Walnut Oil, Delicious Healthy Fat

Nub here but I’ve been reading articles and browsing the forums for years. Anyhow, was rolling through a local farmers market one day and happened upon a vendor giving complimentary shots of this stuff, he had a few bits of sourdough as well for dipping for the less adventurous.

Long story short, I took a shot and loved it. Bought a bottle on the spot and even though the stuff tends to be pricey, I haven’t been this giddy about a food type in a hell of a long time. So far I’ve mixed it with shakes, subbed it for olive oil in salads, I’ve hit some of my favorite meats with it after cooking (tri-tip) and the stuff just seems to liven up everything I put it on from bloody steak to protein shakes.

Anyone else give it a try?

great idea on the shakes part. I was gonna pick some up, but figured it wasn’t the best oil to cook with, should have thought about the shot idea.

Yep, not ideal for cooking. Haven’t fried with it yet but I have used it as part of a marinade for smoked meats, it works but it doesn’t impart the same flavor when it’s cooked (even smoked), I didn’t notice a difference in flavor between any oils when it comes to smoking meats. But having it uncooked and finding ways to use it cold, its outstanding.

I’ve never even heard of walnut oil. Sounds tasty so I will have to keep an eye out for some.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I drink it straight out of the container and use it on green salads as well.

I do the same with almond and EVOO. I take a spoonful or more of coconut oil every day as well.[/quote]

sounds like we’re on the same plan, though I have not seen almond oil yet.

will be doing my EVOO shot soon. 179g fat today :smiley:

goes down smooooth

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I do the same with almond and EVOO. I take a spoonful or more of coconut oil every day as well.[/quote]

+1 and often mix in macadamia oil as well

which I think you can cook with just fine, though I never do with those pricier nut oils

It goes well with balsamic vinegar of modena on a salad.im developing quite an addiction to balsamic vinegar of modena,its delcious!

Severiano - are you aware of the burn rate on walnut oil for cooking?? I’ve always been a huge advocate of the coconut oil (unreal for cooking; natural laxative; and recently saw it’s great for brain health - medium chain fatty acid that can bypass insulin resistance cells), and the avocado oil because of their supposed high burn rates. Obviously, as you all know, fats have the potential to become rancid under high heats and cause free radicals. This is definitely not a problem with coconut oil (saturated fats are most stable), and I’ve heard avocado (and olive) have high thresholds under heat.
Any research or literature you’re aware of on walnut oil?
If so, I’d like to give it a go based on your recommendations.

pro tip: don’t blend in avocado oil with your shakes…

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I once used walnut oil in a 70 minute full-body nude massage on my wife… and ended up finding that the oil makes an excellent lube.

:wink:

it’s a good oil for shots, hardly any taste

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I once used walnut oil in a 70 minute full-body nude massage on my wife… and ended up finding that the oil makes an excellent lube.

;)[/quote]

Well done !

I just read walnuts omega 6 to omega 3 ratio is 9-1, is that true?

not qutie, #s based upon 1 TBSP

Total Omega-3 fatty acids
mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids
mg

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
not qutie, #s based upon 1 TBSP

Total Omega-3 fatty acids
mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids
mg

[/quote]