Walking At Night?

Wear a hot pink shirt that says I’m sexy and I know it on one side, and I workout on the other. Everybody will just think you’re working out, and guys won’t threaten you because they think they can take you anyday.

[quote]Eielson wrote:

[quote]Eielson wrote:
So I guess that means I’ll be ordering a collapsible baton.[/quote]

Actually I’m not sure about this. He said I can carry a baseball bat, but I guess that may be in a different category than a baton. The laws I’m seeing seem to show that a “billy” is illegal, which I guess is a baton. Nothing mentioned about baseball bats. It’s gonna look sketchy as hell walking around with a baseball bat, but I guess that’s my only real option.[/quote]
https://www.google.com/search?q=walking+sticks&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Qb0cUvL9Gtb84AO_2oGYDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1092&bih=533

What’s with all the weapons? Just take ol’ fuckin a and fuckin b.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Eielson wrote:

[quote]Eielson wrote:
So I guess that means I’ll be ordering a collapsible baton.[/quote]

Actually I’m not sure about this. He said I can carry a baseball bat, but I guess that may be in a different category than a baton. The laws I’m seeing seem to show that a “billy” is illegal, which I guess is a baton. Nothing mentioned about baseball bats. It’s gonna look sketchy as hell walking around with a baseball bat, but I guess that’s my only real option.[/quote]
https://www.google.com/search?q=walking+sticks&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Qb0cUvL9Gtb84AO_2oGYDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1092&bih=533[/quote]

Shilelaghs FTW.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
Just say you carry it for stray dogs, which is also a major issue jogging/running at night in a subdivision. When I was in the Army, I still liked to run at night, and, for whatever reason, people really like to let their dogs out at night, or put them on a LOOOOONG chain in their front yards, such that the dog will get you unless you are in the middle of the road.[/quote]

I’m sure I could explain that just fine to a police officer if he stopped me. My main concern was what if I actually use it, and that guy has permanent damage or dies? I feel like I could get into trouble even though it was self defense. It could potentially save my life, though, so I guess it might be worth the risk. I could probably spray him, call an ambulance as I’m running off, and take my chances legally. It’s better than taking my chances unarmed against a baseball-bat-wielding lunatic.

[quote]Eielson wrote:

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
Just say you carry it for stray dogs, which is also a major issue jogging/running at night in a subdivision. When I was in the Army, I still liked to run at night, and, for whatever reason, people really like to let their dogs out at night, or put them on a LOOOOONG chain in their front yards, such that the dog will get you unless you are in the middle of the road.[/quote]

I’m sure I could explain that just fine to a police officer if he stopped me. My main concern was what if I actually use it, and that guy has permanent damage or dies? I feel like I could get into trouble even though it was self defense. It could potentially save my life, though, so I guess it might be worth the risk. I could probably spray him, call an ambulance as I’m running off, and take my chances legally. It’s better than taking my chances unarmed against a baseball-bat-wielding lunatic.[/quote]

Not a lawyer, but I suppose you could point out that bear spray is 100% the same thing as the crowd-control spray the cop carries to spray on rioters, just a picture of a bear instead of a dirty hippie on the bottle.

So he never actually produced a baseball bat. Apart from swearing and acting beligerantly and agressively towards you…not much else?

Seriously in Oz this would be an assault. The cops would probably just give him a caution and remind him that you have as much right as anyone else to walk down the street at any time of day or night you chose.

Keep walking down the street. If he goes at you again, calmy remind him that you will call the coppers yourself, but keep walking. Keep a log of all this bullshit. Next time persevere with the police desk jockey, mention how often this has occurred and the names of the officers ypu have reported it too. If you seem to take it seriously, they will be more inclined too.

And just to be on the safe side, there are many baton torches you can get.

call the cops report the incident carry a knife in case he’s stupid enough to come after you if he does stab him in the chest call the cops amd say I told you this guy was a nut now he’s dead the end

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
call the cops report the incident carry a knife in case he’s stupid enough to come after you if he does stab him in the chest call the cops amd say I told you this guy was a nut now he’s dead the end[/quote]

And then you scalp em

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
So he never actually produced a baseball bat. Apart from swearing and acting beligerantly and agressively towards you…not much else?

Seriously in Oz this would be an assault. The cops would probably just give him a caution and remind him that you have as much right as anyone else to walk down the street at any time of day or night you chose.[/quote]

This is correct. When I called, all I really wanted was them to warn him that he would be reported and what would happen if anything ever happened to me. I had hopes this would make him rethink how minor having his vehicle broken into would be in comparison.

I’ve had the cops stop me before, so I don’t want to have anything illegal on me. If I’m gonna get in trouble, I at least want to make it worth it.

Go with the bear mace, to the best of my knowledge it does no permanent damage they will just feel shit for a while.

Hornet spray would be more for home invasion and can make you go blind in extreme cases.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Do you have the means to learn any combat sport like boxing, kickboxing, mma, BJJ etc…? Traditional martial arts aren’t very useful in your situation or any situation that isn’t a set up in class scenario.
[/quote]

People watch UFC and think its not the best martial art in the world, far surpassing those which have been used for thousands of years as the means for physical combat in countries other than the America’s. Yep.[/quote]

Did you mean to say UFC IS the best martial art in the world?

If so I take it your saying that traditional martial arts are the best form of physical combat.

Do you have any experience with traditional martial arts and real lift situations? UFC for example is lot more similar to most fights where two people slog away at each other and dont fall like a wet paper bag when you hit them with a perfectly choreographed kick like in films.

A little old Asian lady who lives in the neighborhood I used to live in would always walk her two toy dogs while carrying a nine iron. Apparently she was mugged a few years back while walking her dogs, so now she just carries a fucking golf club with her. She’s like 80.

I walk at night all the time as well, I live in Chicago and I work third shift, it is the only thing I can do to keep me from going crazy on my nights off. I have a dog thuogh (german shepard) so my situation is a little bit different. I have never had any problems with anyone besides the occasional bad driver and the crackheads. I live in a hispanic neighborhood, and I’m white. However I stay out of Latin King areas.

This guy who threatened you I can guarantee is all talk, in his head he did a good thing because he scared away a potential thief. He is also an idiot, cars get broken into sometimes, so it must be the only guy he sees walking one night. I wouldn’t change a thing, if you start carrying something, and this guy actually does start chasing you, you now look like the bad guy, “if you’re just going for a walk why do you have a insert blunt object here on you?” asks police. If this guy gives you any more problems, immediately call the police and they can straighten out the overzealous neighborhood watch.

If this guy attacks you off of his own property, you have a solid lawsuit right there. I’m assuming you live in America, and in America, you can walk wherever you want. Don’t let some tubby d-bag affect your lifestyle. good luck

[quote]Eielson wrote:

Seriously in Oz this would be an assault. The cops would probably just give him a caution and remind him that you have as much right as anyone else to walk down the street at any time of day or night you chose.[/quote]

This is correct. When I called, all I really wanted was them to warn him that he would be reported and what would happen if anything ever happened to me. I had hopes this would make him rethink how minor having his vehicle broken into would be in comparison.

I’ve had the cops stop me before, so I don’t want to have anything illegal on me. If I’m gonna get in trouble, I at least want to make it worth it.[/quote]

I have to say that I think you are over reacting to the situation. This has occurred once. Keep walking down the street. If the turd keeps going you, keep a log, keep reporting it and tell the guy he’s being a dick and should grow a brain.

Also carrying a bat, golf club, knife or worse will get you into a lot more trouble than carrying a torch. Any of those takes you into the realm of premeditation. A torch … it’s night time, it’s dark, thats why I carry a torch officer. I’m thinking you’ll get away with that one.

[quote]Eielson wrote:

I’ve had the cops stop me before, so I don’t want to have anything illegal on me. If I’m gonna get in trouble, I at least want to make it worth it.[/quote]

I have to say that I think you are over reacting to the situation. This has occurred once. Keep walking down the street. If the turd keeps going you, keep a log, keep reporting it and tell the guy he’s being a dick and should grow a brain.

Also carrying a bat, golf club, knife or worse will get you into a lot more trouble than carrying a torch. Any of those takes you into the realm of premeditation. A torch … it’s night time, it’s dark, thats why I carry a torch officer. I’m thinking you’ll get away with that one.[/quote]

What is it you think I’m overreacting about? I know I’ve asked a lot of questions, and that may seem like I’m freaking out, but it’s not like I’m losing sleep or anything. I just haven’t been in this situation before, so I have a lot of questions. He made the threat, so it’s appropriate to prepare for it’s potential fulfillment, correct? I should also try to prepare myself in a legal way, correct? I’ve been stopped by police before (they checked my ID, saw my record was spotless, and let me go), so the odds are high that I’d be stopped again if I had an illegal weapon.

I ordered some bear spray online yesterday. It will arrive on Tuesday, so I’ll start walking again at night when that comes in. I don’t think I’ll need anything else. I’ll keep walking around the neighborhood, but I’ll avoid walking past his house. As much as I’d like to provoke him to come outside, spray him with bear spray, and then beat him with his own bat, I’m trying to outgrow the revenge mentality I’ve grown up with. It’s dragged me down more than anything.

[quote]Eielson wrote:

Nothing illegal about a D-cell Mag-Lite. When an English-speaking person outside of the United States says “torch”, just imagine they are saying “flashlight”

[quote]Eielson wrote:

[quote]Eielson wrote:

Also carrying a bat, golf club, knife or worse will get you into a lot more trouble than carrying a torch. Any of those takes you into the realm of premeditation. A torch … it’s night time, it’s dark, thats why I carry a torch officer. I’m thinking you’ll get away with that one.[/quote]

What is it you think I’m overreacting about? I know I’ve asked a lot of questions, and that may seem like I’m freaking out, but it’s not like I’m losing sleep or anything. I just haven’t been in this situation before, so I have a lot of questions. He made the threat, so it’s appropriate to prepare for it’s potential fulfillment, correct? I should also try to prepare myself in a legal way, correct? I’ve been stopped by police before (they checked my ID, saw my record was spotless, and let me go), so the odds are high that I’d be stopped again if I had an illegal weapon.

I ordered some bear spray online yesterday. It will arrive on Tuesday, so I’ll start walking again at night when that comes in. I don’t think I’ll need anything else. I’ll keep walking around the neighborhood, but I’ll avoid walking past his house. As much as I’d like to provoke him to come outside, spray him with bear spray, and then beat him with his own bat, I’m trying to outgrow the revenge mentality I’ve grown up with. It’s dragged me down more than anything.[/quote]

Don’t underestimate the power of bear spray, bear spray is EXTREMELY powerful and potent. If you spray the bear spray at this man, you are vastly mistaken in thinking that you would need to do any further damage. Even spraying the bear spray would affect you negatively as well. If you get stopped by police and you have bear spray on you it won’t be good. Hypothetically if this guy came at you and you hit him with bear spray, it would look premeditated on your part, and then you’re the bad guy. Bad idea

[quote]Eielson wrote:

I ordered some bear spray online yesterday. It will arrive on Tuesday, so I’ll start walking again at night when that comes in. I don’t think I’ll need anything else. I’ll keep walking around the neighborhood, but I’ll avoid walking past his house. As much as I’d like to provoke him to come outside, spray him with bear spray, and then beat him with his own bat, I’m trying to outgrow the revenge mentality I’ve grown up with. It’s dragged me down more than anything.[/quote]

He swore at you and your response is Bear spray and revenge fantasies.
Overreacting … I think you just answered your own question.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
[Nothing illegal about a D-cell Mag-Lite. When an English-speaking person outside of the United States says “torch”, just imagine they are saying “flashlight”[/quote]

Ah yes, ‘flashlight’, good point.

Damn Yankees! Learn to play Cricket, talk properly, apologise to the Queen and you too may yet live in a civilised society! The USA could then amalgamate with Canada and form West Brittania.