Wanna Talk Program Design?

Looking for somebody to bounce some ideas off of…Currently doing a four day split still utilizing some olympic lifts, I have a ton of mobility/flexibility issues to fix, and have a lot of ideas but need some wisdom. Anybody willing to critically analyze my crazy thoughts, PM me.

Suppose I’ll elaborate a little more…I’d like to do some 88+ singles, doubles or triples on day one for back squat and for deadlift on day 3. I’d like to utilize a major assistance exercise on day one like a front squat at 65-80% and then follow up with unilateral and posterior chain. Day three maybe good morning or rdl 65-80%, the unilateral and posterior chain. Lower days would also include vertical pulling.

Bench would be similar with some singles, doubles or triples at 88%+. major assistance may potentially be incline, overhead, board, floor, etc at 65-80%. The rest of the session would include horizontal pulling, upper back, and heavy triceps.

The second pressing day could be incline, repititon, speed (not sure what to do here with this day). More horizontal pulling, upper back and triceps.

Mobility issues include: hip flexor tightness and adductor issues after intense squatting sessions, poor interal rotation of the hip having trainined hard for the past few years, left shoulder impingement, some right elbow tendonitis after heavy tricep work.

So much to do, trying to make it all fit.

[quote]cdub1224 wrote:
Suppose I’ll elaborate a little more…I’d like to do some 88+ singles, doubles or triples on day one for back squat and for deadlift on day 3. I’d like to utilize a major assistance exercise on day one like a front squat at 65-80% and then follow up with unilateral and posterior chain. Day three maybe good morning or rdl 65-80%, the unilateral and posterior chain. Lower days would also include vertical pulling.

Bench would be similar with some singles, doubles or triples at 88%+. major assistance may potentially be incline, overhead, board, floor, etc at 65-80%. The rest of the session would include horizontal pulling, upper back, and heavy triceps.

The second pressing day could be incline, repititon, speed (not sure what to do here with this day). More horizontal pulling, upper back and triceps.

Mobility issues include: hip flexor tightness and adductor issues after intense squatting sessions, poor interal rotation of the hip having trainined hard for the past few years, left shoulder impingement, some right elbow tendonitis after heavy tricep work.

So much to do, trying to make it all fit. [/quote]

Post your current split. Also is your goal to compete powerlifting?

Current training:

Pre Lift: Everyday
Foam Rolling, lacrosse ball upper/lower
Activiation

Monday

1 Hang clean
2 back or front squat ss w/ pull ups, chin ups
3 unilateral ss w/ rows
4. External Rotations ss w/ core, heavy carries

Tuesday

1. db Swings ss w/ ab roll outs
  2. Bench ss w/ core
  3. rdl ss w/ db incline or military
  4. ghr or leg curl ss w/ triceps and biceps

Thursday

1. power clean
  2. single leg squat or deadlift ss w/ pull ups or chin ups
  3. multi directional unilateral ss w/ rows
  4. external rotations ss w/ core, heavy carries

Friday

1. db swings ss w/ ab roll outs
  2. incline ss w/ core
  3. single leg rdl ss w/ military or push ups
  4. ghr or leg curl ss w/ triceps and biceps

Its very pre-hab “corrective-esque” my work capactiy is increasing just by eliminating substantial rest intervals. However, I feel like I’m not lifting nearly enough to achieve maximal strength. I want to be much stronger, lean, and most importantly not hurt so much.

If you want to achieve maximal strength in the big lifts, put them first. Examples: Squats, Deadlifts, Pressing motions. Every assistance movement in your program must be evaluated: Is it necessary? is it contributing to your gains? Everyone has different weaknesses so its up to you to figure that out. As far as rest intervals, don’t be afraid to take time to catch your breath between sets. Strength training is not cardio, so don’t put too much emphasis on cutting out rest (5-8 minutes between sets isn’t bad). Do Conditioning-Swim, Sprint, keep carrying heavy shit for distance and/or time. You said “I feel like I’m not lifting nearly enough to achieve maximal strength”…If you mean you’re not in the gym for a long enough time forget that notion: its about short and intense workouts for maximal strength (bulgarians trained in 45 minute stretches, many sessions per day). If you meant weight, then UP THE WEIGHT!
REMEDY FOR PAIN:

1. Warm Up and stretch before training. Always.
  2. Warm up with the bar, gradually adding weight for a few warm up sets.
  3. If your muscles aren’t warm, you’re not ready to lift. (refer to step 2).
  4. Stretch post workout. Arms, legs, everything. Always.
  5. If all else fails, take time off and let your body heal. It may be trying to tell you something.

There’s some good articles concerning rehab. There’s a really good thread in the 35+ forum about rehabbing and mobility and other good stuff along those lines.

If you’ve got really severe issues, you’ll want to address those before trying a full out PL routine. Depending on your issues, the neanderthal no more might be good for you. Basically, you’re going to have do a lot of researching to find the answers to lots of questions.

And the more you learn, the smarter your questions will be, and the more help you can get by asking questions on a forum like this one.

[quote]cdub1224 wrote:

So much to do, trying to make it all fit. [/quote]

Your issues seem more like normal wear and tear, I wouldn’t devote my whole training efforts to correcting them… Make your strength program a strength program imo, and all the rehab stuff can be a good warmup or after training or something.

Sucks to be having wear and tear at 28. Today i started with some rolling, a dynamic warm up and some general mobility and band hip/adductor activation. Squatting wasn’t too bad, but it was the first time in 6-8 months I squatted onto a 12" box. The hip rotators were crying!