T Nation

Wall Street Journal Article

I thought there might be interest in this article from the Wall Street Journal on Monday. I've been a member here for a while, and it's great to see confirmation of all that I believe and have learned here. This place is just awesome. So thankful for all the good advice.

Hope the link works.

Well since the WSJ says so we must not be crazy after all. Good to see they recognize the benefits are far reaching besides just muscular gains but also things like improved cognitive abilities and mobility.

Thanks MeatVP. I wonder what studies would show on people who have trained throughout their lives into their 60s and 70s. Not just the older adults who started training in their 60s and 70s.

Great article. Thanks!

My mother lives in a very large Floridian retirement community and my observations while there definitely support what I read in this article.

They have semi-legit gyms for everyone to use as part of the association membership and I’ve spent some time in these. No squat rack, but they let me deadlift and have dumbbells up to 50. They actually have barbells and a bench press too. Lots of different machines and a smith machine for squats. Not too bad for a retirement community.

In these gyms I’ve met quite a few 65+ people who are in phenomenal shape and they are hitting the weights hard. One of them even got excited when he saw me deadlifting because he didn’t realize they even allowed it. As an aside, I was only deadlifting 275 the last time I was there, which was a year and a half ago. They had ceramic floors and rubber-coated plates, so they held up fine. They may not take too kindly to my methods if I were to start banging 550+ pounds around.

Anyway, these guys know what’s up, and that’s why they are going water skiing next weekend instead of playing shuffleboard.

WSJ - GREAT paper.

From Yesterday - “Osteoporosis: New Patient Group is Men After Age 50”

“Osteoporosis is commonly thought of as a women’s disease, but as many as 1 in 4 men in the U.S. over the age of 50 will break a bone as a result of the condition, more than will have prostate cancer… By comparison, 1 out of 2 women will break a bone from osteoporosis. The disease also is a common cause of hip fractures, and men are twice as likely as women to die in the year after suffering a broken hip, says the Switzerland-based International Osteoporosis Foundation…”