T Nation

Walking Outside vs Cross Trainer

Ladies and gents

A little input if you will.

I'm training Muay Thai 2+ hours 6-7 times a weeks in the PM (fighting in March) as well as doing short but intense conditioning/weight sessions in the mornings - carries, sled, complexes, KB's etc.

I'm planning a slight deload and will replace the AM sessions with some light recovery cardio for 1-2 weeks. I live in Bangkok so it's hotter than the Devil's underpants even in the early morning, and the side walks are also either shit or non existent, so although doable not ideal.

I've got a cross trainer in the corner of my home gym (fiance bought it and used it about 3 times). I've read a few articles and comments suggesting that these are not any good for semi fasted cardio in the morning, due to the mechanics in terms of the bodies movement while on them for extended periods of time? Seems a bit majoring in the minors but what experience have the good folks had with them for this purpose?
I'd like to avoid aggravating my hips/joints in general (I'm 38 and it;s not going to help my Muay Thai either)

Thoughts please

Thanks in advance

Moog

[quote]moogweasel wrote:
I’m planning a slight deload and will replace the AM sessions with some light recovery cardio for 1-2 weeks.
[…]
I’ve read a few articles and comments suggesting that these are not any good for semi fasted cardio in the morning, due to the mechanics in terms of the bodies movement while on them for extended periods of time?[/quote]
1-2 weeks is not “an extended period of time”, even if you’re knocking out 60-minute sessions six days a week. Use the elliptical. There’s nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rusin talked a bit about his issue with ellipticals in a few articles. In this one, he talks about reduced glute activation and potential hip issues:

However, that’s primarily from the reduced balance component of ellipticals. If you avoid holding the handles while on the machine, you’re reintroducing some balance and stability requirements, while still reducing joint impact. So, best of both worlds, or a happy compromise at least.

Thanks Chris, your time and input is appreciated