Wanna Be Powerlifter

Happy birthday, brotha. Set some 18 year PRs

Thanks! And i did! I set a " rep PR" . 117,5kg for a double. Heaviest ive ever squatted for a double.
Never hit more then 115 for a double.

Link to the video! :smiley:

1 Like

Week 5 - High Intensity Strength Day 1
Squat

Testing week! This a exciting week, bin building up /looking forward to this week.
Got 3 training days this week. Today was squat/bench.

If i hit 1 rep on the set, i don’t increase my 1rm.
2 i increase it by 1,03%
3 i increase it by 1,06%
4 i increase it by 1,09%

So without more talk, lets get into the workout…

Warm-Up

• Stretching/Band work/Leg swings.
  • Had to wait 30 minutes before a barbell became available. Gym needs to buy more barbells…
  • 40KG x 5
  • 60KG x 5
  • 70KG x 1
  • 90KG x 1
  • 100KG x 3
  • 105KG x 3
  • 110KG x 1

MAIN SETS:

• Squat 120KG x1-4
  • hit 4 So i get to increase the weight by 1,09%
  • I’m 100% positive i could have done 2 more reps. But since it was max of 4 i decided to just do 4.
    120x4 - YouTube

Does the form look good?

Deadlifts
90KG x 4
95KG x 4
97,5KG x 2

Bench portion of the workout-

• *80KG 10 sets of 3.
  • This was hard, i tried to do them as good as possible, but my ass did come of the bench on some reps.
  • Last set felt 10/10 and it flew up with good form, so i wanted to do 1 heavy single, tried 85Kg flew up so i tried 90KG. Missed it halfway. I’m 100% sure i could have done it if i didnt the 10 sets of 3 first. Maby even 95kg I’ll see.

Extra’s:
Superset: 3x20

• Pull through’s W/

• Tricep pushdown

• Hammer curls 3x a bunch

5 weeks out!

1 Like

Can I ask how that’s different from hypers?

Sorry to butt in. But you have my support too! Aspiring lady powerlifter. Getting ready to compete probably next year. Good luck!!!

1 Like

Here is a video for you

There are like three videos of glute ham raise on YouTube, so I don’t blame you for not knowing the exercise

GHR is a great exercise - even though it is a hard one for most people

If I were you I would do both GHR and reverse hypers

1 Like

Todays training:

So, No real programming today. But since my brother wanted me to come with him i did.
Anyways, I did some back, not to hard since deadlifts on friday.

I’ve decided i’ll just rerun this program for the rest of the year. Leaving me with about 6 cycles of it.
If everything goes as planned, i’ll increase my Squat/Deadlift a whole bunch! Bench i’m not to sure.
Aslong as i can get the 100KG mark at the end of 2017 i’m happy.

Depending on how i feel i might re-try a 90KG bench press today. I think i can do it.

Back:

• Chin ups 4x8 5th set amrap
  • Barbell row 3x8-12
  • Back raises totall off 150 reps
  • V-Grip pull down 3x8-12
  • Single arm dumbell row 3x8-12
  • Reverse pec deck Super set w/ Band pull aparts. 3x8 and 150 totall band pull aparts.

Bicep/shoulder

• Dumbell shoulder press 5x5

• laterall raises 3x8

• Ez-Curl bar 3x8

• Hammer curl 3x8

I’m slowly starting to think about meet plans/goals.
I’ll come back on this, after my PR set on friday.
Since my previous meet was pretty “bad” my main goal is to go in and improve my total, and go 9/9. I’m not planning on winning/breaking records. Maby i can win some meets next year.

1 Like

Hit 90Kg bench. pretty fucking sure i could have done 95kg. So my goal of 100kg by the end of 2017 is to small idd say. Maby even this meet. Would be nice!

3 Likes

Week 5 - High Intensity Strength Day 2
Deadlift

Warm up

• So for todays warm up i did a 45 min walk. To the gym. I’m on vacation atm, and the nearest gym was 45 minutes away. I said fuck it and walked.

• Had to pay 9Euro’s entry fee…

• did some monkey bar stuff, and then started warming up with deadlifts.

• 60KG x 5

• 80KG x 5

• 100KG x 5

• 120KG x 1

MAIN SET

• 132,5KG x 4.

Same as with squats i get to increase this number by 1,09% and thats my 1rm.
I could have done atleast 2/3 more reps. So its probally even more. I’ love this program tbh.

• Bench portion
    Worked up to a double of 80KG. Bench press they had felt shit. The rack was to high, The pad to soft, didnt like it one bit. So i pretty much skipped bench besides that double.

Some accesory’s
Me and the people that came with me, just fucked around a bit after the main stuff. Did do my obligatory curls/ab crunches tho. Gotta’ love em.

Also we had to walk 45 minutes back, and after that we swam for like half an hour.

1 Like

Disgusting, that’s a lot of money

1 Like

Exactly. It’s half of what they charge per month. Was a nice gym tho. Way more stuff then in mine.
Got to use bumper plates for the first time. They’re really weird, lol So thick, yet only weigh 5KG’s?

1 Like

New cycle of candito’s 6 week strenght program!

New maxes:
Squat: 130,8KG
Bench: 90KG(not doeing this program’s bench press tho. Still got 2 more weeks left on a other bench program.)
Deadlift: 144KG

I’m positive i can go into this meet, destroying my previous total. And going 9/9.
I think going 9/9 is going to be my main focus. And then hit a better total then before.

Previous total is 315kg- 6/9
Goal total is- Anything over 315KG and 9/9

1 Like

That’s odd, usually it’s about 20% of the monthly charge (at least here) and the monthly charge varies from 10-70 euros

I’ve seen 2.5 kg bumper plates that look EXACTLY like the 25kg bumper plates, only difference being the “.” Between the 2 and the 5
Ridiculous

Week 1 - Muscular Conditioning (W/ Moderate Difficulty)
Squat/Deadlift

-Warm up-
So i felt somewhat tight, due to me having to sleep on a horrible bed the past couple of days.
Started of with static warmup/band work/legg swings.
Did just the bar for 3 sets of 10
Then 60Kg for a bunch of reps, then 80Kg for a triple. and then went straight to working weight.

-Main sets-

• Squat 105KG x 6
  • Squat 105KG x 6
  • Squat 105KG x 6
  • Squat 105KG x 6

These felt good.

Deadlift Sets

• 115KG x 6
  • 115KG x 6
    These felt good to. I don’t like doeing high rep deadlifts, i preffer doeing sets of like 3 to 4. A well.

Accesory’s

• Legg exstension’s 3x12
  • Cable crunch 3x12

Bicep curls while my brother did cardio.

So a little while ago a guy at the gym told me they’re opening a strength training gym not to far away from my regular gym. After my workout i went to visit there.
Directly felt that vibe you always see in those die-hard powerlifting gym video’s. It’s got deadlift platforms, way more KG’s then my current gym, Better barbells. It’s got some turf, its got a trap bar deadlift bar, And more. I’m gonna workout there tomorrow. and kinda get a feel off the enviroment.
I currently think i’m going there, it’s only slightly more expsensive, and it’s better.

5 weeks out from my meet! Excited!!

1 Like

I agree it’s a bit absurd for 2.5, but I get the 5s. They help with training snatches and cleans outside of the hang for begginers. Also, you look stronger than you are when you can load the bar up with ~95 pounds. Pretty rad.

Bench workout

Warmup
Bench just the bar, bunch of reps, pull ups.

• 40KG x 5
  • 60KG x 5
  • 70KG x 2
  • 80KG x 1

main sets
88-90KG x3
88-90KG x3
88-90KG x2
Missed last rep, Fuck it.

Accesory:
Tricep pushdown 3x20
Curls 3x20
Dumbell benchpress 3x20

Happy to be almost done with this bench program. It has certainly increased my bench, And finally got it up from sucking. I think i might run this again near the end or next year.

I did learn that benching more= more bench. So if i want to keep increasing my bench, I’ll have to keep benching allot. I’ll put up my full opinion of this program once i’ve finished it completely.

Went to the new gym today, really liked it. Gonna go there, if my subscription allows it…

2 Likes

Signed into new gym. Should be fun.
One day i’ll find an actual powerlifting gym, with competition stuff. (Iknow where some are, but they’re to far away haha.)

Anyways, did a “bodybuilding” back day.

barbell row 3x12
Farmer walk w/ trapbar however heavy the trapbar is +60kg of weight, bunch of laps
machine row
pull ups
some weird ab machine.
curls with one of those arm blasters thing is pretty cool!

So, tomorrow i need to a MAX rep of 5. Anyone got a idea how i can calculate the number i need to do? My 1rm on bench is between 90-95, Gonna use 90 to calculate it tho.

I myself was thinking 85/87KG.

@lil.greggy @hugh_gilly @danteism

1 Like

Depends on your muscle fiber ratios (and training age)

You know your strength better than we do, so really it comes down to you

You could check your log, have you done a set of four with 87.5kg for example? If yes, pick that weight and try use it for the set of five

If you’ve done six or seven with, say, 85kg using it for you max effort 5RM would be a waste of time (if you haven’t gotten weaker)

2 Likes

I’ve bin doeing this powerlifting thing since august last year. I honeslty wouldnt know my muscle fiber ratio’s… Or what they are.

I’ve never repped more then 82,5KG for 5. But its supposed to be a max rep, i’ve repped 88KG for triples with some ease, So doeing 87kg for a max rep of 5 sounded logical.

So think ill just feel how the warm up feels, and base it on that!
Thanks for tip.

1 Like

Basically your muscle fiber ratio determines how explosive you are and how many reps you can perform with a particular % of your 1RM

In real world it doesn’t really matter

Sounds logical to me, just go by feel and decide between 85 and 87kg when you know how you are feeling

No problem

Sounds Very interesting! I’ll read up on it. Is there a way to determine it? I imagine it would probally take a blood test, or something like that.