Walnut Question

I normally buy my walnuts in the dried food section coz it’s cheaper than the ones in the baking section. I’m not too sure if those in the baking section are raw but I know the dried goods are.

Anyway, there is a difference in taste and color between the two. The walnuts from the dried food section are brown to dark brown in color and taste rather awful. Those from the baking section seem to be lighter brown in color and certainly more palatable.

Is there any way I can improve the taste of the raw walnuts? I’ve heard some saying to soak in salt water, bake and then keep it in the fridge.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like the ones you are getting are roasted. Or it could be a different walnut all together. There are differing varieties. Example black and english walnuts. English I do beleive have a higher amount of fats.

Both are great raw IMO but hey I’m a nut.

Yes you can soak them in salt water them raost. I do them at low temp to dry them, about 200-220. Also a great addition is add a littloe splenda and cinnamon. Maybe a little vanilla extract befor drying. MMMMMM Good.

Hope that helps,
Phill

Just buy the raw nuts (in the baking section). They are healthier and not roasted. You can buy them in bulk through Sam’s Club, BJ’s, Costco, etc. Almonds and wal-nuts!

Roasting nuts alters the fats and reduces the health benefits. Eat them raw. Also do you almonds raw, too. They are a bit more pricey, but it’s worth it.

DH