T Nation

Wanna be a Runner and Get Bigger

I used to run a lot when i was 15-16 im now 18 and dont run anymore becuase I want to get as big as possible and my metabolism is semi fast. I was wondering if it would be possible to get strong and big but be able to run say about 5km so overall extremely fit.

Yeah all you have to do is eat a lot. Your leg progress may lag a bit.

I don’t really know that much but I will try to say some.

Spread your track workouts as far away from your lower body workouts as possible to allow for more recovery. Just make sure that you continue to do strength based leg workouts.

The largest guy who frequently works out in our school gym (This doesn’t really say that much, my school does not have many good physiques) runs distance track as well. He has massive arms, pecks, and back muscles from lifting. Buuuuuttt… he runs so much long distance that he has the chicken legs of a distance runner.

It looks kind of funny.

The military proves this is possible all the time.

If you want to keep running try sprints. It’ll get you cut and keep your legs from looking too small. Plus you’ll still be athletic.

[quote]amphibian wrote:
The military proves this is possible all the time. [/quote]

Ahahahahahaha.
You been on a base lately??

It is possible but it will definitely be alot harder. Doing that much cardio is counter-productive for a bulking plan. You will have to take in alot more calories.

[quote]noahkapoa007 wrote:
I used to run a lot when i was 15-16 im now 18 and dont run anymore becuase I want to get as big as possible and my metabolism is semi fast. I was wondering if it would be possible to get strong and big but be able to run say about 5km so overall extremely fit.[/quote]

Easily possible. It will take more food than if you weren’t running 5k’s, but yeah you can do it. The down side is it will take longer and also take more food, the upside is that your body’s joints will stay used to running as you grow, so you won’t be in so much pain as if you’d dropped all running for a few years and then suddenly tried to pick it up again after gaining 60 lbs of muscle. Also, it will keep you leaner as you bulk. So, I think you should do it.

Bottom line, do what you like–if you like running (I hate it), by all means keep at it. This lifestyle is about having fun, as well as getting big and strong. You should enjoy the journey. You’re always going to have rough spots and plateaus and bad times of course, but overall you should enjoy the journey.

Don’t run every day, eat as many calories as it takes to grow (which could be a ton in your case, as it was in mine), and lift hard.

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
amphibian wrote:

Ahahahahahaha.
[/quote]

while it’s hard to find people anywhere with impressive physiques that also are decent distance runners, i think the military will have proportionatly larger amounts than any other group of people you can find.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
amphibian wrote:

Ahahahahahaha.

while it’s hard to find people anywhere with impressive physiques that also are decent distance runners, i think the military will have proportionatly larger amounts than any other group of people you can find.[/quote]

They definitely don’t have the guts that most of my co-workers are sporting. But I wouldn’t consider many of them impressive.

Do crossfit.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
HangerBaby wrote:
amphibian wrote:

Ahahahahahaha.

while it’s hard to find people anywhere with impressive physiques that also are decent distance runners, i think the military will have proportionatly larger amounts than any other group of people you can find.

They definitely don’t have the guts that most of my co-workers are sporting. But I wouldn’t consider many of them impressive.
[/quote]

i’m not talking about national guard weekend warriors. the group of guys i pt/lift with look better than 75% of the people on this site, not to mention they smoke the runs. it might just be a perspective thing, the small group i see vs the group you see, but i haven’t found another generalized group of people that can both have impressive physiques and good run times.

JoeSchmo runs track, plays football, bodybuilds, and studied hard enough to get into an Ivy League college.

Make it happen.

“Ahahahahahaha.
You been on a base lately??”

Yeah, I work on Fort Bragg.

I stated the military proves this every day. However, I didn’t say it was true of everybody on active duty.

Yeah my dad is in the military so I get the privilege of working out on the base gym (which is extremely nice by the way). There is definitely a fair share of strong, big, cut people, but there is the same amount of lard asses. I wonder how the fuck they pass their yearly PT tests.

“i haven’t found another generalized group of people that can both have impressive physiques and good run times”

Middle/heavyweight boxers.

Rugby players?

I think most bodybuilders could run 5km without any difficulty. I do that at least a couple of times a week. A set of 20 rep squats is much harder.

I am former military an at my peak i was 109kgs and i ran 10kms twice a week i didnt set any world records on the track but I did it during our pt sessions so I guess the answer is yes.
A lot of rugby league and rugby union players are fairly big as well and they can run a fair distance.

I wish i still looked like that haha

[quote]amphibian wrote:
“Ahahahahahaha.
You been on a base lately??”

Yeah, I work on Fort Bragg.

I stated the military proves this every day. However, I didn’t say it was true of everybody on active duty. [/quote]

It got so bad here at Rucker that when Gen. Pilsbury had command, he put EVERYBODY on PT five days a week.

[quote]gaius wrote:
“i haven’t found another generalized group of people that can both have impressive physiques and good run times”

Middle/heavyweight boxers.[/quote]

Damn right. Most of them may not have the bulk that most of us are after, but their conditioning is astounding.

Holy crap… 5k is NOT distance running. Just run yo. 5k will take you less than 30 minutes. Stop getting lost in the details. If you eat and lift hard, running 5ks will not make you shrink.