T Nation

Walking for Cardio to Preserve Muscle

I was thinking that even though I’m in the mass phase of my workout…I could still burn some fat pretty efficiently…I think. Since “fat burns in a carbohydrate flame”, you have to cut initially cut into some glycogen for fuel during the first 10-20 minutes of cardio. But after that its basically clear skies for fat burning as long as you maintain a steady pace at roughly 60%max HR. So what I am thinking is why couldn’t I powerwalk for about an hour? I wouldnt be tapping into my glycogen stores so much that it would hurt recovery and growth like a higher intensity-shorter duration jog would…and I would be going long enough that I could burn a decent amount of fat right? Am I crazy or will this work…let me know if anyone has tried this…

[quote]harbinjc wrote:
I was thinking that even though I am in the mass phase of my workout…I could still burn some fat pretty efficiently…i think. Since “fat burns in a carbohydrate flame”, you have to cut initially cut into some glycogen for fuel during the first 10-20 minutes of cardio. But after that its basically clear skies for fat burning as long as you maintain a steady pace at roughly 60%max HR. So what I am thinking is why couldn’t I powerwalk for about an hour? I wouldnt be tapping into my glycogen stores so much that it would hurt recovery and growth like a higher intensity-shorter duration jog would…and I would be going long enough that I could burn a decent amount of fat right? Am I crazy or will this work…let me know if anyone has tried this…[/quote]

First, at no time…ever…is your body ONLY burning one fuel source or the other. It is using all of them at different ratios all day long. The basic concept relies on the use of calories, which are needed in EXCESS of maintenance to be in a “mass phase”. That means that while cardio when gaining may decrease fat gained, it can also decrease muscle gained and will not cause an overall net loss of body weight unless calories taken in are LESS than is need to maintain your weight. That means that your plan to powerwalk for an entire hour is more likely to lead to less muscle gained than significant fat lost simply because you are attempting to pull your body in two different directions. For the record, an hour of powerwalking is not “light cardio” and will cut into glycogen stores.

I’m with the professor here. Often “light” cardio is prescribed to help recovery from workouts during a bulking cycle, not to keep fat off. Cardiovascular exercise kept to 50-60% of your max HR, for maybe 20 min, done on off-lifting days is to increase body temp, thereby increasing circulation, thereby getting more nutrition/oxygen to the muscle cell and eliminate wastes.

I feel the best way to keep from gaining fat on a bulking cycle is to monitor your BF levels once per week, just like during cutting. If you are finding you are gaining some BF, decrease cals a bit, especially from higher glycemic carbs. Or, cycle your bulking every 6 weeks, following by a two week cutting cycle if you are gaining too much BF. Inevitably, you will likely gain a little BF - that’s to be expected.

Even during bulking the P+F and P+C meals with proper timing can maximize muscle gain and minimize fat gain. It may seem like you are therefore dieting all year, but once you get used to portion sizes and timing you will be able to monitor it painlessly. It just takes that initial sweat-equity.

TopSirloin

Agree.

I use various method but tried the lower intensity weighted walking last March/April when LL was talking a lot about it. I had hit a plateau in my fat loss. By switching to the walking hills and such with an xvest fasted or with just a half serving of Low-Carb Grow! I was able to get back on track.

It was amazing. Helped with LBM preservation as well.

So in short it is now a part of my routine when needed. But I also mix it up a bit throwing in sessions of intervals and such.

Give it a few week try and see how you like it.

I believe that you can gain lean mass and lose fat at the same time. you need to be strict with your nutrient timing throughout the day. I have found that fasted state cardio using my weighted vest has not affected my strength levels or my ability to recover. It is just really boring to be walking or doing the elliptical for an hour. For mass gain i have found that my soreness levels are much lower when i load on a lot of protein and carbs after my weight training, just like in t-dawg diet. the rest of the day i keep the calories up using high fat and protein meals. laters pk

pk-

How did you find the energy to walk for an hour, first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach?!?! I did two sessions for 30 min one week and thought I was going to pass out! How about LBM retention - did you tend lose more LBM on fasted vs. afternoon/evening cardio??

Thanks,