Walking At Night?

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
or get a king Shepherd and no one will fuck with you.[/quote]
I would.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
I would.[/quote]

I bet you could take a pack of King Shepherds.

100 King Shepherds V.S. Csulli??

DEFINITELY report it to the police especially since you know where this asshole lives. He’s made a threat on your life. Also, by reporting it now, it gives you more legitimacy if you ever do get into it with this guy and the cops get involved.

If a report has already been made by you explaining the situation and he should end up coming to harm, it definitely puts more weight behind a self-defense claim on your part. Also, when you’re there, ask the cops what they would suggest. Float the idea out there that you were considering carrying a baseball bat with you and see what they would say. Again, this gives more justification to you carrying it if you are ever stopped over it.

And remember to write down the name and badge number of the cop(s) you speak with. I wouldn’t stop walking at night though. Try to avoid his street if you can. Carrying a bat with you with a glove on it like Beachguy said is a great idea. Good luck

Since you know who the guy is, then why not report him?

I think walking with a dog would be your best option. I don’t have a dog either but whenever I go for a run in a wooded park I always borrow one of my friend’s dogs. I guess it isn’t the most practical thing to do but it works for me.

I am surprised it took as long as CMDad’s post above for anyone to mention YOU call the police FIRST. My thinking is that they can have an interview with you, maybe determine how likely you are to being someone who breaks into cars at night (do grant this man likely does have some justification in having his knickers in a twist about breakins) and have them contact him. they could just maybe talk to him and likely allay his concern about you specifically.

Other than that, the combat forum has had MANY threads with absolutely golden posts in the realm of real fighting, that is all the variables involved with a non sporting altercation. Here’s some:

these first 2 are likely all you need to read, all lot of them got rehashed in the thread later.

Tell the guy to go fuck himself. Then go and call the police and report the guy for harassing you. This is still a free country isn’t it? Jesus.

Dude has no right to tell you how to live your live and what you can and cannot do. I understand he’s upset because his car was broken into, but that’s HIS problem not yours.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
I would.[/quote]

I bet you could take a pack of King Shepherds. [/quote]

Well, as long as his delusions of grandeur are only of the canine variety I would say he is doing alright.

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[quote]Eielson wrote:

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
Did you tell fatboy that you are just walking and not breaking into cars? Also, CCW would be a good idea if your gonna walk at night
( or in the day for that matter ) depending of course on your State laws. If he threatened you with a baseball bat I’d make a report. Fucking sad a guy can’t just go for a walk without some bullshit. Walking at night is kinda peacefull too. I used to walk my dog at night after work when I was on a afternoon shift. Loved the quiet. good luck.[/quote]

Yeah, I told him I’m just going for a walk, but he said “I don’t wanna fuckin hear it! Go fuckin walk somewhere else!” CCW is a good idea, but I’m not sure how well it work for this situation. I wouldn’t want to actually kill him, so I would basically just be pulling out my gun to get him to rethink coming at me. At that point, although I’ve avoided being beaten with a bat, I’ve most likely put myself in much greater danger in the long run(as well as my roommates). Escalating this beyond bats into a gunfight is something I’d like to avoid at all costs. I currently have a knife I sometimes carry, but I’d probably have to throw it if he had a bat. I’d really just like to carry a baseball bat around, but you can’t hid that very well, and I think that would get the cops called on me just about every night.

If anybody is reading this thinking, “man, this guy really doesn’t know how to defend himself,” you’re right. Any tips on self defense in general are much appreciated.[/quote]

If you’re telling yourself “Yea, I should grab my gun to be able to walk in this area at such and such time”, you shouldn’t go to that spot. The best self defense method is not getting into a jackpot in the first place. Don’t let anyone tell you different.
[/quote]

The Tomahawk makes a nice defensive and offensive weapon. Dress up like an indian…run down the road past him yelling with your tomahawk saying, " My name is Breakintocars and I’ve come to take your scalp fatman ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahaahhhhhhhh!!!

[quote]crowdhater wrote:

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[quote]Eielson wrote:

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
Did you tell fatboy that you are just walking and not breaking into cars? Also, CCW would be a good idea if your gonna walk at night
( or in the day for that matter ) depending of course on your State laws. If he threatened you with a baseball bat I’d make a report. Fucking sad a guy can’t just go for a walk without some bullshit. Walking at night is kinda peacefull too. I used to walk my dog at night after work when I was on a afternoon shift. Loved the quiet. good luck.[/quote]

Yeah, I told him I’m just going for a walk, but he said “I don’t wanna fuckin hear it! Go fuckin walk somewhere else!” CCW is a good idea, but I’m not sure how well it work for this situation. I wouldn’t want to actually kill him, so I would basically just be pulling out my gun to get him to rethink coming at me. At that point, although I’ve avoided being beaten with a bat, I’ve most likely put myself in much greater danger in the long run(as well as my roommates). Escalating this beyond bats into a gunfight is something I’d like to avoid at all costs. I currently have a knife I sometimes carry, but I’d probably have to throw it if he had a bat. I’d really just like to carry a baseball bat around, but you can’t hid that very well, and I think that would get the cops called on me just about every night.

If anybody is reading this thinking, “man, this guy really doesn’t know how to defend himself,” you’re right. Any tips on self defense in general are much appreciated.[/quote]

If you’re telling yourself “Yea, I should grab my gun to be able to walk in this area at such and such time”, you shouldn’t go to that spot. The best self defense method is not getting into a jackpot in the first place. Don’t let anyone tell you different.
[/quote]

The Tomahawk makes a nice defensive and offensive weapon. Dress up like an indian…run down the road past him yelling with your tomahawk saying, " My name is Breakintocars and I’ve come to take your scalp fatman ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahaahhhhhhhh!!![/quote]

If you are any darker than a Nordic God, this will probably not end well.

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
My name is Breakintocars and I’ve come to take your scalp fatman ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahaahhhhhhhh!!![/quote]

Sounds like my half-brother when he’s drunk, except he really would be breaking into cars and trying to scalp people.

I called to report it. The guy I talked to acted like I was wasting his time, and was kind of a prick. He said he can’t do anything, and I should have called that night instead of waiting. They would have came out, but now apparently they can’t do anything. I told him that I had his license plate number and his street address, but the officer said “Do you even know his name???,” and acted like my information was worthless. I asked about making a report, and he quickly told me “there’s nothing to report.” After pressing deeper, he did say that there would be record that I called, so I guess that’s something. I also asked what my rights were for self-defense, and he told me I could do whatever I want to defend myself. He told me I couldn’t walk around with brass knuckles, but when I asked about walking around with a baseball bat or something like that, he said I could do that as long as I wasn’t going around threatening people. So I guess that means I’ll be ordering a collapsible baton. I’ll also get some bear spray.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
So I guess that means I’ll be ordering a collapsible baton.[/quote]

Actually I’m not sure about this. He said I can carry a baseball bat, but I guess that may be in a different category than a baton. The laws I’m seeing seem to show that a “billy” is illegal, which I guess is a baton. Nothing mentioned about baseball bats. It’s gonna look sketchy as hell walking around with a baseball bat, but I guess that’s my only real option.

[quote]Eielson wrote:

[quote]Eielson wrote:
So I guess that means I’ll be ordering a collapsible baton.[/quote]

Actually I’m not sure about this. He said I can carry a baseball bat, but I guess that may be in a different category than a baton. The laws I’m seeing seem to show that a “billy” is illegal, which I guess is a baton. Nothing mentioned about baseball bats. It’s gonna look sketchy as hell walking around with a baseball bat, but I guess that’s my only real option.[/quote]

Well, I guess that will keep most people at a distance! I for one, would go out of my way to avoid a guy walking around at night carrying a baseball bat…

Is it necessary to get bear spray instead of pepper spray? If pepper spray would get the job done by itself, I think I should probably avoid bear spray. From what I’m seeing, even in self defense, there could be some legal issues of “not using it for it’s intended purposes”.

Use wasp/hornet spray. That shit sprays like 20 feet.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Use wasp/hornet spray. That shit sprays like 20 feet. [/quote]

I like the way you think son.

I used to have some pepper spray but I was always worried I was going to set it off accidentally in my purse. Then I forgot about it and almost attempted to go through airport security with it so I had to throw it away and I never replaced it. I’m not sure how useful it might have been.

It strikes me as strange that going for a walk anytime you want would be suspicious. Unwise perhaps, but suspicious? I go for walks at all sorts of strange hours and I frequently see others out with or without dogs. IMO one should be able to go ‘get some air’ anytime you want.

Forget baseball bats drilled with iron rods. You’ll look like a thug, and if you get stopped, you’ll get busted for carrying a weapon (loaded canes are illegal in many jurisdictions). God help you if you use it on someone.

Carry a 15-pound kettlebell. You can do swings and presses while you walk, so it’ll look like you’re just exercising. Believe me, more people will ask “what the fuck is that?” than “what the fuck are you walking around at night for?” And if somebody does question you, like a cop, you just tell the truth: you were out exercising. But if someone fucks with you, you have a fifteen-pound iron fist. Yes, it is entirely possible to crush a man’s skull with a well-swung kettlebell. Yes, same result as with a piece of lead pipe or a loaded bat, only it’s not “really” a weapon.

It’s your exercise equipment.

And yes, 15 pounds is very wimpy. I’ve gone on nocturnal walks with 30 and 53-pounders. The 30 is fine. The 53 is doable but not very enjoyable.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Do you have the means to learn any combat sport like boxing, kickboxing, mma, BJJ etc…? Traditional martial arts aren’t very useful in your situation or any situation that isn’t a set up in class scenario.
[/quote]

People watch UFC and think its not the best martial art in the world, far surpassing those which have been used for thousands of years as the means for physical combat in countries other than the America’s. Yep.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
Is it necessary to get bear spray instead of pepper spray? If pepper spray would get the job done by itself, I think I should probably avoid bear spray.

[/quote]

Bear spray sprays farther and is a larger container for longer duration of spray (20+ seconds vs. 2-3 seconds). It also usually is bright orange so you can see if you are hitting the target. It also comes with a holster for “Quick draw” or carry in your hand, since it is for hikers.

[quote]
From what I’m seeing, even in self defense, there could be some legal issues of “not using it for it’s intended purposes”.[/quote]

Just say you carry it for stray dogs, which is also a major issue jogging/running at night in a subdivision. When I was in the Army, I still liked to run at night, and, for whatever reason, people really like to let their dogs out at night, or put them on a LOOOOONG chain in their front yards, such that the dog will get you unless you are in the middle of the road.