T Nation

Walk2Gym & Glycogen ?

Hey guys,

Since it’s snowy here, I cant really use my bike and I don’t have a car. So I will be walking to my gym. It’s a 3.5k walk, which should take me 30-40 minutes at a low pace.

How will this effect my glycogen storage? Will I still have enough energy to lift some heavy weights? How can I minimize the impact on my workout? Eating a banana while walking or smth?

Gr,
Kardash

(as an overfat skinnyfat guy atm, my goals are to lower my bf, while adding some strength and speed)

If your fat, then that extra bit of cardio will be good for you. Consider the walk to the gym as a warm up, and the walk home steady state cardio. In fact, if you can you should sprint home.

Keep walking fatboy.

tweet

Considering lowering your fat level appears to be your highest priority since you listed it first I wouldn’t worry about the hour and half walking each day will only help that goal

It’s walking. You will be fine.

I did this for quite some time (by choice,) back in college.

Everyone is built differently, but I would normally have a P+F or P+C meal right before leaving, walk over, sip on some BCAAs (EAAs are probably also a good idea nowadays,) and then having a carb drink toward the end of the workout, if not right as you begin walking back.

Try out a number of different things, and see what works best for you!

You are over-thinking this.

If you can’t walk for half an hour before you pick stuff up, you probably shouldn’t be picking stuff up.

I might even say you would benefit from throwing on a weighted pack/vest to better exploit the walking phase.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
If you can’t walk for half an hour before you pick stuff up, you probably shouldn’t be picking stuff up.
[/quote]

this

I was lead to beleive that you mostly use fat for fuel while doing low intensity activities like walking .

[quote]Field wrote:
I was lead to beleive that you mostly use fat for fuel while doing low intensity activities like walking .[/quote]

Yep, that is correct. Which is why I’d mostly have a P+F meal before walking to the gym that day.

[quote]theBird wrote:
If your fat, then that extra bit of cardio will be good for you. Consider the walk to the gym as a warm up, and the walk home steady state cardio. In fact, if you can you should sprint home.

Keep walking fatboy.

tweet[/quote]

That’s seriously your response to someone posting on the beginner’s forum? You’re already one of the dumbest posters on these boards–no reason for you to be an a-hole too.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
That’s seriously your response to someone posting on the beginner’s forum? You’re already one of the dumbest posters on these boards–no reason for you to be an a-hole too. [/quote]

I think you are being a bit oversensitive about this.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

I might even say you would benefit from throwing on a weighted pack/vest to better exploit the walking phase.
[/quote]

I love walking. But when I’m trying to be somewhere fast, I can’t help but getting a bit fatigue in my legs. Like today, I did the 40 minute walk to my gym. All fine, it was upper-body day. But it’s obvious I would be less fresh for a squat or a deadlift. I just wondered how I could lower the impact of the walk on those lifts. Maybe I should just bring a banana or an apple. But tbh, the workout went fine, so I don’t expect any problems on my squat day tommorow.

The pack sounds like a great idea, though that might be a bit too tiring for the legs & core?

Walking 30-40 minutes shouldn’t have any affect on your squat/deadlift, because walking and squat/deadlift don’t really have anything to do with each other besides that your legs are involved.

IF anything, a brisk 30-40 minute walk prior can make your squat/deadlift higher, by the simple virtue that your leg muscles are warmed up.

The only reasonable effect the walking can have is tiring your body out. If that happens then you just need more conditioning.

[quote]Kardash wrote:
I just wondered how I could lower the impact of the walk on those lifts. Maybe I should just bring a banana or an apple.[/quote]

Keep in mind that your glycogen stores can last for an entire day; if they couldn’t, humans would be one big fat design error. You do not need to cover every second of your day with a pre-breakfast/pre-workout/peri-workout/post-workout/pre-sleep meal.

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[/quote]

I love walking. But when I’m trying to be somewhere fast, I can’t help but getting a bit fatigue in my legs. Like today, I did the 40 minute walk to my gym. All fine, it was upper-body day. But it’s obvious I would be less fresh for a squat or a deadlift. I just wondered how I could lower the impact of the walk on those lifts. Maybe I should just bring a banana or an apple. But tbh, the workout went fine, so I don’t expect any problems on my squat day tommorow.

The pack sounds like a great idea, though that might be a bit too tiring for the legs & core?[/quote]

As others have pointed out, walking (assuming we’re not talking about some really vicious hill-climbing) involves totally different energy system demands and movement patterns than lifting and should have a negligible impact on squats/deads.

Training really doesn’t need to take place inside some perfect little bubble of freshness and optimal recovery, especially when you’re starting out. A little bit of fatigue really doesn’t matter. Actually, when I’m training hard I find mild to moderate fatigue is just a state of existence.

Bring a banana if it makes you feel better, but I really don’t think it makes too big a difference.