10 and back to 1[/quote]

What does your workout look like and how long does it take to complete everything?

I meant to post again last night but something came up and I wasn’t able to get back online. I follow a “regular” lifting program and do conditioning work once or twice a week. I’ve been slacking a bit lately but need to pick it up.

Saturday I did 15 sets of 10 burpees with a 40lb vest with 1 minute rest between sets - 23 minutes - 150 reps. Nothing exciting but it accomplished what I needed to.

I plan on getting back to sprinting again soon too.

I’m curious how everyone manages recovery from lifting and conditioning and not negatively impacting one with the other.

Today:

Insert: 600 step ups with a 20# vest and 30# backpack= 50lbs total.

Got suckered into doing a sprint wod should have backed down but figured what the F:
10x tire flips (300lb tire)
10x C2B pull ups
3 rounds = 3:01

Strength super sets (by this time I was shot but grabbed my balls and pushed thru. Since I know my strength was limited I focused on tension and form, basically more “feeling the fibers” during the reps. I think I quit the strength section 4 times total.

1a. Bent over row 6x5
1b. Incline BP 6x8
1c. dragon flys

2a. Front squat 5x5
2b. Muscle up 3x5 (grip and strength blew out on me so I dropped to: C2B pull ups 2x10
2c. GHD back ext

Extract: 400 steps up same weight as above.

Steps were awesome, first 600 left me with such a quad pump it was butter nuts.

Wilba: recovery? basically put in the time for it. For me its beyond important because if I get tight I get pain. I mainly have some hamstring glute tightness that is causing some low back issues so Im constantly making love to a LAX ball or foam rolling or stretching. I used some Alpha motivation and read something he wrote that like "saying your sore from yesterdays workout is a pull shit excuse to not do todays. I kept that in my mind through the entire work out. Oh yes that entire wod was performed at the end of an 18hr fast with just oodle amount of BCAAs. I coach CF so I stretch during classes sometimes and while cooking or making phone calls. As I tell me clients “if something hurts bad enough you will stretch, ice, massage 3x a day…if not…it clearly doesnt hurt bad enough…” You have to dial everything in; food and sleep first then alter training around that IMO. I posted on another forum here how you can sleep your way lean, now people are giving me shit for it. But recovery is huge.

I like Alpha’s set ups. His warm ups (inserts) IMO are organized to where its usually body weight and really gets you warmed up. If you have to warm up for 600 step ups…i dont know what to tell you…that shits like built into or DNA to pick up a load and walk. From what youre asking I can see a lot of the recovery coming from soft tissue work and nutrition. I jumped head first into Alpha’s wods after a long rough wod of my own. I feel fan-fuking-tastic and I am loving what I am doing but I can tell I am kicking hard to keep my head about water. Today was the 1st wall I felt like I hit, no more in the tank, so now I have to system reboot. I have bee eating for the past 1hr about 80g protein probably 80-90g carb, yesterday I tinkered and dropped low carb- under 40g for sure- so now I know I need to shift gears. Il stretch and foam roll later in class and hit bed early with some ice before hand. As Alpha told me recently when I asked him about my calves being tight “stretch for 10 mins” I aint never done that, I made it 5. Just goes to show its an every changing game. Since I feel that with every step my left glute is detaching from my pelvic floor Im icing and stretching a whole Oodle today. I like Alpha’s motivation and pushing but you (and I) have to be smart and push accordingly, live to fight another day. You can definitely push yourself but doing it the wrong way can cause you to get benched. As we were told in CF for some guys these limits dont force you to have a shitty workout but can be the difference between loss of game, loss of mission or loss of life. Scale everything to your own athletic ability. Build up from there.

Alpha: I thought this may tickle your fancy:
WOD: Kalsu
On the minute:

Complete 5 burpees and perform max rep 135 lbs thrusters on the minute.

The goal is to complete 100 total thrusters.

*At the beginning of every minute perform 5 burpees, for the rest of the minute perform as many thrusters as you can during that minute. At the beginning of the next minute perform 5 burpees and then max rep thrusters and so on until you reach 100 total thrusters.

I believe it starts with the 5 burpees from the get go. XO

That Kalsu sounds BRUTAL! i am going to have to come up with my own version of that!

Hey Wilba, how are you dealing with no football? Its killing me.

Right now I am following the Juggernaut Method so for the phase I am on right now I do 5x10 @ 60% of my training max for bench/squat/dead/military and usually 2-3 accessory exercises with sets/reps closer to 3-4 sets 10-15 reps. My actually workout is usually 45 mins to an hour and with the insert and extract its between 1h30mins-2 hours. I do rucking 4 mornings a week for 45 minutes as well.

As far as recovery, I really have found bumping up my cals mainly through protein (some extra carbs) has really helped. Today after my workout I had (club) wrestling practice, so I had a shake prior to practice and after I had 4 massive burgers I made. I foam roll my ass off too which I am sure helps.

Morning workout
500 meter row
1 mile run
squats
135, 225, 275X5 305X5 335X5
10 minute AMRAP
75 lb bar
10 lunges
5 presses
1 mile run

Afternoon
pushed the prowler around

02/28

A. DYNAMIC WARM-UP/SELF-MYOFASCIAL RELEASE

B. INSERT
Two Rounds of the following:
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 50 jumping Jacks
:30 Seconds Rest
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 40 bodyweight Squats
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 10 burpees
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 120 Flutter Kicks
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 40 Push-ups
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 20 jumping Lunges
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 08 burpees
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 20 mountain Climbers
:60 seconds rest

C. STRENGTH
1a.Back Squat - Bar X 15, 135 X 10, 160 X 5, 240 X 5, 270 X 5
1b.Chin-up(BW) - 5 x 10
1c.Dip(BW) - 5 x 15

2a. Incline Bench - Bar x 15, 115 x 5, 170 x 5, 190 x 5
2b. DB Row - 5 x 10
2c. Hanging Leg Raise - 5 x 10

D. EXTRACT
Two Rounds of the following:
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 50 jumping Jacks
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 40 bodyweight Squats
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 120 Flutter Kicks
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 40 Push-ups
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 20 jumping Lunges
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 08 burpees
You have :60 Seconds to Complete 20 mountain Climbers
:60 seconds rest

• If someone can explain/post a video of the fighting get-up, I would gladly appreciate it.

Die empty.

hipsr4running - point taken - I need to get more sleep.

USMCpoolee - It’s like a death in the family every year when football ends. I’m getting by with 2 things, spring is coming and my Knicks have finally risen from the dead. I’m no hurry to skip spring and summer but will be crazed for football by the time September rolls around.

Some really good ideas in here already. I just don’t see how I can fit all of this in. I might need to add an evening workout. I have an hour or slightly more if needed in the morning to get my work done.

[quote]Wilba wrote:

[quote]Bob-P wrote:

A -
10x
pressups
diamond pressups
triangle pressups
decline pressups
knee check to side
knee check to front
Pike pressups
Judo Pressups
One arm pressups

5x
wide pullups
pullups
neutral grip
wide chins
chins

B -

[/quote]

This has business travel written all over it.[/quote]

I am really enjoying it thus far, always pumped to f*ck too haha

03/01

A. SELF MYOFASCIAL RELEASE/ DYNAMIC WARM-UP

B.INSERT
*Barbell Complex (60 lbs)
**2 rounds of 6/5/4/3/2/1 rep sequence, no rest.
1.Deadlift
2.Bent Barbell Rows
3.Hang Cleans
4.Military Press
5.Front Squat
6.Back Squat
7.Good Morning

C. METCON
50 step-ups
30 Decline Push Ups
Rest 30 sec
Repeat 4x

D. STRENGTH
1a. Deadlift - 135 x 10, 135 x 10, 275 x 5, 295 x 5, 315 x 5
1b. Dip (BW) - 5 x 15
1c. Chin-up (BW) - 5 x 10

2a. Standing Military Press - bar x 15, bar x 15, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5
2b. Bent Barbell Row - 135 x 10, 135 x 10, 135 x 10, 155 x 10, 155 x 10
2c. Hanging Knee Rasie - 5 x 15

E. EXTRACT
*Barbell Complex (40 lbs)
**2 rounds of 6/5/4/3/2/1 rep sequence, no rest.
1.Deadlift
2.Bent Barbell Rows
3.Hang Cleans
4.Military Press
5.Front Squat
6.Back Squat
7.Good Morning

You guys are all animals in your own right. Very impressive.

Seeing some crazy stuff in here…135lb thrusters on the minute with 5 burpees sounds like a painfull way to spend a day…

Morning
1 mile run
bench 135, 185, 235x5, 270x5, 305x5
db incline 3 sets with 65 lb
ab work
Afternoon
3 rounds fight gone bad