Wannabe LEAN! 2020 T-ransformation

Any tips for working off the floor strength on sumo?

Deficit work is usually the go-to for sticking points on the floor. Stand on a couple plates, or load the bar up with 35ā€™s or 25ā€™s (provided you donā€™t only have bumpers, which are all the same diameter).

Yea I only have bumpers. Thinking my hamstrings are lacking. I really want a lying leg curl machine but might start doing some RDLā€™s to target them. Iā€™ve never done anything to directly work my hammys.

1 Like

Sunday is my programmed rest day, but I didnā€™t feeling like resting.

Went kayaking with the wife this morning to remind me that my elbows hate me :joy:

RDL
Bar x 15
75 x 10
105 x 10
135 x 10
165 x 10
195 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10

First time doing these. The little hamstrings enjoyed them. Will fit these in somewhere.

Pull ups
Elbows said no more.

Rear delt raise thingy done with dumbbells, each shoulder received the following thrashing:

10 x 20
15 x 20
20 x 30
35 x 10
45 x 12
45 x 12

Got tired of recording everything but finished out with some dumbbell curls and ezbar curls then washed 2 cars.

Diet is so jacked. Guys at work make fun of me because when I was bulking I ate nothing but chicken breast and white rice, never cheated. I start cutting and Iā€™m like a morbidly obese guy eating his last meal every time. Hopefully itā€™s back in check now. Bought more chicken tits and a ton of white rice tonight.

PULL UPS

BORā€™s

Bar x 20
75 x 12
105 x 10
135 x 10
165 x 1
195 x 1
225 x 1ā€¦ish. Definitely some body English lol
165 x 10

Dumbbell curls

10 x 20
15 x 12
20 x 10
25 x 10

Barbell curl (oly bar)

45 x 10
75 x 6
85 x 5
45 x 15 (reverse grip, who knows what this works, but it burned so thatā€™s good)

Preacher EZcurl bars

50 x 12
50 x 10

Triceps pull downs (flat bar)

30 x 12
45 x 12
60 x 12
75 x 10

Training Tuesday (chest shoulders) didnā€™t go well. Just felt like crap, no strength or desire to be doing anything let alone working out. Ended up quitting before the half way point.

Then yesterday I got sick with something that wanted everything inside me outside. Lost 6.5 pounds in one night. Down to 209 now :joy:

Feeling almost normal again. Worked out briefly just doing some random exercises to get the blood flowing again.

Tomorrow will be leg day and hopefully Iā€™ll be close to a normal session. Not sure what I had but it completely wrecked me

I was extremely excited about leg day but knew right from the body weight warm ups it was gonna be horrendous.

Iā€™ve recently been seeing a sports doctor and he has found the root cause of my squat issues. I only had a couple days doing his strengthening exercises and could already tel a difference.
Unfortunately, like a dummy I stopped everything while I was sick. Big mistake. Itā€™s like I went backwards. Hopefully some more work will make the next leg day better!

Did back squats up to 195 and had to quit out of hip pain :sob::cry:.

Did trap bar up to 115 and had to quit as well :sob:

Decided Iā€™d destroy my biā€™s and triā€™s and contemplate life and did some self loathing and threw an awesome pitty party.

I also think Iā€™m gonna stop ā€œcuttingā€. I never feel good in the gym, the amount of weight Iā€™d have to lose to ditch the man boobs and love handles is absolutely absurd.
I think Iā€™m gonna get a DEXA scan this week, play with calories and try and stay right at or less than 200 calories above maintenance and see what that feels like. I miss feeling confident in the gym already.
Iā€™d love nothing more than to be fit and look like an pro board shorts wearin fool but I donā€™t think my ego is ready.

Killer workout today. I felt like I could go on forever but I had to stop and get ready for work :cry:

PULL UPS
4 as wide grip and my rack will allow
4 same wide grip

Bent Over Rows
Bar x 20
75 x 20
75 x 15
105 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10
145 x 10
105 x 20

TRX straps Face Pulls

Hammer curls

A metric ton of them, no higher than 25ā€™s

BB curls

Had to keep reps around 6 because my arms were on fiiiiiire. Burned so good.

The super wide grip pull ups were intense. Made my lats look like basketballs while I was going them. Makes me wonder what working harder on my normal grip pull ups.

2 Likes

What was the problem with your squat?

What did the Doctor say to do?

He used a bunch of big names and names of tendons and muscles but there is a tendon and muscle weakness thatā€™s on top of my leg by my groin that inflamed from being super weak.

I sit down with back straight and raise my knee up and hold it for 20 seconds. Each leg 12 times. Then I air squat and hold the position slightly above parallel for 15 seconds 6 times. Do that twice a day. When I first started it made a world of difference immediately.

Problem was when o got in the hole it was excruciating pain in my groin area radiating towards the outside of my hip.

I also have weak glutes and donā€™t use them on squats and am doing some single leg glute bridge things.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I hope next leg day is better.

1 Like

Thanks man. I hope it is too. Squat is my one exercise I love. I just want a huge squat but itā€™s been tough trying to make progress with the pain. Time will tell!

Glute issues and hip troubles are pretty common around here. People are getting over them all the time. Different dudes have told me that the moves youā€™re doing have worked for them. Plus youā€™re working with a Professional. Youā€™re on the right track, and will be squatting big in no time!

2 Likes

Your hip flexor? I used to have terrible hip flexor pain in the hole (no homo). Hip flexor stretches also help. Get down like youā€™re doing mountain climbers. Put one foot by your hands, bent at the knee, and lock out the other leg behind you so the only point of contact with the ground is your toe, then drop your hips towards the ground.

Do not do these stretches prior to squatting. Do them after squats and on your non-leg days.

I thought it was hip flexors too, so sidnthe internet and my chiro. He gave me all the stretches. I did them religiously and it just got worse. Thatā€™s what led me to the sports doctor. He did an extremely through check out, tons of range of motions tests, tons of measurements, lots of tests and then told me everything I was doing was making it much worse lol

1 Like

Ah, the classic internet misdiagnosis, which I just put on terrific display! Disregard what I said and listen to the professional.

Haha tell me about it. Everything I could read pointed to that. The fact that all this information is a click away makes going down the rabbit hole easy and dangerous. I was honestly blown away at what all he did. He had me lie down and he did a bunch of range of motion test with just one leg and he was like, you squat with a wide stance donā€™t you? I was like yesā€¦ he said I wouldnā€™t be able to squat narrow stance with how my hips were. He also said he could tell I DLā€™d sumo and that I had pain off the floor in sumo, which I do. He gave me exercises to fix that too. Dude was like a wizard. Apparently heā€™s a real professional and doesnā€™t play one on YouTube :joy:

1 Like

The thing about it is, we can give suggestions, but even if someone IS a medical professional they canā€™t diagnose someone over the internet. @FlatsFarmer passed along an awesome video about hip mobility and hip shift that helped me diagnose and address some problems with myself through various mobility tests, but thatā€™s about the best I can do for myself.

Well if you have the option to see a sports doc I highly recommend it.

1 Like