T Nation

WannaBe’s Last Year Of “DYEL?”

Didn’t realize you had switched gears. Is the diet getting any easier? Coach being a bit more accommodating? Starting to like the workouts?

Yea man. When I hired him I guess 2-3 weeks ago or how ever long it’s been is when I made the switch to gaining. I wish I’d have taken a week to eat normal before doing so lol, went from a pretty strict diet immediately into a super strict diet.

His diet is tough. I’m starving until about 5:30pm, and then uncomfortably full from then on out and eating until I go to sleep. I usually eat my last meal in bed lol. The roughest part is being so damn hungry all day while doing Manual labor. He told me last check in he was gonna make some changes to diet but nothing yet, when I check in this Saturday I’m gonna bring it up again.

He has been pretty cool after I told him exactly why I couldn’t do certain exercises. At first I just told him “hey I try not to work with straight bars as they hurt” or something to that effect, but after telling him why and that I can’t do them anymore, he was more than happy to let me swap them up.

I am starting to like the workouts! I honestly think just from seeing the progress in the mirror and the weight/rep progression it has made me enjoy it. It’s been tough so not go overboard with certain things and follow his plan to a T, but I have.

Edit: I forgot to mention, his leg days are brutal. On paper they look so easy but every time I step into the gym I’ve been giving it 110% trying to beat my weight and reps from the previous session, leg days now scare me. I’ve never been scared of a workout and now I am :joy:

5 Likes

I am man! It’s a nice mental break to know that if you can just muster enough will power to follow the plan everything should work out :joy:

1 Like

Leg day!

Took yesterday off so I could get that out of the way and workout all weekend as the gf is out of town and I have no life :man_shrugging:

Seated leg curl
155 x 12
115 x 15 +15 partials at failure

Hack squat
465 x 12
Following 3 sets have 20 sec rest
500 x 6 445 x 6 375 x 6

Lying leg curl
160 x 14

RDL’s
325 x 10
325 x 10
225 x 10

Back squat
135 x 10
235 x 10
245 x 10

Single leg extensions no rest (each leg-)
80 x 12
80 x 12
80 x 10

Quick calf & abs

4 Likes

This must be a different hack squat than the one my gym has lol. Mine the weight feels almost as hard as a regular squat. Still those drop sets must have had your legs on fire.

Idk, I’ve never used one before. It’s heavy AF but because your locked into a set path I think it’s way easier than squatting. I’m also giving it everything I’ve got lol I haven’t seen anyone use more weight so far though, so that makes me feel good.

Because I’ve never used one before I have zero reference on what is a respectable weight, I tried to google it to make myself feel better when I first started using it and realized how hard it was lol, but I can’t find anything.

Edit:
@mnben87 i should also clarify, in case you missed it in the first few leg day posts I made the 500lbs includes the heavy ass sled. On mine just the sled itself is 105lbs, so it’s only 395lbs worth of plates added. I specified the first couple times so my coach would know but have since stopped

Glad to see you crushing your legs
That’s a big workout

1 Like

Thanks man, I feel like it looks simple on paper, but damn dude. Leg days scare me now. I actually started to get an adrenaline dump on the way to the gym thinking about the work out.

There’s a reason I tend to avoid high rep leg work … it’s scary

Heck yea it is! Squatting at the end of all that makes me feel like a little girl :joy: every rep tries to crush me lol

Ours is about that weight too, but I feel 3 plates a side on there is almost like 3 plates on the bar. IDK, maybe I just suck at them.

1 Like

I like to tell myself I could squat as much as I hack squat if it wasn’t painful/I had better technique. I really don’t know what I could squat right now. I started to up the weight a lot more but got to thinking about this is a marathon and not a sprint… the weights I’m using still suck due to them being at the end, and I’m steadily progressing… so just gonna ride that train and continue to up the weights every session.

2 Likes

Pretty meh back day. Slept like trash last night. Got ready to go to the gym and got called out for work before I was all the way out of the driveway, so that kinda took the wind from my sails lol still gotter did though. Had a check in with my coach today, really hoping we get to up the calories. Daddy wants to grow.

He did approve a cheat meal though… thinking that’ll be tonight. Lots of pizza and maybe a beer.

BOR’s
245 x 10
205 x 15

Prime lat pull downs
245 x 12
200 x 12

Prime rows
275 x 9
230 x 12

Single arm seated rows
205 x 13
175 x 14

Single arm dumbbell preacher
35 x R-11 L-15 R-8
30 x L-15 R-10 R-10

T-bar rows SS alt DB curls / Pull overs
105 x - 25’s (DB) - p/o’s (80lb)
105 x 11
105 x 9

3 Likes

What a damn good workout. Slept like trash, fell asleep on the couch for 30 minutes today which is not like me, doubled up on Pre workout and set some PR’s!

And the best news!?!?!? Coach added ~100g of carbs to my meals!!! I’ve maintained 201 the last 2/3 weeks and now we are starting to push more calories and grow baby!!! Super stoked. Like kid in a candy store with a $100 bill stoked

Chest press
225 x 11
195 x 14

Seated cable flys
65 x 11
45 x 12

Incline iso hammer press
90 x 11
70 x 14

Dumbbell lateral raise
35 x 17
30 x 19

Iso hammer OHP
90 x 9.5
77.5 x 10.5

Reverse pec deck
200 x 20
200 x 17
200 x 15

Pec deck SS tricep machine (prime) SS machine lateral raises

Peck dec
227.5 x 15
227.5 x 11

Prime push downs
95 x 15
95 x 12

Standing lateral raise machine
120 x 17
120 x 17

Abs - kings chair leg raise things/crunch machine 2 sets each

8 Likes

Hell of a leg day. That first working set of hack squats took my lungs away from me. Started strong and around rep 7 I really started to struggle getting my chest open and deep breaths of air, by the time I hit twelve I was about to pass out lol gotta work on that. Still couldn’t get all the way calmed down by the time it was the 20 second test sets and just got gassed out. It was also hot in the gym today too, maybe that contributed

Seated leg curl
160 x 11
120 x 18 + 15 partials after failure

Hack squat
485 x 12 - had more, couldn’t breathe
Following 3 sets have 20 sec rest
465 x 6 465 x 3, left it in the hole on the 4th no 3rd set

Lying leg curl
165 x 13

RDL’s
325 x 10
325 x 10
225 x 10

Back squat
145 x 10
245 x 10
275 x 10

Single leg extensions - no rest (each leg)
80 x 12
80 x 12
80 x 12

Standing calf raises
2 plates x 20
3 plates x 17

9 Likes

OOOH YEAAH!!!

What are the macros at now?

1 Like

No idea man. He lays out all my meals with weights and I just follow that. Haven’t been curious enough to add it all up :man_shrugging: I might towards the end though just to see where I end up.

1 Like

Pretty meh back day but I went and gave it my all! My coach added an arm day! Better watch out @mnben87 , gonna grow some baby pythons!

BOR
245 x 11
215 x 12

Prime pull downs
250 x 13
215 x 12

Prime rows
275 x 10
230 x 13

Single arm seated cable rows
210 x 12
175 x 16

Single arm dumbbell preacher
35 x R-9 L-12 R-8
30 x R- L-13

T-bar rows SS alt DB curls / Pull overs
105 x - 25’s (DB) - p/o’s (80lb)
105 x 11
105 x 10

3 Likes

Great work!

Why stop at baby pythons? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lol baby pythons is a goal that is still pretty lofty :joy:. You forget the title of this journal means something :joy:

2 Likes