Wanna be Elite...

10.1 - 1/30/11

OHP (3x3): 150, 170, 190, 215x1, 235x1 <–New PR!
Pullups (50): Body
DB Bench (3x10): 75x2, 85x2, 95x2 (8)
Facepulls (2x15): Some weight

So much retardation at the gym tonight…I don’t know if Men’s Health just released some sort of new Double Super Secret Fitness Pussy routine or what, but it was crazy…it went way beyond the usual 1/4 inch squats with the tampon in the smith machine…

For instance, when I walked in some guy was doing 1/4 inch ROM with one leg on the leg extension machine with like 20 pounds…
There was a guy running in place (!) on the captain’s ab chair…wtf?
Some other doofus was benching a whopping 115 with his feet straight up in the air, perpendicular to the bench…
One arm pulldowns on the hammerz machine (forgivable I guess, but useless for some 160 pounds guy who doesn’t look like he could do a single pullup)…
One arm rows from a pushup position, supported by DBs (you’re gonna have to use your imagination on that one)…I involuntarily let out a “WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT??” as I was walking by, but he didn’t hear me…or ignored me…

Everyone I made eye contact with tonight looked scared for some reason, like I was about to eat them…I considered it for a second, but then realized I could get much more protein at chipotle…

The only other person in there that looked like he was doing any work at all was this 135 pound pakastani (?) guy, who was doing squats @ sets of 10 with like 1.5 times his bodyweight with good form (until the last couple reps anyway)…I was impressed by him…he didn’t even use the tampon…I have affectionately named him Ahab Al Squattereza

My new buddy Ahab was kind enough to videotape my PR attempt for OHP (235x1):

The weight flew up at the bottom and I struggled a bit to lock it out, but I had way more in me than this…will try for at least 255 on the 5-3-1 week…eventual goal is to OHP my bodyweight…

This cycle will be Wendler’s modified 5-3-1, as described in Option 1 in the 5-3-1 Reloaded article:

Basically just switching up the 3x5 and 3x3 weeks, not doing any AMRAP sets, and hitting heavy singles in the new 1 and 3 weeks after the prescribed sets/reps…

I think this will help me get used to having heavy weights in my hand/on my back again before the comp in March…going well so far…sore as shit right now from tonight’s workout, and its only been an hour since I left!!! Have a feeling I’m going to die from squats and deadlifts this cycle…but now that I think about it, that’s really not a bad way to go…death by squats baby…2011